• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Oil in Stator Tube ??

TR Mike

Country flag
Hi. I replaced the wiring harness going through the stator tube to the control head. It has been a while since I took it apart, but I remember when I loosened the nut at the bottom of the tube, there was a small amount of liquid that ran out. I would estimate it to have only been a tablespoon or two. It was clear and seemed to be just water. Now that I am finally putting it back together I was wondering if maybe this was some kind of lubricant that I need to put back. If it is, what is it and how do I get it back in. Thanks in advance to whoever responds.

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
Mike-

Any fluid there is coming out of your steering box, not the stator tube - that nut and compression fitting is meant to keep the tube stationary but also seals the bottom of the steering box which should be filled with gear lube.

Randy

Don Elliott

Obi Wan
It's possible that some previous owner had trouble feeding the 4-wire harness down the stator tube and he may have liberally lubricated the outside of the harness sheath to make it easier to feed it all the way down. I wouldn't worry about that. Just make sure that the brass nut is sealing the olive gland securely at the bottom end of the steering box.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
I agreed it could well be the remains of some lube used to get the wires thru (dishwashing soap seems to be a common choice). I've had no problem getting those wires routed, but it helps if you stagger the bullet connectors or, better still, leave them off until the wires are thru the tube.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
More likely steering box lube, IMO, since the nut does not block off the passage through the tube at all. And the box will definitely drain when you loosen the nut. If it was only a tablespoon or two, then the box was low to begin with (or else is full of Penrite or something).

Should be a rubber plug on the steering column, which is both where you fill and where you check the level in the steering box. Since they frequently leak, it does need to be checked fairly often. If it doesn't leak, chances are that it's out!

smdichter

Country flag
To get the wire from the control head through the stator tube, I found that running a stiff pilot wire up the stator tube, attaching it to the tips with tightly pulled electrical tape and then twisting/spinning the control head (like over the boot) so that the wire coils tight throughout its whole length will permit the control head wire to easily travel down the stator tube. Takes two people, though. One to hold the twisted control head wire taught and to feed it down the stator tube whilst the other person gently pulls on the pilot wire from below. Taking the Lucas tips off first does make it even easier.
lucas tips