• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

I stink!! aka Monza exhaust

brent615

Jedi Trainee
I have gotten use to the sound of my Monza but I still smell like exhaust when I get out of my TR6, enough so that my wife makes me change shirts in the garage. My pipes stick out a good 2-3 inches beyond my rear bumper. I am wondering if I shorten the pipes somewhere under the car and bring the tips back to flush with the bumper if this will reduce the amount of exhaust recirculating into the cockpit.

Other ideas welcome!!

bailee2

Jedi Hopeful
Check all of the firewall plugs and the tunnel cover gasket because engine breathers and manifold exhaust leaks will flow into these areas and get in your clothes.

Check the manifold gasket and make sure it is not leaking.
If your carpet smells like oil thats probably an area to look into.

1959 TR3A
1972 TR6
/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cheers.gif

kodanja

Obi Wan
Country flag
Mine are about even with the rear bumper and i never get any smell from them
CARTR64.jpg

AltaKnight

Jedi Knight
I have a distinct TR6 exhaust odor (so says my wife) after driving at high speed, it's mostly unnoticeable when in town at more sedate speeds. I have the stock system and my engine is in great shape and perfectly tuned.
I think it's just these cars; I very much doubt you can correct it by varying the length of the pipes unless you can extend them out about 10' to 15'

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Somebody had that problem and fixed it by adding tips to the car. It was a Monza too. Might be a brand thing.

V

vagt6

Be very careful when working with the exhaust system. And, since you "smell" like exhaust when you exit the car, this means you are breathing CO2 for most of the time you're driving!

CO2 is odorless and can overwhelm you quickly, even in a roadster with the top down. Be sure the system is sealed and hung properly, and take care of the smelly part.

Potentially very dangerous.

Good luck, be careful! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/driving.gif

kc_doyle

Jedi Trainee
it could be the design of the 6 I have them on my 71 Spit and no smell at any speed. I love the sound. "the mouse that roared."

NickMorgan

Jedi Knight
Is your boot seal OK? I used to have this problem with a TR4 where the exhaust fumes were being sucked in through the boot. A new seal solved the problem.

LastDeadLast

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I've got exhaust that is very similar to the Monza and I don't have much of any exhaust smell while driving.

Here's what I did:

1. Make sure you don't have your gas tank venting to the atmosphere
2. Make sure that the grommets and plugs and in good shape in the firewall.
3. Make sure the trans tunnel seal is in good shape.
4. Make sure the trunk has good weather stripping as well as all the bottom plugs in good shape.
5. check exhaust for leaks.
6. How is your valve cover being vented? If it's venting to the atmosphere with no filter, this could be a source of stink too.
7. Is your car running too rich?

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
vagt6 said:
Be very careful when working with the exhaust system. And, since you "smell" like exhaust when you exit the car, this means you are breathing CO2 for most of the time you're driving!
Someone's been listening to the news too much /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

We have all been breathing CO2 all our lives ! It's a normal, natural component of earth's air; you will actually die without it.

It's CO that will kill you and is found in car exhaust.

LastDeadLast

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Aldwyn said:
How do you check the exhaust for leaks?

My car always has a "TR6 Smell" to it, and the garage smells of it as well.

Make sure the joints are not leaking.. if they are you'll usually see a black stain on the pipe where the exhaust is leaking out.

healeys4me

Brent,

my wife tells me the same thing, she like to see me with my shirt off. . .

So back to reality, my TR6 had the same issue. Turns out the Monza tips were too short. I placed an extension and pushed them further away (1.5 inches). That solved the odor problem, seems there is a vortex condition on the back end of these cars.

Best regards,

John

vettedog72

Jedi Knight
All the little problems that must be addressed like rubber bungs, grommets, transmission hump seal, etc. can be done and they eliminate some of the smell but not all of it. Back in the day of "new" TR6's, I wonder if you could pick out a driver by smell? I don't know if the other TR's have the smell problem but many TR6's do.

Terry_Geiger

As others have mentioned, it is worth checking the seals on the boot lid and around the tail lights as this can cause fumes to be sucked into the boot and then eventually into the car. With the exhaust coming straight out the back, there will always be some exhaust trapped in the area of low pressure directly behind the car. This is a big reason the tail light housings (and frequently the rear bumpers) become tinted and dull. Here was my solution, not stock but it gets the exhaust into the slip stream of the car and away from the car.
https://www.shoalsbritishcars.org/technical/exhaust.htm

MDCanaday

Jedi Knight
I have found from trial and error that the split tips on the monza style exhaust slow down the gasses and let them swirll at some speeds.This is why tr6's have problems with tail lamp chrome,some swirll is in the design of the car. It can be made worse with different style exhausts.
MD(mad dog)

LastDeadLast

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I agree with Mad Dog. After every drive I usually wipe down the rear section of the car.

I think my only saving grace with the fumes is that I've taken great pains to seal things off.

G

Stop using deodorant, soon your own body odor with overpower the smell of Triumph exhaust fumes and your wife will stop complaining.

LastDeadLast

Jedi Knight
Country flag
TR6BILL said:
Stop using deodorant, soon your own body odor with overpower the smell of Triumph exhaust fumes and your wife will stop complaining.

How to win friends and influence people the Bill Karam way!

/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/jester.gif