• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

LI., NY to PEI, Canada

DavidDeutsch

David Deutsch, PEI Canada right now, MGman@optonline.net
We have put a combined total of approximately 4,000 miles on the four MGs in the last three days. We ran the coast of Maine and New Brunswick all the way up. They are all running fantastic. We've got George and June in their Midget (better known for their previously owned "flamed" MGB, Alan and Enid in their 1980 B and Kim deBourbon in her 1966 B. Chaz deBourbon is in his Subaru, doing his usual wonderful job as chase and rescue / beverage and BBQ cart. Tomorrow we attend the British Across the Bridge car show aqnd if the welcome reception we attended last night, is any indication of what we have in store... IT's GOING TO BE GREAT!!

Temperature is in the mid-70's, sky is clear and so are the absolutely wonderful, made for our cars, country roads.

We'll be returning thru the middle of Maine and into the White Mountains of New Hampshire.

I'll try to post pictures later tonight.

Safety Fast,
David Deutsch

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
Excellent!
And a good idea to have a "chase car", just in case.
We have been interested in touring that area for a while (we took a cruise from NY harbor to Halifax/St. John last year). But we would likely take the Miata.
It would be really fun to go up when the Targa Newfoundland is running.
Those folks in the Midget really have guts....I've driven my Spridget on long trips when it was a street car. There's nothing quite like listening to 4000 rpm for hours....and hours....and hours.
And yes: Send pictures.

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Great going Dave! All the best to you and the crew.

OP
D

DavidDeutsch

Great Stuff, Here a few shots from today's show. I'm averaging 29 miles per gallon.

Attachments

• 233597-PEIShow003.jpg
    233597-PEIShow003.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 95

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Love that old pickup!

OP
D

DavidDeutsch

Just in from the awards banquet. A 2nd place went to both Kim deBourbon's 66 MGB and George Carrasquillo's Midget. A British Breakfast in the morning and we'll be back on the road.

Attachments

• 233737-PEIShow011.jpg
    233737-PEIShow011.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 82

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Nice. Great job!

Scott_Hower

Luke Skywalker
Hey David - Happy touring. I see you decided to leave Mike Robson at home. Oh yeah, the heiffers at Rod's Roadhouse want to know when you'll be back /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

OP
D

DavidDeutsch

Scott, Mike has moved to NC and Carlisle Import is something I no longer attend.

The PEI trip hit a small snag yesterday when George Midget experienced major engine failure. We don't know yet what let go BUT there's a large crack along the block from front to back on the driver's side It's in a box truck in the hotel parking lot right now and will be going back home tomorrow.

Attachments

• 234491-PEIShow022.jpg
    234491-PEIShow022.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 79
How did you get it in the box truck?

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Very carefully Kenny. I bet a bank and 2x8s were involved.

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
Sorry to hear about the Midget engine failure.
Sounds terminal to say the least.

A nice thing on the newer Midgets is to fit the Spitfire overdrive (makes the engine last longer and is quieter too).
Worth considering if the car is to be repaired anyway.

A Spridget will easily fit in a good size box truck. I transported my racer all over the east coast in a former-FDNY StepVan (Chevy G30) up to last year....just using a couple of wooden ramps.

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
That sucks to say the least. Finishing the trip towing your ride in a box truck.

OP
D

DavidDeutsch

We called a towing service to load on a flat bed and then back up to the rear of the box truck and match the height. There's a picture of it in the truck at my last post. We are back home now and George just called to tell me that he was able to unload the truck on a neighbor's driveway that had a good pitch to it.

All in all it was a great trip... not sure if George feels the same way. It's going to be a while till I'm ready to take another one of these. I'm going to a Lobsterbake in Maine the weekend of July 29th and 30th and am seriously thinking about taking the new Aerio SX I just bought.

Somethings not mentioned is that the Midget bit it in Canada /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/canpatriot.GIF about 80 miles from the US /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/patriot.gif border. I towed it w/ the trailer, behind my B, over the border (customs guys were doing some head scratching) and another 60 beyond that to get to our hotel. It was during that leg that I FINALLY got to see a moose on the side of the road. Monday morning I towed it another 50 miles from Lincoln to Bangor, ME, where we had the box truck reserved.

Attachments

• 234863-PEIShow036.jpg
    234863-PEIShow036.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 81
slide it out sideways onto the ramp, and let it slide down the ramp... then pull the truck forward away from the car? Might work.

Kim de B

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Just catching up on this post ... I managed to go an entire week without checking email or going online once, which I think is a new record ....

Had a fantastic time, although the long last day's drive home from northern New Hampshire was grueling yesterday, what with the 100º temperatures and extreme humidity. Too hot to put the top down, and a long day of interstate travel just isn't any fun, especially after you've spent a couple of days driving on relaxing back country roads.

But PEI was great. Loved it there, and wished we had had more time to explore the whole island. Also never would have thought it possible for an MGB to tow a Midget and a trailer for more than 200 miles. Incredible! Fortunately, it wasn't quite as hot up there during the time it had to be towed.

Will post some photos of the towing operation when I get a chance to upload them from the cameras. Gotta go to work now. (Reality sucks!)