• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

New Tool - ratcheting wrench

jjbunn

Jedi Knight

Tinkerman

Darth Vader
Julian, Harbor Freight has 20 rachet wrench items ranging from $9.00 to $40.00. None specifically like the wrenchs on ebay. I have no experience with any of them, I use a set of crows foot wrenches when I am in a tight spot. I can put quite a bit of torque on a crows foot, I wish someone would make a box type crows foot set, they would be real usefull. Saw a battery operated open end wrench the other day. Just press the button and it will close to the nut size. As I recall, we used to call that type of wrench a "knuckle buster" and I have the scars to prove it!

Regards, Tinkerman

Twosheds

Darth Vader
Tinkerman said:
I can put quite a bit of torque on a crows foot, I wish someone would make a box type crows foot set, they would be real usefull.

Someone does make a box-type crows' foot. If I could only remember where I saw them, I would tell you...

70herald

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Julian
Personally, I would stay away from a set like that. They really look like a good way to strip the points off of an otherwise removable nut or bolt. I have never used one so I could quite well be wrong, but if it were so great, I am sure that all the major brands would have some competing version.

foxtrapper

Jedi Trainee
Friend has a set like those you linked to on e-bay, can't say I like working with them overly much.

I don't find any appreciable gain over using a standard open spanner. I can move a spanner fast, slipping it up and over the head to the next set of flats.

I also find the one-way action of these types of specialty open face semi-ratcheting wrenches annoying and limiting. I regularly use my wrenches in either direction, particularly in tight areas. You cannot do that with the semi-ratcheting types.

myspitfire

Jedi Warrior
Skil brand sells a unique power ratcheting socket wrench for $59.00 @ Walmart GREAT IDEA,Got one for Xmas.,also comes w/set of sockets & driver tips.As far as i found nobody else sells them.Lithium battery.

mrv8q

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Julian, I bought some open wrenches like that, w/o the ratcheting part, for about $9 each for a 6 pc. metric and SAE set, a while back at Big Lots. (And no, I don't normally buy my tools at Big Lots). They were cheap enough, but nicely polished, longer and thinner than my trusty Craftsman wrenches, and the box end was a touch slimmer as well, nicely made by Stanley.

I've seldom used them, but one or two times they've come in handy; the top 3 nuts on the intake manifold, for instance. I've used the box end more than the open end; if I didn't have them, I wouldn't miss them too much.

What I have found indispensable for TRs are stubby Gearwrenches, and a good quality 1/4 inch drive socket wrench w/ 3 and 6 inch extensions..

T

Tinster

Julian,

"a good quality 1/4 inch drive socket wrench w/ 3 and
6 inch extensions."

I concur 100%. I used two sets of 1/4" drive wrench/sockets
to tear out and rebuild my front and rear suspensions. I
purchased the stubby handle version with flex head.
They works great for getting into tight spaces.

My flex head socket wrenches have 1/4" drive on one face
and 3/8" drive on the opposite face.

Well worth the extra $$ to have two sets. (Actually
I have three sets. One in the spare auto shop I carry
in my car's trunk for breakdowns)

d

R

RonMacPherson

Dale, are you sure you used the 1/4 inch on the front suspension?

Maybe 3/8 or even 1/2 on the larger bolts? 1/4 is the tiny one.

I would be very surprised if you used the 1/4 to uninstall the old bolts, nuts, fasteners, especially if there was any rust.

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
I have some Gear Wrench ratcheting box wrenches. SK tool have been around for years. I still have the 1/4" deep well socket set and ratchet that I bought in 1968 from SK, when they were sold by Mac Tool drivers.

roger_abbott

Jedi Hopeful
If you like unusual racheting wrenches and other racheting tools, take a look at https://www.gearwrench.com/ (I have no connection with or interest in this firm, just own a set of their SAE and metric wrenches).

Try not to slobber on your keyboard.

OP
jjbunn

jjbunn

Jedi Knight
roger_abbott said:
If you like unusual racheting wrenches and other racheting tools, take a look at https://www.gearwrench.com/ (I have no connection with or interest in this firm, just own a set of their SAE and metric wrenches).

Try not to slobber on your keyboard.

Pass me the Kleenex!

Actually I recently bought one of their tools:
beautyshot.jpg

and I am *well* pleased with it.

D

DougF

I sell the wrenches you are asking about. I have used my sample on several occasions and have mixed feelings.
I would never use it every day. When ratcheting back, it is easy to fall off the fastener. In tight places, you need enough room to catch one of the two grab positions on the wrench head.
Where I did like it was working around the clutch master cylinder body bolts. It made easy work of the cylinder swap.
I guess I can sum things up best by saying I haven't pursued purchasing other sizes.

myspitfire

Jedi Warrior
It should work great with deep-set sockets,otherwise stand-alone its just enougher high priced gimmik tool.,of which its among hundreds on the market.,Chinese maybe?