• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

K&N filters for HD8 carbs

Digger

Freshman Member
Country flag
Does anyone know of a source for the K&N, or similar, air filters for the HD8 carbs used on a BJ8? I can't seem to find them, although I did find some for a Jag E-type, which I think uses the same carbs. https://www.dragtimes.com/Jaguar-E-Type-Custom-Air-Filter-Assembly-Part-64060.html

I have the engine out of the car, so I am unable to check the clearances. Any help or suggestions for replacement of the original filter would be appreciated.

Stretch

Jedi Trainee
I go to my local car parts store that sells K&N filters and they order both oil and air filters I need overnight. You should have a parts store near you who can do the same.

Country flag
They have them for the BJ8? I could not find them on their web-sight. Are they the pancake type the Coopers are? I was told they didn't have anything that thin.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
HI Stretch perhaps you could share the part number of the K&N Air Filters that you obtained to fit the HD8 carbs with the Forum. Fwiw---Keoke

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
I'd call K&N. The largest SU carb they list on their site is 1¾". I have called them in the past and found they have more than what they list on the site. Another option is one of the vendors that advertise here on BCF.
bah.jpg

Country flag
Not much of a fan of K&N; hold one up to the light, and you'll get an idea of how much filtration they'll do. They will keep out cats & dogs, but maybe not so many little insects.

Several years ago, a BMW enthusiast compared their claimed flowrate against the stock paper gaskets, and clean for clean, they were about the same. Sure, maybe at 150,000 miles the K&N will flow more air (and debris) but most of us will have changed our paper elements several times by then.

In the case of the Healey, you have to wash and re-oil the stock filters, so why buy aftermarket filters that require the same maintenance?

Just one man's opinion.

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I have the SU FIlters pictured in Greg's post on my wife's 3000 and while they look nice I don't think they are anything special--just kind of "dressy". and they match the red Unilite and spark plug lines that are also installed!

I have a CAB on my 100 with a modified DW filter and foam stuffed up into the nose of the intake line so that it is accessible/cleanable simply by reaching into the wheel well.

I use a thick K&N on my Elva race car and think their product is the best. It is more durable and I always have a spare set cleaned and oiled and ready to install each time I service the engine after each race event.

In all cases with oil-type filters regular cleaning and light oiling is the ticket. I once removed the filter from my 100 when I was travelling out west and washed it--it was quite incredible how much dirt it had captured, all of which otherwise makes its way into the egine and causes wear.

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
"Not much of a fan of K&N; hold one up to the light, and you'll get an idea of how much filtration they'll do. They will keep out cats & dogs, but maybe not so many little insects."
------------------------
Randy--

Now there ya go being wrong again!

MarkA

Jedi Trainee
The K&N filters available for the E-type don't have the correct offset for correct fitment. I also believe the ones I have seen were a little too tall.

I also looked into taking the 1 3/4" version and opening it up. Didn't have enough material to get the correct offset for the front carb. K&N said they would ship me blanks for the base and I could cut my own, ... but then I just cleaned the originals and am waiting for a better solution.

Mark

B

BUNDYRUM

Hello GBPatterson, I bought my K & N filters from K & N. One was a 1 3/4" that I opened out to 2" diameter, the other was a blank that I machined to suit. I had to offset the mounting holes so it would fit onto the front carb and clear the shroud. The thickness of the filter is 1 3/4".

Hello MarkA, this is exactly as you described, they work just fine.

Best regards,

bundyrum.

Country flag
I once negotiated to have some K&N filter kits for HD8 carbs custom machined by Advanced Performance Technologies (https://www.aptfast.com/). I worked directly with the owner, who built a prototype with the front filter offset as required by the front carb (I sent my original filter to him for use as a pattern). I 'advertised' to the healeys mailing list and had probably 20 people ready to buy. APT sent me the prototypes, along with some really nice billet stub stacks. I installed the filters and stub stacks and provided feedback to the owner of APT about fitting, mounting, etc. Then, the owner's wife was in some kind of serious accident--car, I think--and he became increasingly difficult to contact, eventually not returning my emails. I had to notify all the people who wanted the kits of this unfortunate failure.

Maybe if enough people contact APT saying they heard about this kit and want one he'll reconsider.

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I bought mine from Moss a few years ago. They are the 1-3/4 type

The front one was hitting the bodywork so it was necessary to rework the inner plate to offset it right next to the carb dome. This gave 1/4" clearance or so between the air cleaner and the bodywork.

I prepared a drawing which is here:
https://www.healey6.com/Technical/Werner/Installing%20K.pdf

Stretch

Jedi Trainee
I am using the K&N E-3180 filter element for my BJ7 (1.75 in. height). I am unaware of a K&N assembly/filter made specifically for the HD8 carb.

B

BUNDYRUM

Hello GBPatterson, I removed my front air filter to day and the hole is 1" offset from center.

Best regards,

bundyrum.

Country flag
re: 'If you are using "after market" air filters, where do you put the hose from break servo?'

I left it going into the intake manifold. I routed the crankcase vent hose into a PCV valve, also going into the manifold.

Country flag
tahoe healey said:
If you are using "after market" air filters, where do you put the hose from break servo?
If your BRAKE vacuum servo hose is routed to the air filter, you must have an incredibly hard BRAKE pedal.

B

BUNDYRUM

Hello tahoe healey, you attach it to the piece of tube you had welded to the filter backing plate.
Best regards,
bundyrum.