• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Moss Wire Wheel Inner Tubes

af3683

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I was interested if anyone has any experience with the Moss inner tubes (size 155/165X15). I don't know who manufacturers them for Moss or how they would compare with the ones sold by a local tire shop. I do remember reading somewhere that the Michelin inner tubes were recommended. I'm not sure if it really makes a difference. Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks.

Art

BRSLimited

Jedi Trainee
There are only a couple of companys that make tubes anymore. I use Carlisle tubes from my local tire shop and never had any complaints with them.

OP
af3683

af3683

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Does anyone know if the valve stems on the newer tubes are tappered like the originals so they fit securely in the hole or are the newer ones thinner? Also, do you want rubber valve stems or brass? Thanks.

Art

JohnB

Jedi Hopeful
Bronze
Country flag
When I had new tires mounted on my set of original factory wires, the stems on the new tubes required a plastic bushing to fill up the larger holes in the rims. The old tubes had much larger stems than the new ones do and bushings were strongly recommended by the tire shop. Didn't charge for them. Nice guys, especially considering I supplied the Kumhos to them.

MGTF1250Dave

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
Aloha Art,

The tube for a TR3 standard tire/wheel would be a size FR15. There two typical valve stems in passenger car tubes, a size TR13 and TR15. The TR15 is larger in diameter (about 5/8 inch) and fits the larger holes in older wheels like those used on TR3s. The small TR13 is about 15/32 inch in diameter and is the common size for most modern wheels that use tubeless tires. If you can not find tubes with a TR15 stem, you should use a valve stem grommet. This slips over the valve stem before installed on the wheel and provides a snug fit for valve stem in the large hole in the wheel. I have been able to find the grommets at four wheel drive/off road shops. They aren't very expensive (the last time I needed some they gave me four) but keep the tube from blowing out around the larger hole.

Attachments

• 23659.jpg
    23659.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 281
OP
af3683

af3683

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Thank you very much for educating me on inner tubes.

Dave, So basically I'm looking for an FR15 tube with a TR15 valve stem. Unfortunately, all of the FR15 tubes that I've found on the web have the TR13 valve stem and would therefore require the grommet. Do you happen to know of anyone that sells the FR15 tube with a TR15 valve stem?

Thanks,
Art

MGTF1250Dave

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
Aloha Art,

The last time I bought tubes, I ordered from this company:

International Tire & Tube
1218 Brittmoore Rd
Houston, TX 77043

They had what I needed and I ordered probably six, they shipped them quickly in one box. As I recall, price was good and shipping inexpensive.

Coker Tire also has tubes, but think they only have a TR13 stem available so you would need grommets.

6TTR3A

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
The grommets can be sourced from most of the suppliers listed above, but the new wires that I bought from Moss earlier this year had the smaller stem holes.