• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A TRIUMPH Radio?

jfcdo

Silver
Country flag
As I was going through boxes of old parts for my 1955 Triumph TR2, I came across a radio.
As the front of the radio dial has TRIUMPH printed on it, I expect that it may be the original radio for this car.
Does anyone have information about what kind of radio came with the Triumph in 1955?
Thanks for any information that others can provide.
JC

Attachments

• 20220710_170838.jpg
    20220710_170838.jpg
    296.4 KB · Views: 100
  • 20220710_170742.jpg
    20220710_170742.jpg
    227.9 KB · Views: 93
  • 20220710_170554.jpg
    20220710_170554.jpg
    343.5 KB · Views: 94

Sarastro

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
Radios were a dealer-installed option, so none really came with the car. That said, the radios they installed were invaribly Triumph branded, as yours is. The use of vacuum tubes is consistent with a 1955 car. Beyond that, it's hard for me to say. You might look around inside for a date code on a part or on the radio itself. That 'installed date" stamp is intriguing, but probably the date was on a label, which is long gone.

TRopic6

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
JC, It looks like the 2-tube Bendix radio that was fitted to some early (mine at least) TR4s ~62-63. Does the chrome faceplate with the dial & pointer come completely off? Jeff

OP
J

jfcdo

Silver
Country flag
Thanks for the replies. Yes, it appears that there was a label where the date installed stamp is. The label, as you said, is long gone but there are traces of adhesive, likely from an old label.
The chrome plate on the front comes off completely.
I have wanted to connect this to a battery to see if it works, but I'm not sure where to connect the leads. It has one wire and I expect that the case goes to ground. I am always a bit cautious as the cars' normal electrical system is positive ground. The one wire attaches to the inside of the metal case and not to the circuit board. I want to make sure before I start connecting a power source.
Any suggestions?
Thanks again, Jack

TRopic6

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
There should be a small 'button' on one side, which is a plug to select + or - ground. You have to pull it out and line up a notch with the desired polarity. I'm going of distant memory though. Should be some wires for a single speaker too.

NeilRogers

Country flag
I haven't seen a TR2 with a radio. The only original ones that I've seen in a TR3 are Radiomobile and PYE.

OP
J

jfcdo

Silver
Country flag
Thanks for your reply. I will take a look for that plug and I will post some other photos.
I believe that I see where the speaker connects. Update this later today.
Thanks again

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
In the second image that appears to be a power transistor mounted to the chassis. Is that possible for a 1955 radio?!? I believe that radio came from a later time.

Graham H

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
If you look at TeriAnn's Triumph TR2-3B web page she has some good info on the early radio instalations.

Graham

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
In the second image that appears to be a power transistor mounted to the chassis. Is that possible for a 1955 radio?!? I believe that radio came from a later time.

Yep - closer to 1962.

"R2BT4 was documented in the June 1963 issue of SAMS Auto Radio". (from TR3Driver Randall, RIP)

NeilRogers

Country flag
If you look at TeriAnn's Triumph TR2-3B web page she has some good info on the early radio instalations.

Graham
The photos of the radio installation on TeriAnn's website are from my car. They were taken at the Portland All British Meet in 1987 or 1988.

OP
J

jfcdo

Silver
Country flag
Thanks for the information and comments.
I located a copy of June 1963 issue of SAMS Auto Radio, so after I have a chance to read through that, I expect to know more about this radio.
I still don't know whether or not it works, but at least I found a source for replacement tube.
I will update again as I learn more.
Thanks again to all.

Jim_Stevens

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
On a related topic, there should already be a speaker cutout on the pax side wheel well, with a rain gutter above it to protect the speaker‘s paper cone. I also discovered an antenna mounting hole just forward of the windscreen. Jim