• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Login name vs. display/username name.

ddrumman

How can I change my "display/username"?
Here's what the site says.
"Your "login name" is t he name you use to log into the forums. The "display name" is what others see you as when, for example, they view the "Who's Online" section. It is your display name that is also used when you post messages or replies in the forums.

You can use the same name for your login name and display names, or they can be different, its up to you."

However when I go to my personal info pg. there is NOTHING that allowes me to change my "display/username name" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Is it the "ICQ name" that I need to fill in?

I think your locked into it when you sign up.

Steve_S

Yoda
ICQ is a text messenging application. You may need Basil to change your user name if that's what you want.

BAAAAAASSSSILLLL!!!!

Country flag
Change your name? OK, but please don't choose something totally anonymous, I think its a nice aspect that a lot of people use their real names when here, and I think it helps people to be a little more conscious and considerate of others....

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
In fact I think folks should use their real name. I am just sorry I did not use JackLaird.

lawguy

Jedi Knight
You make a good point about the incivility that anonomity breeds. I'll keep the "lawguy" moniker, but I added my "real name" to my signature...which brings up a philosophical question...what is a "real name"? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I will not, however, be adding my social security number or credit card numbers to my sig...call me paranoid.

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
yeah... My screen names maintain a level of anonymity for me through most of the internet. However, there are a few communities that know me well by my various aliases, and they normally know of or at least have been told about the aliases i use outside their forums. The really good communities get me real name in my sig, like BCF /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

swift6

Yoda
When I am comfortable enough in forums such as this I supply my "real name" in my sig but rarely use a real name as my user name.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Heck "theAutoist" has become my name! I get lots of phone calls where somebody says to Jerri, "I'd like to speak to theAutoist."

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Hmm, that's kind of like saying "Is the Colonel there?"

You never know wether to laugh or cry.

OP
ddrumman

ddrumman

I guess when I joined I took for granted that my login name would also be my usernsme as well.
I just like to keep everything that I do on the web simple and similar. That's why my username is the same on ebay and other car forums that I'm a part of.

On the other hand you guys gave me another perspective. It IS nice to see the person's real name, although I always display it as part of my signature.

D.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
[ QUOTE ]
Hmm, that's kind of like saying "Is the Colonel there?"

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, most everybody who knows me outside the MG world calls me Colonel...heck, when daughter asked what I wanted grandson to call me, I said, "Colonel is fine." I lost that one!

Oh, I would've moved this thread over to another forum except Dimitri is new around here & I figured you guys could steer him in the right direction....

Dimitri, I'd suggest you send Basil a PM & see wht he can do for you.

Basil

Administrator
Boss
[ QUOTE ]
How can I change my "display/username"?
Here's what the site says.
"Your "login name" is t he name you use to log into the forums. The "display name" is what others see you as when, for example, they view the "Who's Online" section. It is your display name that is also used when you post messages or replies in the forums.

You can use the same name for your login name and display names, or they can be different, its up to you."

However when I go to my personal info pg. there is NOTHING that allowes me to change my "display/username name" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Is it the "ICQ name" that I need to fill in?

[/ QUOTE ]

I changed it for you. Your login name remains as it was.

Basil

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
For me, Doc is fine. DrE if it suits. My "real name" is for sidebars, PM's and face-to-face. I don't believe I've been "uncivil" here (well, not in a ~bad~ way /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif), the perception of maintaining "anonimity" is simply a matter of keeping the 'net out at arm's length. Plenty of folk here know my RL nomer, but I trust them to keep it to themselves/eachother. THAT is internet "civility" in my book. It ain't that hard to dig thru things and find names, we've lately seen what a "skript kiddie" and a 'bot with warez can do. And at any given time there are lurkers here 2 or 3-to-1 to registered members... I'll keep the username. It gives me my paranoid illusion of "distance." /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Basil

Administrator
Boss
[ QUOTE ]
And what a mind!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/savewave.gif

Stuart. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

216884-Basil-medium.jpg

Attachments

• 216884-Basil-medium.jpg
    216884-Basil-medium.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 53

jsneddon

Jedi Knight
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
It gives me my paranoid illusion of "distance." /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Living in Denmark isn't distance enough ?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
To quote the Brooklyn Bunny: "ehhh.... it's a livin'."