• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

How to ship transmission from Canada to Rivergate in Tennesee?

twas_brillig

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I've rarely driven our Bugeye for several years because the drivetrain locks up. I had the Datsun tranny rebuilt locally and checked again by the same shop (I trust them); we've also pulled the diff out and can't see any indication of the differentila/axles locking up so would like to ship the transmission down to Rivergate and ask them to check it out as they've sure seen a lot more of them than the local guys. But! I called up one outfit and they wanted $ 700 Cdn for one way - for a 55 pound transmission (plus the weight of the wooden box). I'd appreciate any suggestions as to cost effective ways to ship from Calgary Alberta to Sale Creek Tennessee. Shipping can be a pain: I purchsed the engine block attachment for a remote oil filter for a BMW 2002 and asked the seller to just throw it in the mail - he sent it by UPS so I paid the seller for the part and for the shipping, and then UPS wanted another $ 88 for crossing the border - for something aluminum about the size of my hand. Suggestions appreciated. Thanks, Doug

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
That pesky border.

1. drive across the border and ship from Montana (or whatever is close) We live 1 1/2 hours from Buffalo and in non-covid times it is typically cheaper and quicker to just go that route.

2. I have had good success recently with a company called netparcel - did a quick look - 24" X 20" by 20" parcel by 100lbs (BUT only a $100 valuation!) and this is what they came back with

1645794465705.png

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Bus?

OP
T

twas_brillig

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Thanks JP et al. It's about a 3 1/2 hour drive down to the border at Sweetgrass Montana. Greyhound shut down in Canada some years ago, Larry, so we don't have a major, national, bus system, and they don't seem to have a stop in Sweetgrass. I tried to get an estimate (for curiosity) for shipping from Billings, but was defeated by the various web-pages. I'll have to take a tape measure up to the local Lowe's as no luck trollig for the tote that drooartz mentioned. The search for knowledge continues!

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Mine was taken to the local FedEX or UPS Shipping here in the states and they packed for shipping. Two 18 x 18 Boxes were used. The flaps of the inner box were taped shut and reinforced with tape and an opening was cut so that tranny bellousing was down and sitting on a 2" thick piece of of styrofoam, I would have placed a 18 x 18 piece of cardboard over the top of the styrofoam so bell housing was supported. Slide second box over the tailshaft of the tranny. Again a piece of cardboard, and layer of 1-2" styfroam protects the tailshaft. Fill all voids with foam peanuts packed tightly. Start with one side. get it tight, tape one end loosely, flip box over. pack with foam peanuts, Seal up loosely. flip box over again, open and add more peanuts as needed. Do the same on the other end. Box as shipped was 18 x 18 x 31. Cost to ship from WI to Tampa was around $150 via ground. Professional packing was ~ $100.00. Done right and tranny arrived safely.

OP
T

twas_brillig

Jedi Knight
Country flag
A motorcycle shop (currently bringing my 1969 Kawaskai H1 500 cc 3 cyl. 2 stroke back to life) advised that they use DYKpost.com to move stuff from Calgary down to Sweetgrass Montana and into the US Postal Service, plus offer a return service whereby stuff is delivered to 'my' postal address in Sweetgrass and they bring it back up here. Using approximate figures, it looks $ 137 US from Sweetgarss to Rivergate in Tennessee plus whatever the costs are on my side of the line. Thinks are looking up! Will advise when I get my act together and actually do this.
Drew - please holler if you figure out what size tote you used.
Thanks all! Doug

RichBall

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Doug,

I can't speak to shipping methods from Canada. but I can speak to packaging. I have shipped several of these gearbox's that I have sold and have good luck with this method.
I use a 15 x15 x 48 inch golf club shipping box cut down to the needed length. you can get these online or from Fedex or UPS. I cut four 15 x 15 inch squares from 2 inch ridged house insulation. Two squares stay whole and two have the centers cut out. One to match the shape of the bellhousing and one to match the tailshaft. I usually ship with the dust shield in place, but you may not have this. Using spray adhesive I glue the cut squares to the face of each of the whole ones. For a little added strength I glue a scrap of cardboard between the two for the tailshaft. Although the gearbox is drained I rubber band bags over the input shaft and tailshaft to prevent leaks. Now sandwich the gearbox between the foam blocks and slide into the golf club box. To make this easier I bolt the bellhousing foam to the bellhousing with two or four bolts. Once in the box cut it to length and seal with tape.

Clear as mud, right. This method is secure, light, reusable, and inexpensive.
Credit where credit is due, I got this idea from Bill Masquelier

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Here's the tote I used to ship a Datsun trans in the past. Bought these at Lowes. Commander XXL 27 gal tote. 30.8x20.3x14.5".

IMG_1175.jpeg

IMG_1176.jpeg