• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

My new winter beater - Mercedes 190E

Scott_Hower

Luke Skywalker
Bought it locally; found on craigslist. Came with new brakes and tires and a pair of mounted Blizzaks for snowtires. $1900 and change.

High miles and it needs a thorough cleaning. The owner had meticulous maintenance records for the last 10 years or so. Oil changes, transmission filters, diff fluid changes, brake fluid changes. A/C converted to R134a and blows cold. A couple of door dings, but absolutely no rust anywhere. It spent much of its life in Charlotte, NC.

When I got it, the tach and the power windows were in-op. A new fuse fixed that. Drove it a couple hundred miles and something broke in the throttle. I'm hoping it's either a cable or a linkage clip. I think Doc has some experiencing wrenching on these, so I'll PM him.

It's built like a tank and the doors still close with a solid thud. Parts are still available and about on par with an MGB for common stuff (rotors, pads, wheel bearings, shocks, etc).

All in all, I'm really happy with it.

Attachments

• 22040.jpg
    22040.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 412
V

vagt6

What a sweet little Mercedes model.

I always lusted after the 190E 2.3 16V model, would love to find a nice one today.

But, only if I can make really good friends with a skilled M-B mechanic . . . :lol:

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
nice - they weren't the most popular MB's (baby benz) but I've always kind of liked them. And....

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
The only Benz models I've been "intimate" with were all older ones. Not much help I'm afraid. Mebbe Ron MacPherson can chime in and give better insight?

I sought out the 123 chassis w/diesel on purpose, the things are unkillable.

...unlike the P.O.S. K-car it replaced. :laugh:

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
DrEntropy said:
The only Benz models I've been "intimate" with were all older ones. Not much help I'm afraid. Mebbe Ron McPherson can chime in and give better insight?

I sought out the 123 chassis w/diesel on purpose, the things are unkillable.

...unlike the P.O.S. K-car it replaced. :laugh:

Yeah, those Reliant and Aries cars were awful. What was Iacocca thinking?

jessebogan

Jedi Knight
The 201s are OK. I have a customer with 3 Jags, and a Discovery, and the 190E is the car that always works. So he is selling it of course....Some things on the car are simple, but the climate control and the fuel delivery systems can make you pull out hair.

I would like to find a 123 wagon that didn't have half a million miles on it. Might even retire the Audi for a good one.

R

RonMacPherson

They're not bad little cars. As in all Benzes, the fluids need periodic changing(sounds like that's been done) then the rubber goes next(suspension, mounts, etc...) good idea to keep a bottle of silicone spray and spray all accessible seals every couple of months(door seals, etc.) the accelerator is usually the plastic end linkage ball clip..

But metal is usually good forever... Not a bad deal from your description.

OP
Scott_Hower

Scott_Hower

Luke Skywalker
Thanks Ron. Ball clip popped out of the throttle linkage. I McGuyvered it back in place with a couple of zipties. Ordered a new cable and a pair of spare clips.

This thing must have 10,000 vacuum hoses; they seem to control everything. A couple of the elbows look suspect, so I ordered a few of them as well.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Get a map of the vacuum circuitry, too. I'm with Jesse on the hair pullin' induced by climate control & fuel system issues.

Horsemits concluded Diesela was goin' thru "the change" as the thing would blow cold A/C air for a while, then spontaneously switch to full heat. Hot flashes. Spent HOURS hunting the various vacuum leaks and wiring issues (grounds! Always th' grounds.). :wall:

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Diesela is almost half way there. Tappin' 400K. I dread the day we find she needs an engine overhaul. :shocked:

RobT

Jedi Warrior
Great choice - always fancied a Merc W123 wagon myself. Recently went "German" with a BMW E24 M6 instead. They do build some nice solid cars.

doc, i was never interested in benzeses, specialy diesel modah ones, im finishing up a front disk brake job on an very clean 84 300 sd and im impressed, its not much off the line but once its rollin will do 80 mph all week long and not bust a sweat, comfortable, lays flat in turns very little body lean, quiet, doesnt spew smoke or smell, and great fuel economy, who knew?

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
ummm... Ant'ny... ~I DID~! :laugh:

If I had to put Herself into a "regular" car, that was the only real choice. I just found this sedan before a wagon came along.

I did new brakes and rotors on all four corners before she started driving it, put a set of Michelin bladders on, checked all th' fluids, etc.

They're still used as taxi cabs in Europe, they're great on extended trips.

OH! And Diesela did LAPS at Sebring a couple years ago, too! :laugh:

jessebogan

Jedi Knight
I am with you all the way on this. I love Benz Diesels. "Clatter clatter" lull you to sleep buzzin down the highway. reminds me of really fast knitting needles. I had a wabbit D for several years, an 84 westmorland built car. That thing shook so bad at idle when I bought it, the dash turned into a blur. Replaced all the mounts, and that thing ran for over 100K before I sold it on. It was a 3+E version, so like 1st, 2nd, 3rd, then 5th. I had moved to the shenandoah valley by then, and that poor little car was geared all wrong. Must have been the flatlands edition.