• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Rebinding electrical harness in cloth?

JOeyKnapp

Jedi Hopeful
After reading the BaT story, I looked around the site and saw a reference to this:
https://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280892835266+&viewitem=#v4-41

The guy said the harness had be rebound in cloth. I would love to do that to mine.

Is there a source for the original style cloth? I did a search here and couldn't find anything.

Thanks!

(tomorrow is our last day of post-planning at school, I will try and get some pictures of my project up in the next few days... :smile: )

OP
J

JOeyKnapp

Jedi Hopeful
Hmm.. on closer inspection it looks like he could have just wrapped the harness with cloth tape.

My harness seems to be in good shape, but I would love an original (type) cloth binding for it.. Anyone know of a source?

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I had my custom, homemade harness for the Prefect bound at Rhode Island Wiring last year. Not cheap but they did a beautiful job. They charged a one-time $5 setup plus $4 per foot. I thought it was well worth the price. Here is a composite sample as I am in the process of installing it, two under the bonnet and two under the dash. Yes, that one wire taped outside the harness was my mistake, added after I received it back.

Attachments

• 28752.jpg
    28752.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 260

Whitephrog

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
OP
J

JOeyKnapp

Jedi Hopeful
So, when you send a harness to Rhode Island Wiring do you just tape up the sections that belong together and mark where the harness would split off?

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Right. I taped mine at about 6 or 8 inch intervals and carefully taped each branch where necessary. I also included instructions to stop the braiding at the last tape at each end. I also phoned to discuss all this first and got any advice necessary. They were really helpful.

OP
J

JOeyKnapp

Jedi Hopeful
I guess I will lay my harness out and measure it and determine whether or not to buy a new one or get mine wrapped..

OP
J

JOeyKnapp

Jedi Hopeful
this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-4-EXPANDABLE-S...=item53db15ab97

might be a good alternative for me. I know I will be changing to an alternator from the start, but I would hate to pay for cloth binding and then need to alter the harness down the road. That place has a variety of different tech-flex colors and patterns. Maybe I will go with that. I don't want it to look like a modern harness, though..

Glen_B

Jedi Trainee
I'm doing a 62 Mini harness right now and I'm using what I've used on all my LBCs
Black cotton cloth bicycle bar tape. Bit for the lack of colored tracer threads, it looks good.
It's rare to find in bike shops anymore but easily obtained from Amazon. About four rolls for a Sprite, five for a Morris, not sure yet for the Mini. It can be undone for corrections up to a point. At about $3 per roll, you get a new looking black cloth covered harness.

OP
J

JOeyKnapp

Jedi Hopeful
Glen, there is also a tape that Home Depot sells called "friction Tape". It looks like electrical tape, but it is cloth. I thought about using that, but I wanted a little color in there too... I still have some time to decide..

OP
J

JOeyKnapp

Jedi Hopeful
Thanks for the info, bob. I used it on some stereo wiring in my Jetta, because it matched the factory stuff. It is inside, so I guess it stays ok..

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Instead of friction tape (because of the problem mentioned above) you can get a similar cloth tape from British Wiring that looks good but does not get sticky on the outside. A little more expensive but well worth the difference.

nomad

Yoda
bobhustead said:
Friction tape tends go get very gooey on the outside over time. It has the cloth look, but I wouldn't use it.
Bob

Theres a reason baseball player's used to wrap the grip's of bats with the stuff. Least we did when we were kids.

Kurt.