• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Radio Blanking Plate

L

LarryO

Have any of you bought and installed one of the blanking plates for the "radio hole" in your console? I'm tired of looking at the hole and have decided I don't want to install a radio...I wouldn't be able to hear it anyway. I just use my pocket MP3 player and ear buds...or a full headset.

The plate offered by Victoria British looks nice, but does it really fit? At the bottom edge of the hole on my 74, there is only about a 1/8 inch or less flat surface before the angle of the surface changes. I don't want to buy one if it won't fit.

Thanks.

Tom

Larry, wouldn't a 74 have face level vents in that hole?

Also if you want a different look you could always put some supplemental guages in the hole (see attached photo) I have the dimensions for the blank of this if it is of interest btw, had it cut from steel, and painted in wrinkle finish and the clamps for the guages also keep the plate in place.

p82100235xj.jpg

regards

Excellent job on the dash there.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I've got one in the dash of my '67 GT - looks great - nice fit

lawguy

Jedi Knight
While use of earbuds or earphones while driving may be legal, personally, I don't think it's a positive practice.

Just my 2 cents.

69MGC

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Driving with headphones or earbuds in California is a traffic violation. Don't know if the laws are the same in Tenn. but you should check.

I'm installing Miata seats that have the speakers in the headrests in my next MGB project, so hearing the radio shouldn't be a problem.

Bret

Yoda
I have one of those removable security type radio face plates on my B’s Kenwood stereo.

Now normally I don't remove it because it looks kind of ugly without anything there (better than a hole I guess) but it’s only intended as a theft deterrent and not cosmetic.

Anyway I've thought about getting one of the MG plates and shaving it off to fit in place of the removable plate for show & shines. Might be kind of cool looking. Anyone tried this?

Bret

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
I've not tried that sort of thing with removeable face plate radios, but I HAVE done it with removeable radios. I have an older removeable Apline CD player. In my last car I saved the blanking plate and stuck it in the hole that the radio left behind when it was removed. Worked well for that type for radio. It would probably work just as good for a removable face plate radio too. However, the only thing that might make it look odd on a removeable face plate radio depends on how the radio was installed. If the radio is counter sunk to make the face plate flush with the dash, then it ought to look nice with the blanking plate on. If the radio sticks out at all (like most installs I've seen) then the blanking plate might look a little odd, because it might not sit flush with the dash like it should.

I still have the radio, and I'm planning on doing the same thing in the B when I get the gramlins removed.

Bret

Yoda
Well it might work ok with mine because it has a dark gray face plate & fram. Fram sticks out about a 1/4" so it might not look that bad. Just don't know if I want to hack up a perfictly good MG blanking plate to find out. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Anyway here's a pick of my setup.
180567-XMStereo.JPG

Attachments

• 180567-XMStereo.JPG
    180567-XMStereo.JPG
    72 KB · Views: 75

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
could work out ok, with careful planning and execution. I definitely wouldn't use an "original" blanking plate to do it with. One of the reproductions ought to be suitable though.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Buy two: One fer practice.

Izzat yer goat ropin' footgear there Bret? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

Bret

Yoda
[ QUOTE ]
Buy two: One fer practice.

Izzat yer goat ropin' footgear there Bret? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Saw that did ya. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif Like that country song says; “I was country when, country wasn’t cool”. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Tom

Attached is apdf of the blanking plate for a MGB MGC, I believe it is the same size whether or not it's centre console or dashboard.

The two here were for use when putting in 50mm (that's 2" to you folks) guages but the outside dims would work just as well for a radio adaptor plate.

I also have this drawing as a DXF (CAD format) file which any competent profile cutting shop could use to cutit out of plate/sheet material.

It saves butchering an original plate...

regards

Tom

Attachments

• 180830-BlankTemplates.pdf
    7.4 KB · Views: 105

Bugeye58

Yoda
[ QUOTE ]

50mm (that's 2" to you folks)

regards

Tom

[/ QUOTE ]

Tom, 50.8 mm would be 2" to us folks. 50mm would be 1.9685"

Jeff /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Pickin' nits, there, Jeff.

Thanks.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Showoff. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

Tom

Jeff

Touche'

in my capacity as a Draftsman I would agree 1"=25.4mm
so 2" = 50.8mm

but......

In my capacity as an MG owner the Smiths guages I got for the dashes in my cars are listed as 50mm or 2" (the holes are 52mm).

btw what I forgot to mention before is that when printed fullsize (check the dimensions after printing) the pdfs are fullsize templates so you don't have to convert these pagan figures /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

btw Steve what you doin' with a right hook man? that's a bit outta it's place ain't it? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif

regards

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
"PAGAN"?!?! heh...

What's life without a little FUDGE now and again?! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif