• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Magnetic Gearbox Drain Plug

Country flag
If you are uncomfortable with epoxying a magnet to a drain plug get the ones that are drilled/countersunk and attach it mechanically as well.

That occurred to me, but as I'm doing a gearbox and OD rebuild and it's my quest to build the only non-leaker--with synthetic oil--Healey gearbox I don't want to add another potential leak. I also thought that, as powerful as they (likely) are, you could just put one inside a gearbox/diff plug--the hollow ones--and the field would probably do the job nicely, even through the plug. But, if they are that powerful, you couldn't pry one out to get a 'socket' in (I use a ground down 3/8"->1/2" adapter; hmmm ... I'm gonna measure the depth of these). Confession: I bought a couple just to play with. Well, I will use them to fish any iron out when I cut open a filter.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Maybe:
Some body needs to ask Michael what epoxy adhesive he has used successfully over the years as I am sure he hasn't had to regret or be uncomfortable doing it this way.--Keoke

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
In answer to Keoke's inquiry I used regular JB Weld. You could drill and tap the plug so as to attach the magnet with a machine screw bedding it in the sealant of your choice if you see fit.

RAC68

Darth Vader
Hi Michael,

Good idea and more secure then just using the epoxy. Are new magnetic plugs available for the transmission and rear? Is your choice of not just replacing the old with a new magnetic plug a matter of availability, price, magnetic strength, or?

Ray(64BJ8P1)

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Ray--

I had the magnets left over from some other project and it seemed like more fun to epoxy them into the plugs than to get new magnetic plugs. Besides, I doubt that any magnetic drain plug will equal the magnetic force of the high-strength magnets.

I have used them for several different projects--pulling and holding in the side curtains on the 100 as earlier described, and in the Ginetta's very tight cockpit keeping lap belts out of the way when they are not being worn thus making entry into the car easier, etc. etc.

Magnetism is a strange and wonderful thing....

Last edited:

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I'm using the washer-style countersunk super magnets to hold my carpets in place up under the dash. They're much too strong to come loose and float around in the pan. You could attach 2 or 3 in a stack on the end of the drain plug as long as there's clearance from any moving parts.

If you're attaching one with a screw, don't tighten very much - they break easily. I'd use loctite on the screw and snug it up.

screenshot.1209.jpg

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Steve--

That's a great application--I have a couple of spots on the armacord that want to pull away from the sheet metal.
I'm getting more magnets!

RAC68

Darth Vader
Thanks Michael.

I understood there was an increase in magnetic strength between the attached magnets and the magnetic plug and was wondering if there was something the greater magnet was picking up that the magnetic plug was not.

All the best,
ray(64BJ8P1)

Country flag
I got a couple of these 'super magnets' just to play with. Can confirm they are very powerful; was playing with them and one got yanked out of my hand and they both shattered into several pieces. The neodymium appears to be sintered, i.e. pressed together from a powder, with a shiny metallic coating. I think I'd be concerned with something so brittle inside my engine or gearboxes. Just IMO.