• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Metropolitan?

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Most of you know I'm now hunting for a relatively "classic" small car, that doesn't require lots of clutch use.

Metropolitan used to offer the "E-stick", which would meet my needs.

1. Is the Met considered a British car?

2. Is anyone familiar with actually driving one, especially with E-stick?

Thanks.
Tom (who fondly remembers our 1952 Nash Rambler wagon, which we called the "Doodle Bug".) Looked just like this:

N2-1.JPG

Jerry

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
We consider it a British car at our show. But as cute as they are, I talked to a guy who said they struggle to hit 55mph. That would be a liability to my driving.

Jerry

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Thanks Jerry. I believe they gradually increased HP for the Met over the years. But it's the e-stick that would help me and my decrepit left leg.

Any idea what year your buddy's 55mph Met is?

Tom

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Rick - thanks for the kick to my brain. You're right - Met didn't use it. The Classic and American did. Story of my life: barking up the wrong chassis.

Say, I believe the early 1960s Jaguars (Mk II) offered an automatic. I believe ...

Tom

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
You may not like the best answer to this problem.........Miata.

Otherwise, VW Beetles came with the A.S.S (automatic stick shift.....no clutch pedal but you shift gears).
Or SAAB Saxomat (similar to the VW A.S.S. system).

Volvo 122S fully automatic (other than the Miata, this would be my pick).

My foot doctor has an ALFA Spider automatic (uses BMW auto trans).

There were MGB and MGC automatics using the BW 35 auto trans. Pretty hard to find these days I imagine.

The new Ferraris and Porsches come with paddle shifters and no clutch pedal. Suggested MSRP on the Ferrari is $257,412. If money's tight, you can get a new Porsche for about $150K less. :wink-new:

EDIT: ~HERE~ are some slushbox MGs in the UK.

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
"Suggested MSRP on the Ferrari is $257,412. If money's tight, you can get a new Porsche for about $150K less."

A mere $150K? Jeez, I'll get a pair! (I think ... I ... feel ... faint ...)

giphy.gif

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
There is a Daimler 250 sedan not too far from me. Almost certain it is automatic and, while it needs work would be really inexpensive to get in your drive - and I have heard it run. Would need some pinhole type bodywork and likely a new interior.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Yup. Not as good shape though. Engine purrs - and its a hemi ;) - undercarriage is solid and, I suspect $1500 - $2000 CDN would drive it home

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
JP - is this shown for sale online anywhere?

I'm trying to get some idea of who has it, what it looks like, history, etc.

Thanks.

Sarastro

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
I just lucked into a 2003 Toyota MR2 Spyder, in great shape with only 27K miles. It has the "sequential manual" transmission, which is one of the automatically controlled manual transmissions. You have to shift it--there's no fully automatic mode, but there is no clutch. My clutch leg is OK for now, but thanks to my messed-up left ankle, I can see the day when I won't be able to deal with a clutch. I like the MR2; it's a lot like the British cars in many respects. Not quite as much fun, but almost. The worst thing about it is zero cargo space. I think that a later MR2 might be worth considering.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
JP - is this shown for sale online anywhere?

I'm trying to get some idea of who has it, what it looks like, history, etc.

Thanks.

PM sent

billspohn

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Not many auto MGBs made, but quite a few MGCs, so that would be a good bet.

You might find an MG Magnette with the rare Manumatic gearbox, but that might be a mixed blessing if you needed to service it.

Country flag
One of the guys in the Chicagoland MG club has a 69 MGC with an automatic for sale. When I get home, I'll look up the ad in the club news letter and send you the specifics.

Tybalt

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
You may not like the best answer to this problem.........Miata.

Otherwise, VW Beetles came with the A.S.S (automatic stick shift.....no clutch pedal but you shift gears).
Or SAAB Saxomat (similar to the VW A.S.S. system). .....

We had another name for the A.S.S. where the middle word was rather similar to the last word but had one fewer letters. As for the Miata, not sure that I'd want an NA or an NB with a slushy, but from what I understand the slushy in the NC (2006 - 2015) with the flappy paddles is pretty good.