• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MGB MGB Roadster or MG Midget

Gel

Haven't yet had the chance to drive either a Midget or MGB Roadster.
Quite a few people have said forget the Midget and go with the MGB.
I drive a few times each week but only short journeys, but I do want to use the car in the winter.
Which would you recommend if any?

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
that's a tough call IMO... I personally like the styling of the Bs more, and really like the way the B GT looks. I've never driven a Midget, but I'm sure it'd be just as fun as a B to drive...

I guess the only way to truly tell which is best for you is to hop in each and try them on for size. If you're looking for one to restore, then it's possible you may end up with the one that needs the least amount of work to bring back to life...

Midgey

I have one of each. 78 MGB and 74 Midget. The Midget is lots more fun to drive: truly a fun fun car to whip around in. The MGB is more comfortable and better in the winter. More presentable when I go to work (my Midget still has the orihginal paint job). The B is probably a little safer too, as it is a bit bigger. I am driving the B to work on almost a daily basis, and driving the Midget on the weekend for jaunts. But, can't go wrong either way!

Cheers!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Not getting personal or anything - but what sized person are you?

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Well, I'm a 59+ year old, 6', 200 lbs (38" waist) guy & I can't get in or out of my Midget unless the top is down...

think of a B as a caddy to the midgets true sports car.

mark

Grantura_MKI

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
Oh, Please! This is a case of apples and oranges. No one in there right mind would take a Midget over a MGB. Even a rubber bumpered B is better. In today's world, no one wants to operate a Dinky toy!

And unless you feel like tearing an engine down it's bits, stay away from all 1500 Midgets (the rubber bumpered ones), they have a nasty habit of eating thrust washers with the crankshaft.

jaybird

Yoda
Country flag
That's a bit harsh Grantura.

It's more like comparing 2 different kinds of apples. The B is bigger, significantly more leg & head room. Engine is bigger which gives you more power/speed (okay, I know, we're talking MGs here!). We have 2 MGBs. We nearly bought a Midget first, but at 6', 220 pounds, was a squeeze for dahubby to get in and out of. Our B is comfortable for long trips as well as short jaunts.

On the other hand, I've driven Midgets and my son owns one as well. They are an absolute blast to drive. I love the handling, the responsiveness. Something there you just don't get with a B.

Either car will be eaten by the rust maggots equally, particularly if you're driving in the winter.

If you have no preference, buy what you can get the best deal on for the money you want to spend.

Joe Reed

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Decent Midgets are a lot harder to find than decent Bs. I loved mine...and have always regreted selling it. The B is certainly more comfortable - especially in Summer, since the Midget didn't have that handy fresh air door! Compared to the Midget, the proper factory designation of the B as a "Tourer" is pretty accurate. The Midget is much closer to a go-kart. A really fun go-kart. I've attached a pic of the one I had which, of course, I drove all winter too....

Attachments

• 160401-71MGfront.jpg
    160401-71MGfront.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 104

jaybird

Yoda
Country flag
Dang, Joe!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I like to drive 2 of my 3 Midgets (I just don't like my '76) but I prefer my B's...oh, wait, my '53 TD is actually a Midget! So, I like 3 of my 4 Midgets!

Steve_S

Yoda
An MGB is a very small car. A Midget makes an MGB look like a school bus. If you want go-kart handling, buy the Midget. If you want a faster, more comfortable and better built sports car, buy the B.

Everyone is different though, so I recommend driving one of each or at the very least, trying to squeeze into a Midget to see if you like the size or not. Either way you will be having a lot of fun in no time!

PS... You have a beautiful country. I spent 10 days driving through it last year. Only rained for 20 minutes the whole time. We were lucky!

Bruce74B

Jedi Knight
[ QUOTE ]
In reply to the last post, I'm 5'8'', and reasonably slim for a 43 year old!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm...trying to be polite here...but let me be blunt...no offense, but at 43, you may wish to consider the ease of entry of a B over a midget, especially if you plan on keepig it for a while. I am a little old than you, and have found getting in an out of the B even a little more difficult every spring. More of a consideration during the winter when the top will be up.

I have driven TD's, TC's, Midgets and B's...the only one I would drive regularly is a B now.

Bruce /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

rulle7

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I've never had any problems getting in and out of my Midget...neither have my friends of all sizes.
Have a 3 year-old who sits on the shelf between/behind the seats in her own home-made child seat....it's our only car and thus a daily driver.
Great fun to drive and a great hauler of lumber since sky's the limit, it gets used for everything and does a fine job doing it. B-igger is not always better ! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif
PS.I'm 39 with bad knees...

Tom Rynne

I have had both B's and currently a 65 Midget and a V6 B project. If I were to only be allowed one of these it would be a B as it can cruise all day comfortably with or without OD. The Midget with a 4.22 rear end is a real buzz bomb at 65 mph.(The later 3.9 diddy might cure some of this) I have not driven a Midget with a 5 speed but this might be the ultimate answer here since the smile factor of a Midget is about 1.5 times the B on any kind of backcountry roads.

rodesmg

i'm 5'9 165lbs and owned a 1500 midget for 15 yr. i sure wouldn't want to drive it with a winter coat on. they are pretty snug