• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

I have the DHC running but have some concerns

PATR8

Jedi Knight
Woody always told me he kept the FHC for the body's rigidity. Today I took the TR7V8 out for a more serious run and found out just how smart Woody is. Good Golly I feel the entire unibody flexing under acceleration, door groaning when I get on it. I guess the strut supports and the Wilwood break kits will be the next purchases , probably get it ordered before I get it painted. I am not sure what else I can do to lessen the body twist. I swear it feels like the one front tire wants to come off the ground when I use the pedal on the right and when i get off the gas the front end settles in and gets kind of squirrelly.

I do like the top down driving, the weather has cooled off so the evenings are very pleasant

philman

Jedi Knight
do you think that installing a roll bar will help?

OP
PATR8

PATR8

Jedi Knight
I think the two things i could get the most benefit from would be a roll bar and the strut supports. I like the strut supports more but I have had trouble finding a roll bar I like. Does any one have some pics of theirs?

philman

Jedi Knight
i got mine from tsi, when i get home i'll pm you a photo. i had to remove the interior (seats and carpeting, parcel tray, etc) and drop the fuel tank to install it. otherwise it was simple

YankeeTR

Luke Skywalker
The strut supports will help but only for cornering. These cars are pretty flexible compared to modern cars and you have to live with their limitations unless you want to install a six point (or larger) roll cage.

tr8todd

Jedi Knight
The roll bar will help. All of the roll bars that you see for sale are built by Kirk racing in Alabama. Woody and Ted buy in volume, so they have them in stock and can offer them cheaper than if you call Kirk directly for one. If the car is squirly, I would suggest you check out the rear suspension attachment points. It is very common on TR8s for those holes in the body to oblong. If you can see where the undercoating is worn away at the front or rear of the hole, then the suspension arms are moving forward and backward under load. Also check the bushings. Stock old bushings will give the same effect. Front strut bar will help less than the roll bar will. To realy stiffen up the front, You will need to tie the front frame rails together better. The convertibles have a much stronger front cross rail than the coupes. It supports the front bumper pivot point. I would suggest strengthening that first with some extra welding if you are painting anyway. Eurethane subframe bushings help a ton. What ever you can do to lock everything together. If you are not happy with the roll bars that are for sale out there, take a trip up here to see Woody. I can build you anything you want in a roll bar while you visit. It's really nice up here in the fall, and we have some good shows coming up. Sure beats walking around Carlisle in the rain.

OP
PATR8

PATR8

Jedi Knight
I have checked the mounts, all good, I have a set of Woody's poly bushings installed. The idea of a trip to Mass. to have a roll bar custom made and installed would be a great trip (other than the fact it has been
Monsoon-ing here for two days). Maybe in the fall as the leaves are changing..... combine two expensive endeavors into one... (LBC and a Vacation).

CArlisle and the TRF party always seems to fall on weeks where the Army thinks it is important to be protecting the country from outside the country...