• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Removing Lift-the-Dot Fasteners

M

Member 10617

I need to replace my old Lift-the-Dot fasteners on my soft top with new Lift-the-Dot fasteners.

Does anyone have some guidance on how to remove the old fasteners (any special tools?) and the best way to install the new fasteners. I will use the same holes, so I don't need that special tool for punching the holes.

I have also replaced the ten TENAX fasteners, but that was (pardon the pun), a "snap."

OP
M

Member 10617

Thanks, Andy. I figured that was the case, but being new to all this I wanted to make sure.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Maybe I'm the only one this bugs... but some of the new replacements do not say 'Lift-the-Dot' on them.*

Okay, I guess none of us really need that reminder but that little instruction was part of the charm of these parts. I suppose the plain flavor are knock-offs.

I can't recall which vendors sell the 'good stuff'.

* That was what passes for a rant from me. Man, I'm gettin' really worked up -- better take it easy for a bit.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Geo Hahn said:
I can't recall which vendors sell the 'good stuff'.
I bought both some bare fasteners and a new tonneau cover from TRF about 1.5 years ago. Both had the "Lift the Dot" legends on them, just like the originals. In fact, the only difference I could see was that the originals appear to be nickel plated rather than chrome. They have a yellowish cast to the plating, while the new ones are bright white.

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
I bought about 15 "Lift-the-Dot" fasteners from the local boat shop last summer, and they all had those little instructions on them. Without that, how would you know how to use them! :laugh:

OP
M

Member 10617

Here are some good instructions I received from a tech guy at Lift-the-Dot. He was extremely helpful.

1. Removing the Lift-the-Dot

"Removing the Lift the Dot socket is fairly easy. There are four legs on the socket tha go through the foundation material and a metal back plate. The legs are then curled against the back plate to hold the socket in place. All you need to do is pry up and straighten each leg, and the socket can be removed. That being said, you should examine the condition of the material where the socket was attached and be sure it is still strong enough for the replacement socket. You may need to reinforce the areas that were originally cut out or pierced by sewing or gluing damaged spots, but still allow for the legs of the new socket to go through as required."

2. Replacing the Lift-the-Dot

"For only a few repairs, no special tool is really needed. Just insert the socket legs through the material and put the back plate in place with the legs sticking through. With the back plate facing up, keep steady pressure in the center of the plate, and carefully bend each leg down toward the plate. Once the legs are fairly flat, you can make them more flush and secure to the plate by tapping them with a non metal hammer (such as nylon or leather) or similar weighted tool. You could also place a small flat piece of wood against the legs, and tap the wood with a standard hammer at each leg location to finish up. Be careful not to hit too hard, which could damage the body of the socket. You should be able to get the sockets well secured using this approach."

Would that all companies were so helpful!

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
I didn't imagine it -- was just taking the tonneau off of the TR4 and I see that is where I have the LTDs with no instructions on them. Came with the tonneau from one of the Big 3... no need to say which one, if it really bugged me I guess I could change them.