• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Problems installing Geo Metro radiator into Bugeye

DanLewis

Jedi Trainee
I bought a brand new Geo Metro radiator to install in my BE. Like all the posts have mentioned, I made sure to get one meant for a Geo with an automatic transmission. I even paid extra to get an all metal construction with two rows. I fabricated some nice aluminum mounts (one on either side of the radiator), set it as low as it would go in the BE (see photos), but it turns out to be too tall by about 3/4" and the bonnet won't close! There's plenty of room between it and the water pump, so since the bonnet slopes up, my next idea is to use some rather large spacers to move it closer to the engine. If that doesn't work, then I guess I'll put it on eBay and buy one of those Chinese made aluminum radiators! Anyone have any experience with the Geo Metro radiator in a BE and can tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Follow up: 'Tried moving the radiator back as close to the water pump as it would go (thinking I could put the electric fan on the front as a pusher). No luck - the bonnet still won't close. :-(

'Wish I knew how people have been able to put this radiator in a BE!

Dan

IMG_6095.JPG IMG_6096.JPG IMG_6097.JPG

bug_sixty

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
why not the later model OEM crossflow... better because... the larger the surface area exposed to the airflow the more efficient the cooling....that's what the theorist say anyway

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
All I can think of is the OEM Radiator did indeed fit. Aftermarlket are meant for multiple vehicles.

OP
DanLewis

DanLewis

Jedi Trainee
why not the later model OEM crossflow... better because... the larger the surface area exposed to the airflow the more efficient the cooling....that's what the theorist say anyway

Several posts I've read say that the crossflow is really no better than the downflow.

All I can think of is the OEM Radiator did indeed fit. Aftermarlket are meant for multiple vehicles.

That very well may be the difference. I didn't pull a used radiator from a Geo parts car, but I just assumed that a new one made for that car would be the same. 'Live and learn. :-(

That may entirily be true. What about just tilting the top toward the engine a'la Corvette?

I think I'd have to also pull the bottom forward too. Apparently this radiator is really just too tall. I'm going to call the vendor on Monday and see if they'll refund my money since it's never had water in it.

Dan

nomad

Yoda
Somewhere there are pic's of the Geo radiator fitted to Frank Clarici's [Sprite Nut] Bug eye. I think he is the one that originated the idea.

Kurt.

PHerder

Jedi Hopeful
Be advised that some of the aluminum ones are built to fit both manual and automatic, i.e. "universal fit" which makes them too tall to fit our application. Before purchasing any Metro radiators, insure you get a total height measurement, not just the core measurement.

Don't ask me how I know.:sorrow:

Anyone need a Metro all aluminum, one row radiator? Only $60... Too tall for the Spridget, darn it...

Decided to go the fully monty and got one of these.

https://tinyurl.com/blkussl

It looks good, will add bling to the engine compartment and it fits!

OP
DanLewis

DanLewis

Jedi Trainee
Hi Paul,

Be advised that some of the aluminum ones are built to fit both manual and automatic, i.e. "universal fit" which makes them too tall to fit our application. Before purchasing any Metro radiators, insure you get a total height measurement, not just the core measurement.

Don't ask me how I know.:sorrow:

Anyone need a Metro all aluminum, one row radiator? Only $60... Too tall for the Spridget, darn it...

Decided to go the fully monty and got one of these.

https://tinyurl.com/blkussl

It looks good, will add bling to the engine compartment and it fits!

'Sounds like you and I have been down the same road! :smile-new: This is the Geo Metro radiator I bought:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/400358588292?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Fortunately, I think I can get the seller to take my Geo Metro radiator back on an RMA since it's never had water in it and because they mistakenly advertised it as a 3-row when in fact it is only a 2-row. And 'funny, but that aluminum radiator is exactly the one I was thinking of buying to replace the Geo Metro one. My only reservation was wondering how well it cooled since it and the OE BE radiator are both 2-row radiators. Have you noticed a significant improvement? Does it keep the engine cool at idle and when air is moving through the radiator at speed? How hot has the weather been and how high did your temperature gauge read? Is your BE running a 1275? Any engine mods?

Dan

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
As a last resort, how about having a rad shop notch out the two lower tank corners? PJ

BlueMax

Jedi Warrior
Conclusion on radiators are not always seemingly of the quality of what you get. For example, high end radiators such as Serck, Ron Davis, Griffin are not just your functional radiator. These radiators are custom made with cores that have three times the cooling compactly as the OE radiator. These high end radiators have cooling fins with very tinny little air scoops that catch air to pull the heat out of the core quicker. These cores are dynamically tested for their CFM air flows for optimum performance. So keep in mind the value of your power plant is subject to the down falls of its cooling system when purchasing.

MikeMcKay

The installation by Frank Clarci is on SpriteSpot.com under the cooling section. Topic is modern smaller radiator for your A series Spridget. I noticed he was using a Speedwell bonnet which looked like it was hinged from front. He also mentioned getting it straight out of a junkyard. I have put this one in a 73 midget. The bottom of your radiator looked like it mounted the same distance from the bottom rails. My radiator measures about 17-17 1/2" high including the cap. Some also mentioned having a problem getting it to mount in a bugeye. I think I also got mine from Genesis. It is a close fit even in the Midget.