• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

79 Panther Lima Series 2 turbocharged

BillD

I've just acquired a '79 Panther Lima Series 2 turbocharged beauty. It has 14,000 on the clock and has spent most of its life in storage. It starts and run well but has exhaust issues (there is a broken pipe -- not rusted through looks like a mover used the pipe as an anchor point-- that will be easily welded) and the brakes feel spongy but still function smoothly. The finish is oxidized but it should respond well to some standard TLC. I've had a big Healey (100-6) and two bug-eyed Sprites (still have the 1960 BE) and have gotten very spoiled with availability of parts and manuals. I'm looking for help in finding information and parts sources fort this beautiful survivor as I take it to the roads of Georgia from its current storage mode. Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated. I'm especially interested in MC replacement, rebuild or substitution options for the brake issues - especially sourcing on this side of the pond.

Thanks in advance, :eek:
Bill D.
0502141407.jpg0502141410.jpg0502141415.jpg0502141416.jpg

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Never heard of one! Beauty?? Kinda ugly in my book! Sorry. Assuming it's all fiberglass, was it a kit, a home built? What components are in it, such as engine make, transmission, rear differential etc? I've been around a long time and this is a first for me. :rolleyes: PJ

OP
BillD

BillD

It is a very weird British beast but its design, even the strange color scheme, grew on me. Definitely not a kit. A Google Search will give you detailed information but about 900 of the Lima model were produced and 200 of the series II, even fewer with the turbo option. The body is high-end fiberglass on a purpose built frame using Vauxhall components. The cockpit is cramped (duh) but nicely appointed in leather and walnut. There were some Lotus engineers involved with the development of the car and the handling is reputed to be excellent. The performance with the turbo charged 2.3L slant four gave it a reported top end of 125mph and an impressive 0-60 time of 5.9 seconds. It should be fun.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Definitely a "cult" car. Does look like fun - good luck with it!

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
I know nothing about the car, but if it has a Vauxhall slant 4 engine, they were of heavy castings and very tough. a racing version has the ability to be modified to produce well over 225 hp! Quite an engine to say the least. PJ

OP
BillD

BillD

I know nothing about the car, but if it has a Vauxhall slant 4 engine, they were of heavy castings and very tough. a racing version has the ability to be modified to produce well over 225 hp! Quite an engine to say the least. PJ

It uses the Vauxhall slant 4 (2.3L) engine. With the AirResearch turbocharger, the factory claimed 150hp. The body is about the same size and weight as a Mark I Sprite, so this made for a pretty interesting ride. I special Lotus head was available that increased the frisky factor by a significant amount.

There is a very active club in England but "cult" may be a better term.
BillDl

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
As the owner of the only other slant four on the forum, try the droop snoot group for engine info https://droopsnootgroup.yuku.com there is also a Vauxhall Viva Club with a good parts scheme. You are correct that you will require shipping from the UK but stuff is available. Congrats by the way!

OP
BillD

BillD

As the owner of the only other slant four on the forum, try the droop snoot group for engine info https://droopsnootgroup.yuku.com there is also a Vauxhall Viva Club with a good parts scheme. You are correct that you will require shipping from the UK but stuff is available. Congrats by the way!

Thanks for the information. Once I feel around the car a bit, I'll definitely get involved with these groups. Just a couple of quick questions about the initial refreshing: Oil filter - It looks like a either a FRAM PH966B or a WIX 51374 will work on this engine - is that correct? Spark plugs - It looks like NGK 2623-BPR6FS or Champion RV9YC with a 0.8mm gap will work - Correct?

Thanks in advance,
BILL D

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Cool little car! Looks wise the only thing I think is less then nice are those bumpers, they look like an after thought. I'm willing to bet it goes like snot.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Thanks for the information. Once I feel around the car a bit, I'll definitely get involved with these groups. Just a couple of quick questions about the initial refreshing: Oil filter - It looks like a either a FRAM PH966B or a WIX 51374 will work on this engine - is that correct? Spark plugs - It looks like NGK 2623-BPR6FS or Champion RV9YC with a 0.8mm gap will work - Correct?

Thanks in advance,
BILL D

Bill I am out of town till Thursday will check when I get home. Though in the interest of full disclosure, mine is a 2.0 not a 2.3.

OP
BillD

BillD

Thanks so much for your help. There is no rush for the requested information. I'd like to work up a list of alternative parts and maintenance items that are available without trans-Atlantic shipping. It is nice to know that the parts are available in England and the internet makes obtaining them possible, albeit slow and expensive. I guess what I really want is to discover that these parts are magically interchangeable with parts from a '79 Chevy or something and are all available at the local AutoZone. ;)

Thanks,

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Most aren't :( however, to at least tempt you, my rear seal is out of a '66 Chevelle :p

OP
BillD

BillD

The turbo charged Lima is back on the road and running like a dream. A lot of the parts turned out to be cross-referenced to parts available on this side of the pond so putting it together wasn't the impossible task it seemed. Here's a short video of one of the first rides. I handles like a true sports car while being very comfortable and very, very British. I'm in love with this quirky machine!!

I love the exhaust note. When viewing the video, I strongly suggest turning up the sound and using a good sound system preferably one with a sub-woofer.

​https://youtu.be/TVs9-iYwFko​

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Congrats on getting it on the road!

If you get the chance, Springtime in the Smokies is a great show, held here in Townsend in May. Mark it on your calendar and bring that puppy up here! Tail of the Dragon is close by and I'll bet that would be a blast to run.

Mickey

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
The turbo charged Lima is back on the road and running like a dream. A lot of the parts turned out to be cross-referenced to parts available on this side of the pond so putting it together wasn't the impossible task it seemed. Here's a short video of one of the first rides. I handles like a true sports car while being very comfortable and very, very British. I'm in love with this quirky machine!!

I love the exhaust note. When viewing the video, I strongly suggest turning up the sound and using a good sound system preferably one with a sub-woofer.

​https://youtu.be/TVs9-iYwFko​

fantastic! Any chance of sharing that cross referenced list?

OP
BillD

BillD

The big parts break was the discovery that a lot of the chassis components from Vauxhall were taken from Lotus and Jaguar components that were used in cars imported into the US. In addition, Ford was involved so the 1974 Mercury Capri imported from Germany used a lot of these same parts. While this didn't work perfectly, the matches were frequent and the misses were close enough so that they could be modified or the actual match could be located. The essential element in getting everything to work was a parts supplier who was intrigued by the "impossibility" of finding available parts for this delightfully quirky car. (For example the rear brake cylinders looked almost exactly like those from a Mercury Capri but the Capri used a slightly different external attachment point. The actual cylinder with correct mounting point seems to have come from a cross referenced Jaguar slave cylinder of the period -- just as available but slightly more expensive. The internals of the cylinders and therefore rebuild kits were identical. The hydraulic hoses are the exact dimensions of those on the Capri but the end fittings were threaded differently. The actual match were easily obtained from this information and the skill set of an experienced parts guru.) I'll be able to review my receipts and provide a cross referenced list for the brake parts that worked for me but I'm not sure if this will work for your Vauxhall, or even if it will work for other Panther Limas as the cars have a reputation for being very "individualized" during the assembly process especially during the shift from the 700 Series I cars which were based on a relatively stock Vauxhall Viva/Magnum chassis to the 200 Series II cars which used a purpose built frame and had much more input from Lotus engineers and parts bins.

Juran

Freshman Member
Country flag
I've just acquired a '79 Panther Lima Series 2 turbocharged beauty. It has 14,000 on the clock and has spent most of its life in storage. It starts and run well but has exhaust issues (there is a broken pipe -- not rusted through looks like a mover used the pipe as an anchor point-- that will be easily welded) and the brakes feel spongy but still function smoothly. The finish is oxidized but it should respond well to some standard TLC. I've had a big Healey (100-6) and two bug-eyed Sprites (still have the 1960 BE) and have gotten very spoiled with availability of parts and manuals. I'm looking for help in finding information and parts sources fort this beautiful survivor as I take it to the roads of Georgia from its current storage mode. Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated. I'm especially interested in MC replacement, rebuild or substitution options for the brake issues - especially sourcing on this side of the pond.

Thanks in advance, :eek:
Bill D.
View attachment 33000View attachment 33001View attachment 33002View attachment 33003
My 1979 Panther Lima Turbo in Lethbridge, Alberta Canada -The winter project is to replace the front and rear oil seals ant to repair the rad.

Attachments

• IMG_1794.JPG
    IMG_1794.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 69
  • IMG_4786.JPG
    IMG_4786.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 76
  • W3o+A6%1SFa4jlcp%b+JeQ.jpg
    W3o+A6%1SFa4jlcp%b+JeQ.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 67
  • IMG_E0649.JPG
    IMG_E0649.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 70

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
There was another poster here who had one.
He brought it to our British car show in Eureka,CA.
I've got his contact info here,somewhere.

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Look up member "krswen",or do a search using "Panther"