• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Moss Wheels / Panasport?

JJS

Country flag
I might as well add to the wheel / tire discussion. I'd like to pick up some minilite or panasport wheels for BN7. Moss carries the panasport, (15 X 5.5") but doesn't mention if the offset is correct for the Healey.

And, I'm not sure about tires and balancing. I'm located in central California, within an hour or two of LA. Is there a shop in the So Cal area that can install and balance spline drive minilite wheels?

Cheers

Joe

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
Hi Joe,
There is a place called Valley Wire Wheel I've heard good things about from a couple people I trust. Can't say I've been there myself. It's in Van Nuys I believe.

OP
J

JJS

Country flag
Thanks Greg, I'll check these guys out.

I'll review the forum for tires recommended for similar sized wire wheels. I'm concerned that the wheel/tire combination will not fit with the Panasports.

Joe

stevebn2bj7

Jedi Warrior
I have those Moss wheels on my car with a 185 70 15 and they fit just fine. I have had them on both my BJ7 and BN2 with no clearqance problems.

bill_young

Jedi Warrior
Are you aware of the new design in a knock off alloy from Performance Superlite? Acme Speed Shop is the US distributor. The new wheels have a much cleaner center area as the bolt in hub is attached on the rear face so the front is very clean. They have a wheel listed for the MGA or MGC and those should fit the Healey fine. https://www.acmespeedshop.com/wheels.html

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
Hey Joe,
I found their info in an old email. Oddly, I wasn't even looking for it. :laugh:

Valley Wire Wheel Service
Mike Rizeman
14731 Lull St.
Van Nuys, CA
818 785 7237

dougie

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Hey Bill -

Do you mean like these I run on my '57 100-6 MM racer?

Dougie

OP
J

JJS

Country flag
Greg, Thanks for the info. I'll give hese folks a call.

Bill / Dougie - I contacted Pack Racking in Prescott Valey, AZ. They have Superlites in 15 x 6. What size tires are you running, and do you have any problems with tire rubbing.

Thanks!

Joe

bill_young

Jedi Warrior
Those are the ones Dougie, beautiful car. I wonder about the Superlite wheels that Pack Racing has. There are two companies making wheels called Superlite, one in England and one in Australia. The Australian company is the one making the new type centers and as far as I knew up till now their only importer in the US was Acme Speed Shop. Where did you get yours Dougie?

dougie

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Joe/Bill-

I worked with Terry at Pack Racing who was very helpful in fitting the Superlite Spline Drive Wheel. He had just received them for Australia at the time and hadn't sold too many. He shipped me 1 wheel to test prior to purchasing all 4. I have the 15" x 6" wheel with the standard back spacing. I think they look really clean with the Hoosier Vintage TD 5.50x15 race tires I run.

My suspension is lowered 1.5" and the rear is softened a little with the removal of the small leaf, so I do get a small amount of interior rub during hard cornering, nothing major. No problem with the rear disc brakes as well. I do re-torque the spline bolts after each race event, one wheel did loosed up.

Dougie

vette

Darth Vader
Country flag
Hi folks, eventually when I finish my Healey I'll be looking for wheels too. Does anyone know if I can find 16" wheels that would fit the Healey 5-lug pattern.
Thanks, Dave C.

OP
J

JJS

Country flag
Hi All,

Thanks for the help. I am looking seriously at the 15x6 Superlite wheel with a 185/70 15 tire. Based a tire calculator I used, the tire will be 25.2" in diameter. The tire will fit a 6" width wheel. Am I missing anything?

Joe

OP
J

JJS

Country flag
Quick follow up questions, the 185/70 15 tire is apparently quite rare. Would upsizing to a 195/65 15 tire work without rubbing. Or am I headed in the wrong direct and need to re-think this?

Cheers Joe

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
Hi Dave,
I haven't looked, but you could always have 'em made. I had Dayton make a set of 16" wires for me. More than the stock cost, but possible.

dougie

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
JJS said:
Quick follow up questions, the 185/70 15 tire is apparently quite rare. Would upsizing to a 195/65 15 tire work without rubbing. Or am I headed in the wrong direct and need to re-think this?

Cheers Joe

Joe -

I run 205/65 15 Dunlop Radials on my BJ8 street car. I only have a little rub
on the rear while hard cornering. I know a lot of purest do not like the look, but the performance is well worth it. I do enjoy the aggressive stance.

Dougie

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
John Turney said:
185/65-15s seem to be common. Doesn't sound too different than the 185/70-15. Has anyone tried these?
Hmmmmm, I haven't. They average about 24½" in diameter. ¾" lower than original. Might start hitting things you didn't hit before.

healeynut

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Dougie -

I warn you, I ran 205/65s on my BJ8 in college back in the late 80's and all I got for my trouble was a ripped out shock mount after about 30K miles and a string of worn out shocks. It couldn't handle the heavy duty cornering... Just something to watch out for.

zblu

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I'm using Pirelli P6 Front 195/65R15 92H Back 205/65R15 92H on 6" Dayton 60 spokes, they were very close in O/D to original crossplys, I'm happy, although with the early narrow drums (had to specify my requirements so as to get the correct offset) I dont suffer the scrape problems as much