• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Panther Lima Restomod

OP
mezy

mezy

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
mezy , I hate this rear brake setup.When we ran the live axel on the "Rat Patrol" it was ever the big problem.
Finished up the last 4 hours of a race only by blocking off the rear brake line at the master. Which cut over a second a lap off everyone;s
lap times, (oddly enough braking makes things slower.) But it was terrifying, the front brakes were hardly up to the job in the
beginning, and were so badly warped in the first hour that hitting the brakes almost shook out your fillings!
We went to disc brakes in the rear. Not a hard thing to do Miata rear disc fit nicely re-used the tr7 front calipers after fitting Tr8
units up front. On a street car , the Miata rears could well have been fitted and saved the E brake Mazda used.....
Mad dog
Had a heck of a game tracking them down. Found three places that had stock. The magnum axle came with either Lockheed or girling. Sods law I got Lockheed. All new now. When they wear out I will probably do a disc conversion. Brake drums were the same the only company that produced them stopped production this year and one supplier bought all remaining stock.

mctriumph

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
The one thing we did on the Tr7 racer, that made a huge difference, was to change the bolt pattern to
4X 100mm. This opens up a universe of wheel options and TIRES!!
The doughnuts are critical for traction!!
Mad dog

OP
mezy

mezy

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
The one thing we did on the Tr7 racer, that made a huge difference, was to change the bolt pattern to
4X 100mm. This opens up a universe of wheel options and TIRES!!
The doughnuts are critical for traction!!
Mad dog
The Lima, being vauxhall based, is 4" PCD on the wheel bolts,
Thet fitted alloys on the Turbo version and some series 2 models, I think they look more inkeeping with the style of the car
with the wire wheels, I will see a bit neerer the time, when i have the rubber pulled off them what they spin up like,
if they are a bag of poo, i will have to re think as new ones are now ÂŁ448 each plus ÂŁ8.50 a nut from MWS.
not a lot of difference to get them rebuilt,
There is allways the option to fit knock off hubs on it , :unsure:

mctriumph

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
I for one, like very much like the modern stainless spoked wire wheels (Dayton) Ran them
for several decades on the Tr4 we owned and drove 50 K miles in it.
My wife says she would prefer them on the Morgan when it is roadworthy. Quite a statement
from an otherwise thrifty lady....
The Miata motor did roar to life finally after fighting some bad (brand new ) wiring. Still
a few more circuits to sort out but there is light at the end of the tunnel.
Lucas switches not with standing......
Mad dog

Attachments

• IMG_20230820_131101139.jpg
    IMG_20230820_131101139.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 17
OP
mezy

mezy

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I for one, like very much like the modern stainless spoked wire wheels (Dayton) Ran them
for several decades on the Tr4 we owned and drove 50 K miles in it.
My wife says she would prefer them on the Morgan when it is roadworthy. Quite a statement
from an otherwise thrifty lady....
The Miata motor did roar to life finally after fighting some bad (brand new ) wiring. Still
a few more circuits to sort out but there is light at the end of the tunnel.
Lucas switches not with standing......
Mad dog
Thats a nice looking set up, Glad you got your wiring sorted, I m using the original MX5 loom, although the bits not needed stripped out,
Body back on but needed to adjust the steering column quite a lot due to it being too close to the windscreen, if i just dropped the column at the business end it made it reduce leg clearance making it difficult to get in and out,
The nice new chrome and wood steering wheel i bought had to be cut up made into a 12" and re wooded, this solved a lot of clearance problems.
Getting too cold and damp now to do a lot to the panther, will be getting wrapped up for winter in the next couple of weeks.

mctriumph

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Not too sure what to do with the Morgan steering wheel . I restored it, but it is really too big
and not necessary with the rack& pinion (Triumph Tr4) Perhaps more sacrilege is called for??.
Mad dog