• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Fundraising Letter from John Trifari

LEERIVAS

Hey Gang,

I just opened up my personal e-mail and found a fundraising letter from John Trifari. It was for a non-profit GED program called JobTrain.

It had me pegged as a "fellow Austin Healey owner."

Did anybody else get one?

How was he able to get my personal info?

Anyway, it sounds like a good program.

Randy Harris

Jedi Warrior
A fine program and I commend John for his work with them.

However, I do not want my contact information from the roles of the online Healey Mail List used in this way. When I got that solicitation it felt wrong to me.

Randy

Basil

Administrator
Boss
As long as you all are talking about contact info, I'll take this opportunity to remind you of a few things WRT this forum. First, any contact info you have in your profile is visible only to members who are logged in...that means "spam-bots" that troll forums like this can't get your info. That said, anyone in the world can "read" any post you make here, so keep that in mind also.

With respect to your "profile" (Under "My Stuff"), notice there are two places for an email address. At the top of the profile page is a field for "email address and "verify email address." These two need to be the same email and is NOT seen my anyone but me. Under that is a question: "From time to time we send out emails regarding this community. Do you wish to receive these emails?" If you answer that NO then you will NEVER receive anything from me (at least not anything that gets sent from the system). I recommend you keep this set to YES because sometimes I send stuff out to the group that may be of interest. I don't SPAM people - my emails are far and few between, but I do occasionally send info of interest to the group.

Further down the profile page, there is a place for a "public" email. So, for example, you might have a Comcast email you use for your "official" admin email (only I can see) but you might have a gmail or yahoo account you want to use as your "public" email. If you do have a public email listed (optional) ONLY members who are logged on can view it when they view your profile page. Lurkers can not view member's profiles.

Just FYI - I NEVER divulge personal information not otherwise listed in your profile by YOU. If someone requests any info, I will email YOU that request and YOU can reply if you so choose.

One last thing - most people don't realize that when they post their email in a forum like this, the SPAMBOTS can harvest your email (for their spam lists). I have modified the software here so that if you post an email address directly into a message or post, it will replace the "at" symbol with a small .gif image of the at sign: @
Thus, an email address will not look like an email address:
you@youremail.com (<span style="font-weight: bold">note</span> the "at" sign in a small image). This prevents the bots from harvesting your email because they can't see the "at" character.

NOTE: This does not work if you use the "create a link to an email" icon if you are using the "full editor"
email.gif
<< If you enter an email using THIS icon in the editor, it will NOT replace the "at" sign and the email address "will" be visible to spam bots. So, if you MUST post an email (yours or anyone else's), I highly recommend you just type it into the post direcly.

Hope this helps answer any questions. More privacy info for the forum can be found at the "Privacy Statement" link at the bottom of most forum pages.

Basil

HEALEYJAG

Jedi Warrior
I also receved TWO ....which also put me on a "mailing list", which I tried to delete.

I personally did not feel this was a correct way to "solicit" funds.

Believe the list came from "THE AUSTIN HEALEY CLUB" LIST OF MEMBERS"

Will I now get solicitation from other organizations that we belong to.

As a 20 year Rotary member , our international goal is to eradicate polio, which we hope to accomplish in the next 5 years..

Would feel very awkward using taht email list to raise funds.

Pete

Editor_Reid

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
I'd like to steer the conversation on this forum back to Austin-Healeys by suggesting that objections and concerns about the solicitation email be directed to the sender of the email. Thanks.

RT
AH Forum Moderator