• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Missing zerks

M

Member 10617

I've reached the 6000 mile maintenance mark on my 59 TR3 and have been doing all the required lubrications. When I got to the clutch shaft bearing, however, I did not find the grease nipples (zerks) pictured in PH or in all the other drawings. Where the two zerks should be I found only a solid caps, with no indication that there had ever been grease fittings there. Can anyone explain this to me?

mallard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
You may have a TR6 shaft in the car, I believe they will work in both transmissions. The TR6 does not have the fittings.

OP
M

Member 10617

Keith,

Thanks. It's possible. When I bourght the car, I had the engine and transmission rebuilt, and OD added. there were many changes, and adding a TR6 shaft may have been one of them.

Two less zerks to grease!

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
ISTR you mentioned having synchromesh in first gear, so that would indicate a later gearbox without the zerks.

I'll add that it is my preference to add the zerks (I also have a TR6 gearbox in my TR3); but probably not worth pulling things apart to do so. Left dry, those joints seem to wear pretty badly. On the Stag, there wasn't room to put the zerks on the shaft, so I put them on the gearbox housing instead.

ClutchshaftgreasenippleonStag.jpg

OP
M

Member 10617

Randall,

I don't have synchromesh in first gear. Only 2, 3, and 4 are synchromeshed in my car. I don't have a photo of the clutch shaft area, but it doesn't look at all like the one in your photo. It looks exactly like the one in the drawings, except for no zerks.

A mystery... for me.

UPDATE: Here is a photo taken quickly...

TR2.13.01.jpg

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Sorry, Ed, my mistake on the 4-synchro. But I still agree with Keith, that is the later shaft which does not come with grease zerks.

The reason my Stag looks different is because the clutch slave is on the other side, the shaft gets installed backwards. But the parts manual shows the lever on the left, which has caused several mechanics a lot of grief. Removing the gearbox is an adventure in pain on the Stag (I literally wind up bleeding every time) and there is no other way to turn the shaft around.

OP
M

Member 10617

Randall,

My thanks to you and Keith for explaining what I have. I'm going to leave it as it is, i.e., without zerks. At the very least, should I occasionally lubricate (oil/grease) the joint on the the lever? .... although the oil that drips around down there seems to be doing that "automatically." I don't know if there is any rubber involved in the joint that might be damaged by my oiling itl...

mallard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
On my TR6 transmission there was enough sidewall thickness to install two bronze bushings on each side instead of one. I figured two bushings are better than one. Never had any binding problems, and the parts don't wear as fast.

OP
M

Member 10617

Keith,

I'm not clear on where you installed the bronze bushings to prevent possible binding.

I haven't yet experienced any binding problems with the lever/shaft component, if that is what you mean. On my car, one end of the shaft is attached to the lever.... and the other is attached to the sidewall. There doesn't seem to be any way to lubricate this shaft from the exterior, and I assume it was designed that way.

sail

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
TRS-024.jpg

The bushings are number 52 in this TR6 illustration. 6's are wider than the 3&4's.
I drip a little oil on the shaft with hope it works in.

OP
M

Member 10617

Richard,

Thanks. I think I'll drip a little on on the shaft, where it connects with the lever, and hope for the best.