• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Hardtop Indentification

prb51

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
hardtop.jpeg

roscoe

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
It looks pretty much like mine. Mine is made by Plastics Dynamics of Compton , CA. Long since out of business. It did require some very minor trimming and I did not have any of the original parts to fasten it to the windscreen or the rear of the cockpit. By machining a spacer block I was able to use the same hardware that my soft top uses. In the rear I made up nylon 1" wide straps that buckle with fastec fasteners. So far it has remained solid at almost 90 mph ( and I think I'm done/too old to be driving that fast again). Happy to answer any questions as yours is only the 2nd one I've seen. Yours even has the single hole driled behind the rear pillar area that I used to attach the nylon straps. The other side of the buckle was attached by using one of the 3 bolt holes that secure the soft top frame.

Attachments

• IMG_20220819_105154740~2_copy_1052x936.jpg
    IMG_20220819_105154740~2_copy_1052x936.jpg
    406.7 KB · Views: 69
OP
prb51

prb51

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I knew it was a 100 simply by the windows profile.... scammer with zip posts trying to tell me it is for a 100-6 but I know better. If he is watching lol, if not I will string him along....I suspect the only thing he owns is a picture.

Editor_Reid

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
I knew it was a 100 simply by the windows profile.... scammer with zip posts trying to tell me it is for a 100-6 but I know better. If he is watching lol, if not I will string him along....I suspect the only thing he owns is a picture.

The photos looks like the Photoshop anisotropic diffusion filter has been applied. Strange choice, but it does obscure details, such as imperfections in the subject, and it would also obscure details to allow identification of the place the photo was taken.

Red Flag.

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Definitely for a 100--not only the side window aperture's shape but also its length-height ratio as 100-s were shorter between the A and B pillars than were later six-cylinder cars. I have seen numerous names attached to 100 hardtops and molds may have passed from one producer to another over the years.

To my eye the best looking tops for 100's are made by NICAL in the UK and Steve Pike in AUS, each of whom claims that the other copied his top. (I'll admit to being prejudiced as I own one of Nick's.)

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Hardtop scams seem to be really prevalent on Facebook lately. They steal pictures of hardtops from other sites and advertise them at a cheap price, hoping to get at least a deposit from their marks. Just last week I saw an ad where the seller said he was located in Michigan and when I started to look closely at the background of the pictures noticed it was actually pictures from my friend's garage in Massachusetts. Caveat Emptor indeed!

Guido36

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
The lettering on the dumpster has conveniently been rendered illegible by the applied filter.

On the subject of the Nical/Pike claims, after having spoken extensively with Pete Farmer over a few years I remain of the opinion that he was the originator of this works inspired 100 hardtop. He also produced hardtops for other later Healey models which are similar in the configuration of the rear pillar, rear window - especially the bottom rail. As far as I am aware nobody has copied those. Mark Baker’s Healey 100R used an earlier Pete Farmer hardtop and Pete and I had conversations about how he had to correct the asymmetrical shape of the rear window which is clearly apparent on Mark Baker’s Healey. Paradoxically the Nical website photos of this style of 100 hardtop show a black BN1 with a driver in a red jacket. That driver is Pete Farmer! Pete’s 100 hardtop was probably one of the only ones on the market recently, along with the Haldane hardtop from their replica 100. Disclosure: I own two Pete Farmer hardtops with the unique to him open fresh air scoop….

FE8EF980-75FD-41D1-9274-69A68F523968.jpeg

B06DA863-6756-4A83-9F4A-52EBCF69C3FF.jpeg

Mark Baker’s 100R with asymetrical rear window:

16F03E39-2552-4D52-905E-F5B2C0E50E2F.jpeg

WHT

Jedi Hopeful
Silver
Country flag
For what it is worth,

Nick (NICAL) once told me he was at a car meet where Pete Farmer was selling hardtops. He said, while laughing, "Pete did not recognize me and I purchased one of his hardtops".

I have looked at a number of hardtops produced during the last 12 years, and many of the molds must of had problems based on the appearance of the finished hardtop (and, they had different problems depending on the year of manufacturing as molds were revised).

Nick also said he wanted to buy Pete's company when/if he retired.

Regards, Bill

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Given how well Mark's car was finished why is the rear window asymmetrical

Guido36

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
I can only surmise that Mark Baker’s hardtop was a very early Pete Farmer Performance production item. The top photo below shows the last iteration with the symmetrical rear window opening.

I have also attached a couple of photos of the Haldane hardtop - on a Haldane reproduction Healey 100 with the convoluted side screen arrangement which is reminiscent of the first type of Healey 100 perspex side screens. The two further photos show a similarity with the Plastic Dynamics hardtop shape and rear window but without the raised centre section….

47045F8A-0162-476C-8ACB-8A254AFEC19E.jpeg
5144D32C-6EA7-4EAE-B3C7-9C7A58BC3A54.jpeg
A42EA0D9-8C05-4582-A5FE-802FDEB8E3EF.jpeg
6E67D640-4F8D-4494-B432-58B03E4ADD43.jpeg
147FE376-C1B7-4E03-B8FB-AAF7769AB332.jpeg

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Guido--

Most interesting and the top on stands in the first picture looks just like the top I purchased from NICAL minmus the molded vent.

Re Mark Baker's car--I have always been under the impression that the top was integral to the car--that is, that it was not removable and had in some fashion been "blended in" to the body work. Am I wrong?

Guido36

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Michael - you are correct that the hardtop was moulded to the bodywork on Mark Baker’s 100R according to the auction details from Bonhams. It was built in the late 1990s to early 2000s.

Another hardtop which bears similarity to the one originally posted is the Detatop from H.J. Lovell & GBG - also advertised as being available in aluminium such as the aluminium example in the bottm two photos…

72FE283A-C1CC-4AC5-8564-DED88022CC42.jpeg

0AE85FA6-2F32-452B-B0AD-B4EE9B14C229.jpeg

1D16A57A-3F6D-478A-BA64-EDBFE6922F79.jpeg