• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Power door locks!

G

Hi all,

Has anyone installed power door locks on there spridget? I have seen one on line where a MGB was converted but the mechanism looks different. Just think it would be cool not to have to use that little dinkey key to get he door open. Any pictures and where to get the actuators would be helpful.

Thanks,
Carl

Country flag
OK, I have to ask... why would you lock the doors?

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
OH! so he will not have to use that little dinkey key to open the doors.--Keoke-- :laugh:

scubabatdan

Jedi Trainee
Why climb the mountain? Because it was there...

If you want to install a keyless entry check out this kit, it is universal:
2 Door power locks

You will also need this (The keyless entry bob):
Keyless entry bob

Well let us know what you find and how it works :smile:
Dan

Country flag
I'm not trying to discourage him or subvert the thread, I was just curious if there was a legitimate use for the locks.

Personally, I'd remove the door handles all together.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Never a legitimate reason to lock a soft top convertible!

OP
G

Well, I'm not sure why I would want to lock the doors. Keep honest people honest maybe???? Anyone could get into the car if they really wanted to. Even if it had a hard top. Maybe it would be the perfect companion to an alarm? I can think of lots of reasons why people lock there car doors.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
But nobody who's owned convertibles for any amount of time locks convertible doors! Put valuables in the trunk & leave the doors open lest you get a slashed top!

jhorton3

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Locking doors on a convertible usually means a slashed top when someone steals out of your car. Although here lately the intelligence of the thieves has diminished, as they're not checking the doors and slashing the top anyway. Destructive beastly things.

I think I'd go along the lines of shaving the door handles too and pop in solenoids to open the doors. Old school hot rod trick.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
What are these door locks you speak of? Next you'll be talking about exterior door handles.
grin.gif

Country flag
Tony mentioned something about a trunk too. What's that?

scubabatdan

Jedi Trainee
Of course if they really want in they will no matter what car you own, call it a deterant. At least you can tell the police office with a straight face that you locked it, so no issues with the insurance company. Since any theft of propery will not be covered if you fail to lock your car. The police report will describe the vandalization and if the car locks were jimmied. In some instances it is wise to lock your car. Just my opinion from 24 years in the Army, the post policy was any theft on a vehicle that was not secured properly would not be covered.
Yes it is easy to get into a convertable, but it is prudent to secure your belongings, unless you dont care.
Dan

Atrus

Jedi Warrior
jhorton3 said:
I think I'd go along the lines of shaving the door handles too and pop in solenoids to open the doors. Old school hot rod trick.

That's what I eventually plan on doing. Just looks so much better shaved of handles and locks.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
scubabatdan said:
Of course if they really want in they will no matter what car you own, call it a deterant. At least you can tell the police office with a straight face that you locked it, so no issues with the insurance company. Since any theft of propery will not be covered if you fail to lock your car. The police report will describe the vandalization and if the car locks were jimmied. In some instances it is wise to lock your car. Just my opinion from 24 years in the Army, the post policy was any theft on a vehicle that was not secured properly would not be covered.
Yes it is easy to get into a convertable, but it is prudent to secure your belongings, unless you dont care.
Dan
Daniel - possibly true except policies vary from post to post - &, even then, they are only guidelines (I was an IG once)...For example: one of my MG's & about 20 other sportscars were vandalized one night at FT Leavenworth...a teenager who lived on post, CID later proved....naturally, my MGB wasn't locked & when the post started the investigation (Army had liability because when a person lives on post, the Army assumes responsibility for safety) & they asked me if my car was locked, I pointed out the idiocracy of locking a car with a cloth top - & the fact that the top had been sliced even though the doors were unlocked (& the doors keyed though nothing stolen - he just went down the street keying cars & slashing tops)! The Army paid off & repaired every car (& after finding the culprit, moved the family off post!) even though several were unlocked.

But you caused me to think.....so, I called USAA and asked them the question because you brought up a point I'd never thought about...the example I gave was my Mercedes 380SL, if the radio was stolen but the door not locked - would they cover the damage? They looked at my insurance policy (same as everybody's policy) & said that specific issue isn't specifically covered...the supervisor then said they would look at which would've been better for both me & them: a $500 radio or a $1000 top & a $500 radio....in that instance, she said they would prefer to just replace a radio, not a top & a radio! But, either way, she said they would cover me whether or not the car was locked.

Matter of preference, IMO....I hate installing tops!

jvandyke

Luke Skywalker
scubabatdan said:
Since any theft of propery will not be covered if you fail to lock your car. The police report will describe the vandalization and if the car locks were jimmied. In some instances it is wise to lock your car. Just my opinion from 24 years in the Army, the post policy was any theft on a vehicle that was not secured properly would not be covered.
Dan

My '63 doesn't have locks or door handles on the outside. Can't lock it if you want to. Same for BE and early Sprites. Lots of unlockable cars.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
tony barnhill said:
Never a legitimate reason to lock a soft top convertible!

Not so. I had a Suzuki Samurai. Locked the doors when the top down and unlocked with top up. Because you couldn't reach in to unlock, figured if people saw someone crawling in the back, it might occur to someone that the car was being stolen.

:thumbsup:

BIBBER

Jedi Knight
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:] & they asked me if my car was locked[/QUOTE]

answer: of course it was locked
later: forgive me father for I have sinned

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
BIBBER said:
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:] & they asked me if my car was locked

answer: of course it was locked
later: forgive me father for I have sinned [/QUOTE]

OK, you're forgiven :angel:

see another use for the BCF :laugh:

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Have never had a top on Miss Agatha.

BIBBER

Jedi Knight
:lol:so what you're saying is you can always lock the doors and not have to worry about getting your top sliced open!!!

Carl...sorry....we really hijacked this thread..