• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

lightened flywheel

rjc157

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
going to have the flywheel lightened as my winter project does anyone have the spects how much to take off and being ignorant to it which side this way i can direct the machine shop,also the reason why i don't have it sent out is because it would cost more to ship back and forth than what the cost would be thanks guys

wangdango

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
A lot depends on which car flywheel you are talking about. On the 100/4's, the flywheel has a large area that protrudes, that can be removed. A better way to go is to go with a BJ8 flywheel and have a machine shop remove 10lbs from the area that does not contact the clutch. Most machine shops have done flywheel work and should have no issues helping getting this done.

wangdango

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
IT can be removed from either side, but not where the clutch disk contacts it. It should also be balanced once the material is removed. You should be able to see where it was balanced before, (holes drilled). As a rule of thumb, all the moving parts, (flywheel, clutch disk, pressure plate, crank) should be balanced

OP
rjc157

rjc157

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
trying to get in touch with you i'm in ny also do you know of a machine shop that has experience in lightening a flywheel

wangdango

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
We had Peter Genovese do ours, he is up in Highland Ny, 845-384-6073. He has a vast knowledge of Healeys. We just got back our engine for our 100m vintage race car that he put together for us. He can do anything from fabrication, painting, machine work, etc.

TimK

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
I took off my flywheel to install a rear main oil seal. I put it back on 180 degrees off without knowing about the need to have the #1 stamped on the flywheel at the top when at TDC. I then had a bad vibration between 2500 and 3000 rpm. When I later discovered the need to put the flywheel back in the correct position (I had before and after pictures that showed the change in position) and did so, the vibration disappeared. My question with a lightened or new flywheel, how do you get it balanced to the engine (crank, pistons etc.)? In other words, it seems that the flywheel was out of balance to offset other components out of balance.

Country flag
I've had (both) dampeners and flywheels matched to components that were removed; the removed part was "read" for balance, and the new one brought as close to that as possible.

Probably not as 100% perfectly balanced as doing it all together, but it's "saved" the balance job on more than one (>1) engine I've worked on.

TimK

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
Randy Forbes said:
I've had (both) dampeners and flywheels matched to components that were removed; the removed part was "read" for balance, and the new one brought as close to that as possible.

Probably not as 100% perfectly balanced as doing it all together, but it's "saved" the balance job on more than one (>1) engine I've worked on.

Very clever, Randy!

EV2239

Jedi Warrior
The biggest out of balance force in these engines is the clutch. It will always introduce vibration if a new one is fitted without it and the flywheel being balanced together.

Austin dynamically balanced the Healey engine and so it's surprisingly smooth when is is done.