• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

I kicked a Corvette's butt today.....kinda

TR6BILL

Luke Skywalker
Had a cardiologist's appointment this morning so I decided to take the TR6. Things were good, and motoring back home, some young hotshot in a late-model Vette was dogging me in heavy traffic out on the highway. My mufflers are pretty loud and guess he was wondering what I had under the hood. Well, I showed him! I gunned it through the first two gears and caught it just right. Laid rubber into second (my poor tranny) and hooked up good. He had to go wide open to catch me and pass. But I had him for about 100 ft. Got the high sign as he slowed down for the next light. He was impressed. What an old man does for a rise.....

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Good for you, Bill!

So ... when are you going to add a supercharger ?

:devilgrin:

Dale

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Way to go, Bill!! Don't ya just live for times like that?

myspitfire

Jedi Warrior
I remember i did the same 'butt'thing with my Sunbeam Tiger one time grinning all the way home to Ohio :driving:on the New York thruway.;-)
Can't beat a 289 V8 nomatter WHAT Corvette they had.traction masters,Pirelli's,& Koni shocks.In a Sunbeam Alpine body,And Caroll Shelby.
Ken&Whitelightning(4cyl yet on 10% alcohol)Spitfire :cheers:

trrdster2000

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Did it to a Porsche in the GT6 once, I stayed with him for about 50 yards and he looked at me and missed a gear, I smiled for a week.

Wayne

kodanja

Obi Wan
Country flag
two young girls in a vette pulled up to me last summer and asked what kinda car is that'

I said a Ferrari !!!

btw: my wife was not impressed!

SteveTR

Jedi Hopeful
LOL

I thought all the knuckleheads were in California...

That is good.

Cheers,

John_Mc

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Good thing it wasn't on the way TO the cardiologist, or he'd have said "Dr. Karam, your heart rate is 130 bpm, your BP is 200/120, and you're sweating profusely! Why are you smiling?"

OP
T

TR6BILL

Luke Skywalker
TR3driver said:
Good for you, Bill!

So ... when are you going to add a supercharger ?

:devilgrin:

A supercharger on my engine would blow it to smithereens. Might be an interesting "race"...a supercharged stocker vs my trips+. I kinda think I would take him.

GBRandy

Jedi Knight
Country flag
That is excellent. In fact a similar story is what hooked my on these cars.

Way back when my dad had a TR8 and I had it out for a run to the store. I ended up next to a same vintage (1980) Corvette at the light. The race was to the left hand turn onto the freeway entrance ramp.

I beat him off the light and made the 90 degree turn with a little cross steering. I straightened and started running through the gears. When checked the rear view mirror, my Corvette friend was stopped sideways on the entrance ramp :smile: I was gone and I suspect he was pretty mad.

That was when I was 18.....I am now MUCH older and I have owned LBC's since. But I don't drive like that anymore.....usually. :smile:

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
I know a few XK-120 owners that have a new found respect for my TR6.

Tomster

Jedi Knight
Always fun to blow someone off and then shut it down to regular street speed. Or blast past thru a corner. Just kinda childish but "Oh, want fun it is to ride an lbc in town ....

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
TR6BILL said:
Might be an interesting "race"...a supercharged stocker vs my trips+. I kinda think I would take him.
Possibly, but the stock engines are really ripe for a blower, with that already low compression ratio. And I don't know of any law that says the rest has to be stock ... some forged and dished pistons to pull the static CR down to maybe 6:1 plus about 15 psi of boost and there would be no comparison.

Then of course you'd have to upgrade the tranny, and the diff, and the axles ... but it would still be fun to try.

tinman58

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
I got in behind a very nice MGA yesterday near Discovery Bay, followed him for awhile then dropped a gear and honked the horn and waved as I flew past. OH WHAT FUN! even if it was only a MGA.
Dan

Safari

Country flag
tinman58 said:
I got in behind a very nice MGA yesterday near Discovery Bay, followed him for awhile then dropped a gear and honked the horn and waved as I flew past. OH WHAT FUN! even if it was only a MGA.
Dan

Hey, Hey! be nice to the MGA's I own one and love her as much as the TR6. I did own the MGA and a TR3 at the same time for a period, depending what my mood was determined which one was driven. I would take the TR3 back in a heartbeat.

billspohn

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Safari said:
Hey, Hey! be nice to the MGA's I own one and love her as much as the TR6. I did own the MGA and a TR3 at the same time for a period, depending what my mood was determined which one was driven. I would take the TR3 back in a heartbeat.

I've owned both several times. Liked them for different reasons. No TRs now, just 4 MGs

I've done the MG run away from TR thing as well - had a TR6 behind me on a long two lane hill. He obviously thought I was driving an MGB, so he pulled out to pass. I stayed in my lane and booted it and left him for dead. He's probably still scratching his head thinking he got done in by a lowly MGB (when it was really a tuned MGC).

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
Never too old to have a little find behind the wheel, best "stop light grand prix" I ever had was with my 2nd car, a 67 sprite with a 3/4 race cam and high compression pistons, smoked a new TR7, he was impressed, 2nd most fun my recently rebuilt TR4A vs. my brothers TR7 convertible, got a car length on him with the big fours torque, he couldn't make it up.

Most fun in a losing effort, the same 67 Sprite, unfortunately now with a stock motor, and a Porsche 911--not a chance right, well it was snowing and I had new tires, so figured never a better chance--darn Dr. Porsche and his traction aiding rear engine design, it was close, but couldn't take him, great fun though.

kodanja

Obi Wan
Country flag
MAYBE IT WAS PARKED'