• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Recomendations or warnings on transport services?

Adam58

Jedi Hopeful
Hi all,

I need to ship an MG from PA to CA. I used Reliable once and they were fine. This one is costing me a lot more so I really want it treated well. Any useful insights from the MG crowd? Thanks!

Adam

Steve_S

Yoda
Re: Recomendations or warnings on transport servic

Consider inspecting the car in person. A couple hundred dollars air fare is cheap insurance. As for transporting, I've used two companies I would recommend...

Reliable Transport has moved two cars for me. One from Atlanta and one from Alabama, both to Los Angeles. Both cars arrived ahead of schedule and were delivered by husband / wife teams who were car nuts. Great attention was paid to the safety and well-being of the cars during transport and unloading.

https://www.reliable-carriers.com/

The other outfit was TFX International. They were very friendly and the driver was a great guy. The car did arrive a day late but it wasn't their fault. Seems the delivery before me said there was room to turn the truck around, but when the driver got there it was a very narow road. So he had to back the truck down a twisty mountain road..... for 20 miles!! He got extra points for calling my MG YB "the cat's meow".

https://www.tfxinternational.com/

Another company I've heard spoken highly of is Horseless Carriage. They specialize in collector and exotic cars. I have no personal experience with them though.

https://www.horselesscarriage.com/

When you choose a transport company, be sure to avoid brokers. They are just a middle man, so you pay more for transport and you don't even know who is actually moving the car for you. Ask if they own their own trucks, and ask if it is enclosed or open trailer. Open is cheaper but will not protect the car from weather, rock chips, etc.

Hope this helps!

Scott_Hower

Luke Skywalker

Where in PA? I'm near Allentown...

I used DAS to ship a Spitfire from CA to PA. Enclosed carrier, top loaded. It arivved just fine, but not sure I'd use them again; they forgot to leave the keys when they dropped it off ?! Had to Fedex them to me so I could move the car (they pushed it off the truck). They were not cheap either.

19_again

Jedi Warrior

When my B was brought up from MD to NH, it was carried under a pickup with a leaky rear end, made a mess of my roof. It cleaned up but was a real pain. I specifically requested upper level storage, but who knows what really happens. I used Transport Executives, their price was in the middle of 4-5 that I got. I would spend more for enclosed and some assurance of positioning vis-a-vis other vehicles of varying conditions on the same rig. JMHO

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag

I shipped my TD from CA to NY and used Passport Transport. Flawless service. I had great communication & the car arrived when expected.

Recently I used to BT Auto Tansport to transport my Expedition from OK. to NY. WHAT A NIGHTMARE! It took over a Month and I had to go get it in Jersey. He claimed it was too tall to fit over the George Washington Bridge. Gee how did all the the other Expeditions get to Long Island Jacka$$. It was pick up & pay the balance in cash. I took $175 right off the top and he could not say boo about it. I also contacted my credit card company and they are trying to get me back my deposit. Next time I'll check the BBB.

Rant over. I'm calm now.

Good luck transporting your buggy.
Vince

100DashSix

Jedi Trainee
Country flag

The car in my signature was shipped by something like "Reliable Auto Movers" (not sure the exact name anymore). To be fair, it was a fluke that it happened, and they were very quick about admitting fault and fixing the situation.

And Allentown? I went to school for two years up near there, and it's right next to where I got my MG: in Bethlehem.

Scott_Hower

Luke Skywalker

100DashSix said:
And Allentown? I went to school for two years up near there, and it's right next to where I got my MG: in Bethlehem.

I aquired my MBA (and my wife) at Moravian College. LOVE Bethlehem.

OP
Adam58

Adam58

Jedi Hopeful

Alrighty then....

I'm back from my weekend trip so I'll reply to all of you who have provided such useful feedback.

- I WON'T use a broker, BT or Transport Executives.
- I'd like to use Passport but they quoted me over $2600!
- I'll check out TFX International since they seem to like YB's ;- )
- Steve_S and I had good luck w/ Reliable so I may go with them.
- Has anyone dealt with Dependable Auto Transport?

I know I should go look at the car. Probably should have prior to purchase. I'll see what I can work out. Bad timing.
Maybe I can get ahold of a local club member out there.

OP
Adam58

Adam58

Jedi Hopeful

Green Lane, zip 18054

OP
Adam58

Adam58

Jedi Hopeful

Hey Scott,

Thanks sooooooo much for being willing to go look at the car and for your encouraging words. I enjoyed meeting you on the net, in email and on the phone. Maybe we can meet in person someday! I do have some connections in your area so I will let you know if I have a reason to be out that way. And... If you are in L.A. please look me up!

In the meantime, I don't have time to post a lot but I'll look for you on the forum.

I'll let you know when Reliable Carrier drops it on my doorstep. I hope it's this week or I will have to delay heading up to MG2007.

Adam

Bruce74B

Jedi Knight

Does it strike anybody else as odd that someone would ship a PA car to CA??? LOL

Scott_Hower

Luke Skywalker

Adam - my pleasure. So the car has been loaded already? Scratch that, I just got the photos you emailed me. Looks great!

Brooklands

Yoda
Gold
Country flag

100DashSix said:

Another Allentown member here...graduated from Lehigh after Allentown Schools. Stop by if you are ever coming back here.

mccalebr

Jedi Knight

I just sold a vintage Bugeye race car to some folks in CA; I live in GA. They went through a broker who negotiated the transport with an independent transporter. The fellow that showed up to pick up the car OWNS the business (truck). It was a modern Freightliner with a new enclosed car carrier trailer. Being a race car it was winched on rather than driven. He mostly moves Jags and is a former SCCA racer himself. Nice guy, knowledgeable, efficient. Reasonable...I don't know...the buyer paid for the shipping. BUT, if I were moving a car he'd be the first one I'd call. His contact info:

109 Transport
Cim I. Miller
602-803-0032

He's out of Phoenix but does routinely scheduled coast to coast moves.

Ray

OP
Adam58

Adam58

Jedi Hopeful

Thanks much to everyone for the suggestions!

I ended up going back to Reliable Carriers. In fact, my YB arrived saftly here in the L.A. area a ccouple weeks ago.

I've used them twice now and they have been very nice to work with and have not given me any problems. It turns out, too, that they have a depot in Sun Valley in the north-east San Fernando Valley. so, if the car is drivable, we Valley folk can save money by scheduling to that point instead of home delivery.

Also, I got 2 quotes from them. The on-line quote was about $200 cheaper for the same service. Go figure?!

Adam

MadRiver

Jedi Knight
Bronze
Country flag

My father and I use Intercity Lines without exception. https://www.intercitylines.com. Ask for Bob Sellers. They are truly fantastic. My father has used them for years to ship some very serious automobiles to Pebble Beach, Amelia Island, etc. without any problems whatsoever. In fact, we're getting ready to load up a '37 AC 16/80 for Pebble Beach in the next few days. I also used them to ship my Tiger. Your car will be very well taken care of! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbsup.gif

B.

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag

Lets see some pics of that YB.

OP
Adam58

Adam58

Jedi Hopeful

Thanks for asking!

I don't have web page yet so I'll post pics on the members' cars page soon. Tonight I want to post pics of my BGT after today's rear-ender. I'll start a new thread w/ details.

Safety at ANY speed!

Adam