• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MG Accident

MgKid1974

I crashed my MG on wed on a mountain road by Escondido. Going around a blind corner, I hit some water that had overflowed on the road from a stream and I lost my rearend. I tried to correct it by steering to the left but it was no help. I slid across the road into the other lane side swiping a guy in an 88 Integra totalling his car.
I posted some pictures of the damage to my car: MG Crash Im guessing its going to cost me at least 800 dollars to get a new body panel, paint, decal, and headlight. It would be great if any of you guys could post how much you think it would cost. Oh well, looks like I am bumming rides from my girlfriend to school for about a month. God help me, shes blonde.

Steve_S

Yoda
I'm so sorry to hear of your accident. It looks like the damage may be contained in the fender and bumper. If so, the estimate sounds fair to me. When replacing the fender, I highly recommend a Heritage fender or a used original rather than the cheap Taiwanese units. I know from personal experience that they do not fit well at all. Good luck with the repairs!

EMGEBE

Jedi Hopeful
darn sorry to hear dude!

Its amazing u totalled an integra and thats all the damage done to the B! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif never realised how tuff MGs were.

Good luck with the panel work,
nothing mechanically damaged?

Jarrod.

rulle7

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Ouch! Hope the repairs go well and within budget.
Good thing nobody got hurt.
On the upside, you get a fresh bumper and fender plus more quality time with your girlfriend. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Kim de B

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Looks like you managed to avoid damaging the hood ... Can that be true? I so, you really saved yourself some bucks. Of course, you may have to reset the hinges or something, but looks to me like you got off pretty easy.

jaybird

Yoda
Country flag
Ugh. Those pictures make me sick. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

My damage wasn't nearly that extensive when I was hit Sunday and my lowest estimate was nearly $1000. John, a friend in our car club is doing the work however, so I'm getting it done for much less than that.

If you're figuring $800, you must be planning on doing the work yourself? I don't think a reputable body shop will touch it for that. But I could be wrong.

Take the car to a couple shops for estimates. You'll be able to get a free estimate from anyone, that should give you an idea.

If your insurance is going to pay on the other car (obviously, since it's totalled) you'll probably see a raise (surcharge) in your premiums. Maybe you want to just turn your damages into your insurance right away?

You're okay, right?

R6MGS

Yoda
Ouch! thats sad....Looks like you got off pretty lucky as far as damage goes I didn't think MG's were that tuff.

Aside from the damage your car looks really nice.

Zack

R

Randi

with all the British cars in So. Cal-try a couple of junkyards and see if you can't pull the parts yourself- Alot of the time if they don't have it they will suggest a couple of others that might. If not, try some specializing in LBC's in your vicinity on the web-hope this helps! Randi /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Jaybird, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/iagree.gif I think that if all work is professionally done it will cost about $2000:00 or more to put it right .It isn't the damage you can see that is costly its that hidden up underneath.--FWIW---Keoke

Louie

Country flag
Sorry about your accident.
We'd like you to come to a San Diego MG club meeting.
Many of the members have spare parts that might be of use to you.
We have several members from your area of San Diego County, who can give you advice, etc.
https://www.sandiegomgclub.org/

OP
MgKid1974

MgKid1974

Thanks for all the tips guys. Yah, I am fine as is the other driver who was suprisingly really nice after I had totalled his car. There is no damage to the hood, but I did have to reset the hinges because it was slightly pushed up. I have banged out the fender enough so that the wheel can move. But when I tried to drive it, it was laying rubber. I took a look at the alignment and I noticed both wheels were toed out in opposite directions. Im guessing thats not good. One of my buddies mentioned something about my wheel bearing might need to be replaced. Oh well.

jaybird

Yoda
Country flag
wrong thread

Jack_Long

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Looks like you are into a fender, lower valance, grille, bumper and maybe a new drivers' side inner panel. Is the panel under the oil cooler damaged? Did the radiator get pushed back at all? Assuming those are both No, I would guesstimate $2500 to $3000 with paint at a reputable body shop. The good news is, the stripe is only about $39!