• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Healey 3000 MKII BT7 restomod Build Thread

I started restoring my late fathers MKII BT7 that he purchased in the 70's from a friend. He never had this car running as shortly after he purchased it my mother gave birth to twins (me and my brother) so he parked the healey in the yard and it sat there until this past april.

I have a decent amount of body, welding and basic car mechanic experience, I've assisted in a couple of show car restorations but mostly body work. I'm fortunate enough to have a body shop at my best friends house, to own a powder coating setup and have friends that are top painters, metal platers and engine/performance guys.

However, i've never worked on a british car and haven't had too much experience with the more in depth mechanical stuff, i.e. suspension, steering, engine, trans, brakes etc... I am going to post my progress and would love your advice and factual opinions.

I understand that the majority of british car owners are enthusiasts and respect that, but I did not grow up riding/driving this car or even working on it, I love the styling and class that the 3000 emits but am looking to add my personal flare, and to improve upon the 1961 technology without completely changing what makes the big Healeys special. I say this because I am in need and will be in need of advice and technical assistance, as well as opinions from people who have restored healeys. I am not looking to be lectured or told that I am ruining the car because I am branching away from stock form.

Im located in Northern NJ if anyone is local and cares to come check out the restoration or assist.

OP
A
Here are some pictures from 18mos ago when I striped the tarps off after over 30 years of being covered. I mistakenly tweaked the hood a bit opening it as the hinges were rusty (newbie mistake... now I get to do extra bodywork yay!)

ahengine start.jpgahstart1.jpgahstart2.jpg

OP
A
Here are some pix of the tear down process and the Engine pull... I was shocked to find so many panels help on with rivets, screws and difficult to reach bolts.
The super structure is in great shape... floors and frame rails not so much.

AHstrip1.jpgahafterengine.jpgahenginehoist.jpg

Country flag
... However, i've never worked on a british car and haven't had too much experience with the more in depth mechanical stuff, i.e. suspension, steering, engine, trans, brakes etc... I am going to post my progress and would love your advice and factual opinions.

There is nothing on a typical British car of this era--possible exceptions are the fixed-choke (SU) carburettors and the Laycock de Normanville O/D--that would be intimidating to anyone familiar with American cars of the same era. To me, British machines are over-engineered in some ways, and under-engineered in others--the biggest issue may be arcane bolt sizes and threads, but the later cars used mostly SAE sizes.

There is a lot of mystique--and pure mythology--regarding SU carbs, but get any of several available books on the subject and you'll understand just how simple and elegant they are. And, with the exception of one design quirk (they don't work inverted; true with most carburettors), they were good enough to be used on the Spitfires that took on German Me109's in the Battle of Britain. The LdeN O/D is, IMO, a brilliant piece of engineering design as well, and most issues involve the electrical control circuits.

I think the consensus on this forum is "it's your car, do what you please with it."

OP
A
I got the chassis striped down and put it up on the rotisserie... my fears were confirmed as the frame rail bottoms are rusted out. After looking at it further and factoring in time, safety and value I've decided to not repair the frame but have the car sent up to Marty at Jules Enterprises to add his Jules Frame. The new frame will be stronger, better supported, improves the issues form the original and adds some nice features. Should have the car back in April.

AHrotiss.jpg

OP
A
I've decided to go with a "restomod" restoration. I want to keep the orignal Healey feel but add some more personal/unique touches and to improve the overall performance and reliability. I'm not an expert so please chime in on your thoughts, experiences and advice for the below alterations.

I've decided to:

delete the rear seats (they are too small for anyone and I do not like the looks)
Install a custom roll bar
Install more modern front seats for looks and comfort
build a custom transmission cover/center console
Custom side exhaust and fender vents (similar to the picture below)
Mikuni 3 or 6 carb setup (see 6 carb setup below)
Custom Dash
Aluminum Radiator
Waterless coolant
Aluminum Gas tank
Stainless break lines
New Steering wheel
Texas Kooler fan
Spin on oil filter adaptor
Heater delete
Oil Cooler??
alternator conversion??
Starter upgrade??
Pos earth converstion??
Led Lights??
Coil upgrade??
Ignition upgrade??

Mikunis on Nissan.IMG_6689_6805.jpgshort exhaust.jpg

Attachments

• Resampled_2013-01-06_13-04-54_45.jpg
    Resampled_2013-01-06_13-04-54_45.jpg
    187.5 KB · Views: 185
  • Resampled_2013-01-06_13-05-59_211.jpg
    Resampled_2013-01-06_13-05-59_211.jpg
    192.4 KB · Views: 163

57_BN4

I've decided to not repair the frame but have the car sent up to Marty at Jules Enterprises to add his Jules Frame.

Good choice.

BTW, your car is sometimes referred to a "side shift Tricarb" on account of it having the early gearbox with the gearshift on the side and three carbs.

Say, are you the same guy who was trying for a sub 20k complete restoration?

OP
A
Are you planning on staying with the Healey driveline? If not, you might look into Marty's chassis strengthening options.

Im getting the full marty strengthening but plan on keeping at least the original engine beefed up. Im still undecided on whether I should keep the original sideshift, or upgrade to a center shift.

OP
A
I am, I decided to go a different route and decided to start a new thread.

Good choice.

BTW, your car is sometimes referred to a "side shift Tricarb" on account of it having the early gearbox with the gearshift on the side and three carbs.

Say, are you the same guy who was trying for a sub 20k complete restoration?

OP
A
Here are some pics form my hundreds of hours of body work. All parts were media blasted/stripped, every single steel body part required new steel except the hood. All rust was cut out completely and new steal was welded in. A lot of time was spent with the hammer and dollies and very minimal filler was used. Parts were blocked with 80 grit, 120 grit, 220 grit, then a high build 2k primer was sprayed... they will be blocked with 400 and any low spots will be filled with USC icing glaze.

ahdogleg.jpgahdoglegweld.jpgahdoorweld.jpgahfrontfenderrust.jpgahfrontfenderrust2.jpgahshrouds.jpgahtrunkrepair.jpgahtrunkrust2.jpgbodyshop1.jpg

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
OP
A

rjc157

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Are you sending him all of your panels for fitment ,you may have a hard time getting a good fitment because these cars were hand built

drambuie

Jedi Warrior
I've looked at that... i kind of like the idea of keeping the original drivetrain. Im just building a weekend cruiser and like the idea of saving some moneyw ith the original tranny... what are the issues with the side shift? slow shifting and noise? Is it reliable?
One of the issues that I hear often is first gear tends to go south on side shifters, In fact the first gear on my 59 BN4 was already shot and making a lot of noise when I first bought it. One of the big mistakes people make when they first own a Healey is to wind out first too much! I only use it for the first 10/20 feet then quickly shift into 2nd and never had a problem.

OP
A
And with a new budget obviously. This will be nice. I will be watching as I too want to build a custom with my BJ7.

The budget is a bit more, but I'm doing a ton myself and have friends to help discount what I cannot. The Jules frame wasnt in my initial budget but feel that it is the right way to go and I will end up with a car that has more value as opposed to one with frame repairs.

OP
A
For the colder months I have been working on cleaning up everything that I can, I have using my blast cabinet, bench grinder, acid bath and powder coating oven quite a bit. Every single bracket that can be, will be powder coated on the car.

Below are some pix (before, stripped, powdercoated
ahmountrust.jpgahmountstrip.jpgahmountpc.jpg

Last edited: