• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

New c6 corvette

Bruce Bowker

Obi Wan
If we are listing favorite Corvettes

Bruce

sammyb

Luke Skywalker
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I was insulted when it insisted on shifting from first to fourth instead of second which is what I told it to do. And on a manual transmission yet....

[/ QUOTE ]

That buged me too. Luckily, it was a very easy mod to by-pass the 1-to-4th shift gate. Just had to unplug a cable on the tranny and plug in a $20 dummy load.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup, this was the first modification I did to both my '99 and my 2002. The mod took 20 minutes the first time and 5 the second -- and 4 out of the 5 was just lifting the car.

MGA Steve

Jedi Warrior
[ QUOTE ]
I don't want to offend MGA Steve, and he already knows I love the early Mustangs, but the new Mustang Cobra won't do anything for me. It's not that I'm a snob . . . Something about a car that is fundamentally shared with a V6 secretary's car. . . Even suping it up to the max, like in the SVT Cobra still doesn't change it's design for a small engine and commuting comfort.

Which, I suppose which is why I'd choose a AC/Shelby Cobra over a Shelby Mustang, or a '69 Corvette over a '69 Z28 Camaro.

[/ QUOTE ]
Sammy, you have never offended me--my favorite car in my high school days was the '62 Corvette (and I still don't like the C3 styling!). You did notice the "wink" after my Mustang comment, didn't you?

And as I have mentioned in several other posts, since I saw my first one up-close in college (new 289 at 6000 rpm, smoking tires in every gear, up to 60 in a block from a stop sign) my favorite sports car has always been the Shelby Cobra, not the Shelby Mustang!

Those quoted comments mean you're not a snob, huh? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

sammyb

Luke Skywalker
Oh, I probably am a snob...at least in theory. In practice, I can't afford to be a snob.

I'd love to drive a BWM 745LI as my family car, with a bunch of exotic and obscure old classics...

But it's hard to be a snob when you're usually seen in a 1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue carting around two little girls through the grocery store parking lot.

Did I mention that I do like the Mustang's color-changing gauge faces? It's a gimmick thing, but it's great for ADD guys like me that like change and to see something new all the time. I also happen to like the '68 type-face.

MGA Steve

Jedi Warrior
[ QUOTE ]
Oh, I'd love to drive a BWM 745LI as my family car, with a bunch of exotic and obscure old classics...

[/ QUOTE ]
I followed one home from work last night (in my pickup, which also makes it hard to be a snob). The rear tires on that BMW were wider than the Goodyear Wrangler ATS off-road tires on my Ford 4x4! Maybe if you and I sold all of our classic cars, we too could afford a Beemer like that. We just couldn't afford to replace the tires (or anything else) when they wore out! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Speaking of expensive family cars, should I be jealous of the dentist in our office building who parks his new silver Bentley R coupe in his reserved parking spot in our underground parking garage? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nonod.gif

G

Uh oh, i couldn't help but jump into this one, I saw someone mention the Mustang Cobra.

First the Vettes, they're in my family's blood, but strangly I've never owned one. My father was into them big time back in the day, he's had a 58, a 62, and a 63 (which was a gift to my mom when she told him she was pregnant with me, go figure). The rear end on the C5 always bugged me, that slab sided thing, but I do like the C5 better than the C6. Overall however I am glad that GM has built a car that can directly compete with some of the best from Europe, at least on the track, and the price makes them superior bang for your buck buys.

Now the Mustang, it has always bugged me that people compare the 03/04 Cobra to the Corvette, as I do not think Ford ever intended the car to be a Corvette killer directly. The cars are in different classes, although the straight line performance of the two is similar. I know a lot of guys that got PO'd when the 03/04 cobra came out, because here was a sub 35K pony car with 400 horse and an IRS that could take their sacred Corvettes to lunch, and give a Z06 a run for it's money. No offense Sammy, but most Vette owners I've met are snobby about their cars. I'm not saying you are though, I try not to use stereotypes or judge by what someone drives, but alot of guys would not even line up with you if they were in a Vette and you were in a Mustang, like you weren't worthy. Now things will change, the new Z06 is slated for what, next year, and with 500 horse. The new Cobra is to follow in late 06, or 07, and rumors are flying like crazy. Will it have the same blown 4.6 4V, a 5.4, or some are even saying a blown 5.4 pushing close to 500 horse. Personally i don't think that'll happen, as it will come to close to the GT in raw power numbers, and I don't think Ford wants to encroach on the GT in any way. Overall though the Mustang has always catered to a different crowd than the Vette, and vise versa, with that distinction being more evident now than ever. The stang, and especially the Cobra, have always appealed to guys that wanted that raw, visceral, unsophisticated power. It's an unpretentious everymans performance car, and the 05 GT makes that even clearer. Where else can you get a 300hp sport coupe, capable of low to mid 13's in the quarter, for 25 grand? Sorry, I didn't mean to hijack this thread and turn the discussion from the Vette to the Mustang, I'll shut up now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

JBsC5

Jedi Trainee
Just saying hello...my c6 z51 m6 has been a great car to own since new. Extremely reliable and trouble free 85 k miles..

this has been a nice ride although not as pretty as the c5 in exterior design...

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
Hi JB!

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Say what you will, but to me, this is the most beautiful Corvette ever made, 1960. PJ
View attachment 35970

JBsC5

Jedi Trainee
That was a beauty as well..

wishing you guys well. (Especially with our impending 2 feet of snow tonight)

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
I will say this about the 2015 model, I might let them park one in my garage if need be. I just don't like those Black wagon wheels and those crappy looking tires, that have about as much flex as a block of wood.:sour: :highly_amused:

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
I think I agree -- the new C6 Corvette has lost the design features that make a Corvette a Corvette. It looks too Camaro-ish from the rear, looks too Japanese-ish from the front. Then again, this car is probably aimed more at well-to-do Millennials who grew up on Fast & Furious movies than the now middle-aged Gen Xers like myself, who unfortunately came of age during the nadir of automotive performance and styling in the 1980s, not to mention aging Baby Boomers. But, we all knew what a Corvette was supposed to look like!

Back to Gen X and coming of age during some of the worst times for style and performance....I think that's why hobbyists my age are so "all over the map" when it comes to the cars we want to collect. I have a buddy who first went the sport-compact route with various Mazdas. He now has an '89 Fiero GT with a Buick 3800 supercharged motor stuffed into it. You have myself and some others who like the LBCs, and then you have your muscle car enthusiasts, too.

3798j

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
Gentlemen - *this* is a Chevrolet Corvette:
With quite an owner.
And...here's another C1 Corvette with quite an owner.

Saxman, Pretty certain your reference to Corvette similarities with Camaro styling cues actually refer to the C7 series rather than the C6.

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Guys, I'm sorry to disagree. I followed a new Vette down the highway today, passed it and got a good look at all sides. It was impressive - more like a Lambo or other supercar. I never liked the "package shelf" rear end of the last model - the front end was ok. I did not check out the interior but I plan to. I will agree that the best looking Corvettes were the 1956 through 1980s models but they were mechanically crude and unsophisticated. I drove a Sting Ray model back in the day and for some reason, I never wanted to own one. Perhaps the fact that (a) my friend's caught fire and burned, and (b) a client of mine had one attempted steal when parked at a dealership and one successful steal when they flat-bedded the car right out of his driveway one night while he slept. He collected the insurance and never replaced the car.

3798j

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
Always thought the sharpest looking series of Corvette was the '63-'67 C2. Understood it was a favorite of this owner too.

GordenCooper63corvette_zps5b04293b.jpg

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
Another NASA-jockey! (Cooper).

My neighbor across the street has a medium blue '66 roadster. Small block with 4 speed. He drives it once or twice a year. I have another neighbor several houses away who has a late C1. Same thing....rarely drives it.

And as far as I know, these guys never talk to each other either (of course, I've talked to both of them).
I can't imagine two MG owners living 3 houses apart not talking to each other.

We have Corvette racers that run with us that are just like all the Brit-car racers....chatty and fun to talk to.
But some of these Corvette street-car guys seem to only take their car out of the garage to polish it.

When I moved in, a neighbor with a Triumph 650 bike came over right away to chat when he saw my cars. And another neighbor with a P1800 (but former Brit-car owner) has become friends with us too. Another neighbor with a new 911 hasn't stopped in but he does wave as he passes by. And I've had several Brit-car guys who were just driving by have stopped in to ask about the cars. Just my opinion, but the Euro car guys seem more social (and interesting).

3798j

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
Never have raced, although I've always had a strong love of the sport and sports cars...so I'm in that "Corvette street-car" group. But as a longtime owner (29 and 25 years), I still drive and enjoy motoring in them often (just as much as I do the Triumphs). As for socializing, give me the motorhead that loves them all - as I do.

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
No less of an authority than Richard Hammond on a recent "Top Gear" episode declared that the C7 Corvette was "the finest sports car to ever come out of America". "It's the Corvette you don't have to apologize for". Even Jeremy Clarkson was suitably impressed with the C7, and getting Clarkson to say anything nice about anything American is remarkable.