• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

My car featured on the British V8 site

TRED

Jedi Hopeful
Like the title says, they did a nice write up and even added a picture of my engine to the scrolling pictures on the home page.
Remember no rare or hard to find parts were harmed in the construction of my car.
I have owned it since 1973, totaled it out in 1987. Then rebuilt the car from a crashed and rusted pile of parts.

https://www.britishv8.org/Triumph/EdOlson.htm

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
Wow - that is one mean looking TR6. Having the turbo exposed like that is a neat idea, I haven't seen that before.

toysrrus

Yoda
Hi There Tred,

Man, That is one heck of a "Pocket Rocket" you have there! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbsup.gif

What sort of HP does it put out? What will it do in a 1/4mi?

Looks like fun to me,

Russ /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/banana.gif

PeterK

Yoda
I have a video of your car doing a burnout at the VTR? Looks like real man-fun!

G

You have the most insane TR6 I know of. By far. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbsup.gif

OP
T

TRED

Jedi Hopeful
tdskip, The turbo thru the hood helped in many ways, nice cool air, there wasn't really anywhere else to put it and the supercharger crowd has been doing it for years so why not.
Toysrrus, With the old 455 the car ran a 9.47 in the 1/4 mile with the new 487 and at least 689HP to the wheels I hope to get into the 8's
PeterK, I haven't made it to a VTR yet but if you have a copy of a video of my car doing a burnout I would love to see it. The MN Triumph group talked me into doing a burnout at the summer picnic and I never got a copy of that.
Thanks alana its been a bunch of work hopefully I can spend a bunch of time driving it this year.

2wrench

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Ed, that car is a work of art. Good job and I'll
bet you and your son worked many, many hours
putting it together.

Huh? What Officer??? I was slowing down as fast
as I could.

danmas

Jedi Trainee
1. WHY????

Why Not?

2. What percentage of this "vehicle" is actually a "Triumph" ?

Does it matter?

angelfj1

Yoda
Country flag
Well, this is a "Triumph" forum, isn't it? I am trying to keep an open mind, but I just don't understand the point. How do these extreme examples of pimped motor cars on anabolic steroids advances the understanding and preservation of the Triumph marque. It would be different if the "experiment" utilized mostly TR components or even British period mechanical engineering to optimize power or other performance parameters. I wonder what comments I might evoke if I submitted an article and photos of my 99 percent original TR-250 to Super-Muscle-Pimped-Vehicle Monthly. I imagine fans of that ilk might be left scratching their heads. What? Only 105 BHP???
I hope you understand my point of view.

G

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]British period mechanical engineering[/QUOTE]

So I guess galvanised panels or powdercoated parts are right out then, and synthetic oil is only appropriate for TR6s made after 1972...

angelfj1

Yoda
Country flag
Galvanized panels in my opinion should not be used in a proper restoration, nor are they required. Modern steel is superior to the British steel used in the 50's and 60's and can be easily worked by a competent body man, using traditional techniques. Galvanized steel is another matter. It requires special prep for predictable painting results and it can be very dangerous if heated to a high temp, e.g. welding. I have no problem with modern lubricants, and I use nothing else but Mobil One in my modern vehicles. However, for both the TR's, I still use good old dinosaur blood. QED

danmas

Jedi Trainee
FJA,

If I understand your comment (Well, this is a "Triumph" forum, isn't it?) correctly, your prime concern is that the pics were posted on this board, and not that you're oppossed to the modifications? In that case, your comment "What percentage of this 'vehicle' is actually a 'Triumph'?" is appropriate. To answer that, I would suggest that there is "enough" Triumph left to make it of interest to many of us Triumph enthusiasts on this board.

Not every one of us will like it, many of us will hate it, but some of us find it to be of much interest, and, therefore, it has a place on this board.

John_Mc

Jedi Knight
Country flag
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]Remember no rare or hard to find parts were harmed in the construction of my car.
I have owned it since 1973, totaled it out in 1987. Then rebuilt the car from a crashed and rusted pile of parts.[/QUOTE]
I like my TR6 for its character. But I like owning the car as a hobby because I like tinkering. I think what TRED did here is awesome, and no harm done to any restorable TR. I'd rather see someone do something like this and breathe life (and a heck of a LOT of life, at that!) to an otherwise dead car than tie up a harder to find TR6 engine in a hopeless case. I see nothing here to condemn and a whole lot to commend! That's my opinion anywhoo.

What I think your next project should be, Ed, is to put an engine like that into a Prius body! That's a dark fantasy of mine right now!

angelfj1

Yoda
Country flag
Sure, I understand that perspective. There is no doubt that quite a bit of knowledge and skill went into the project. Perhaps the "New Triumph" that may be introduced by BMW can incorporate some of these features.

OP
T

TRED

Jedi Hopeful
angelfj said:
Just two questions:

1. WHY????

2. What percentage of this "vehicle" is actually a "Triumph" ?

Why, many reasons, one reason would be because I always though a AC Cobra would be a cool car, a little british car with a big american V8, but what do they sell for?
I could afford to put together my old TR6.
My old 6 cylinder is pulling around someone's TR6 and my overdrive trans is in another.
My son learned a ton, he even watched as I figured out right triangles so that I could install the lower control arms with extra caster.
How much is still Triumph? The stock front suspension was grafted onto my home built chassis.
The front fenders that weren't good enough for a club member's TR6 were used. Two front fenders with the bottoms rusted off were cut up to make the 8" long extensions in the doors.
I did gut my orignal doors and cut them up but they weren't all that nice.
I welded in all the pin holes in the swap meet front valance.
The dash section is Triumph as is the gas and brake box.
Most of the sheet metal behind the doors is also Triumph.
Why did I post the link on the Triumph section? Mostly because I am proud of my creation. I drove this car many miles as a stock TR6, and I love these cars. Its still a Triumph to me.
I am glad other's preserve these cars and I wouldn't have cut up a nice car.
Oh and the biggest reason, want to go for a ride?

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
TRED, You took a vehicle that was ready to go to the boneyard and turned it into something that looks like a TR6. It's identifiable as such, and therefore is worth showing and discussing here. And, besides that, it's YOUR CAR, and you can do whatever you want to it.

During this TR3 resto that I'm doing, I'm changing quite a few items that some of the purists out there will get their panties in a knot over. Imagine, Japanese parts in and LBC! Yes, Toyota is suppling the transmission and brake calipers. Rack and pinion steering. A Dan Masters wiring harness. For cryin' out loud, I just ruined the character of the car! Well, it's my car, and I'll do what I want. How many of you guys out there upgrade items on your cars to make them more reliable or fun to drive?? Everytime you put in a new and improved item, you have gotten away from stock.

Well, you'll say that Pertronix ignition doesn't count. Well it does. Go ahead and put in the Ratco throttle linkage and Miata seats. And so it goes. It's just that some of us take the idea just a little further then others.

It's not like these are rare cars. There's still plenty of them out there for those who want to keep the mark alive in it's original form. And, if that's is what you want to do, then that's fine also. After all, it's YOUR CAR.

kodanja

Obi Wan
Country flag
Art I agree 100%

Mine still looks like a Tr6!
Still Drives like a Tr6!
Just doesnt breakdown as much!

By looking at it you'd never know its got a "Ford" transmission in it & MANY other aftermarket parts...

Its much more a hobby than a original piece of art!
These cars were designed to drive!

There are certain ones that are concours & thats awesome but dont scratch it!

"Get out there and DRIVE people!"