• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Canada in the summer

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
My Canadien friends...my wife and I would like to plan a trip 'up north' for the end of August or the first of September and have only been to BC before. We like to eat and love to experience different things, really like nature, love LBCs (me) and in general like to sight see. It would be a plus if we could meet someone from the BCF while there and see what you have going on. If this was your first visit, where would you go?
Thanks, Rut

apbos

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Rut
We are leaving next week for Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island to see the inlaws and our class reunion. I will keep you informed on our travels. Lots to do on the east coast and great food. It has been 10 years, so I know things have changed. JP could fill you in on whats up in Ontario. You have reminded me that I should lok into some car shows during our trip. I know I' ll want to get away for a little while while visiting the inlaws:smile:.
Paul

OP
Rut

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Paul,
Weve only visited Victoria and Vancouver and my wife is leaning toward an area that might have a European flair. I would prefer Lake Louise and the mountains, but we have plans for Yellowstone and Jackson Hole in the near future so she wins this one.
Rut

apbos

Jedi Knight
Country flag
European Flair= Quebec City, Quebec and the Gaspe Peninsula of course being married to a faire Scottish Las from Cape Breton you can not get any closer to Scotland then the Maritime Provinces.

OP
Rut

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Jo and I have decided to fly into Quebec City and travel to Niagra and fly out. We will probably spend a week and would like to know the must see/dos there and along the way. Would you take public transportation or rent a car when headed toward Niagra? Would love some recommendations of restaurants/cafes or anything unique to the area or culture.
Thanks, Rut

sswarin

Country flag
I think that you would need a car to get from Quebec City to Niagara. In the Niagara area there are lots of really nice, high end wineries. The town on Niagara-on-the-Lake depends on the wineries and the Shaw Festival (theater) for tourist dollars. Several excellent restaurants in the area. Of course Niagara depends on the Falls with lots of tourist attractions. Just remember your passports.

Bill H

Freshman Member
I can help you out quite a bit here Rut. Definetly you will want to rent a car for travel to Niagara. While in Quebec City which you should spend a bit of time there would you prefer hotel or slightly less expensive short term rental which is very popular there. You can rent a condo space with full kitchen to save one eating out, I can set you up either contacts there. When you travel west toward Niagara, I would recommend a Thousand island boat your....probably out of Rockport, but there are lots of other options. Then Kingston, Ontario ( my home town) has some great sights. Once you reach Niagara there is a great british car club there...you could check for possible shows at that time of year.

OP
Rut

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Bill,
Thanks! We will want a hotel located near sights worth walking to and eating out is one of our favorite things to do. Looks like we will rent a car for our trip to Niagra and see what lies between the two areas.
Rut

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
When do you want to come? Late August - September is a gorgeous time of the year - the weather is perfect and after Labour Day things quiet right down.

I agree with much that has been said and would add a couple of things.

1. The largest one day British Car Show in North America is just outside Toronto on September 20 - https://www.torontotriumph.com/BCD/

2. Are you flying in? If so, fly to Buffalo (or even Rochester) rent a car an drive around - will save you lots of Money.

3. Niagara on the Lake is amazing in the fall because of the grape harvest.

4. There are lovely drives along the way - we can advise as you get closer.

5. I am in Toronto and would be delighted to buy you a beverage - for that matter, borrow Ms Triss for an afternoon if you want an LBC fix.

6. Going back to your very first post, if you stop at the border and say you are coming to see Canadien friends as opposed to Canadian friends, they have to turn you back - it's the law. :devilgrin:

OP
Rut

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
JP,
You got me! English is not my native language, Southern is...
i would like nothing better than to take you up on your offer when we visit Toronto! Please explain the savings of flying into Buffalo or Rochester and renting a car there. We plan on flying in to wherever we finally decide and it will be the end of August of first part of September, but we are flexible. We are using sky miles for the flight and I haven't checked into the cost/mileage yet. We can do Niagra first and work our way up to Quebec City, but we aren't married to any schedule or location.
Thanks, Rut

Bill H

Freshman Member
Bill,
Thanks! We will want a hotel located near sights worth walking to and eating out is one of our favorite things to do. Looks like we will rent a car for our trip to Niagra and see what lies between the two areas.
Rut

Hey Rut
A great reasonably priced hotel within the fortifications of old Quebec is the Hotel Clarendon, perfect for walking to many sites within Quebec City, have stayed there myself.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
JP,
You got me! English is not my native language, Southern is...
i would like nothing better than to take you up on your offer when we visit Toronto! Please explain the savings of flying into Buffalo or Rochester and renting a car there. We plan on flying in to wherever we finally decide and it will be the end of August of first part of September, but we are flexible. We are using sky miles for the flight and I haven't checked into the cost/mileage yet. We can do Niagra first and work our way up to Quebec City, but we aren't married to any schedule or location.
Thanks, Rut

Ok, First Niagara not Niagra :grin: durn southerners y'all shorten everything.

1. If you start in Quebec City, the closest you can really fly is Montreal. AND it is an international flight - national flights will always be cheaper.

So, not a ton cheaper it turns out but just did a quick search and at the end of August, Birmingham - Buffalo is $397 round trip while Birmingham - Montreal is $462.

2. Car rentals likewise are much cheaper if you finish where you started. We looked into renting in Seattle and returning in San Diego - would have cost $500 more.

3. It is an eight hour drive to Quebec City - directly and you can meander back.

I would suggest a night or two in Quebec, a night in Montreal - a drive to Kingston, drive to Toronto through Prince Edward County - very pretty and lots of wineries. - a few nights in Toronto with a day trip or two - the Warplane Heritage museum comes to mind, and perhaps up to Collingwood/Muskoka (cottage country) perhaps a night in Niagara on the Lake (very historic and again, lots of wineries) back to Buffalo and home.

weewillie

Darth Vader
Country flag
if you have time go and see The Rock (Newfoundland) ferry from north Sidney Nova Scotia to Port aux Basque in Newfoundland, My daughter is going there next week for 2 weeks although the second week she is there it is "down home week" when a lot of the Newfies go back home for a visit. Hotels are hard to come by that week.

apbos

Jedi Knight
Country flag
if you have time go and see The Rock (Newfoundland) ferry from north Sidney Nova Scotia to
My wife is from " Nort Sidne" the gateway to " Newfinland". We leave for NS on Wed. , think about what it was like for this Southern California "By" when I first meet the future inlaws :smile:. Hopefully we can make a trip to the Rock someday to "kiss the Cod"
Paul

nomad

Yoda
If you get to Lake Louise you need to drop down to Waterton Lakes and drive up to Jasper as well. West of there are a lot of roads that Rand Mc Nally marks with dotted lines for scenic that are on our bucket list but you won't be disappointed with that stretch of road.

Kurt.