• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

First lookover of the '63 - Glove box door Q.

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
No key for the glove box door. I've removed the bottom screws to take off door but lock won't release from pin.

Any clues.

Working on the pics.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Pop the cardboard box out & reach up inside with a small Phillips screwdriver & undo the little e dash.screws holding the catch to th

bob67bgt

Jedi Knight
I would guess that you tried all your other cars keys. If you have time pull the lock out of the trunk and look for the key number on the plunger. You may get lucky by getting a key made for the trunk (by the number)and it may fit the glove box. With the last 67 i just got the ignition key fits the glove box. I have not checked to see if its works the trunk or doors yet. Lets see some pics! Bob

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
It's a five pin tumbler. Do as Tony says, then you can pull the lock out of the glovebox door and get a better assessment. My take would be that ya can re-pin th' tumbler to fit whatever key ya have for th' iggy.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Or, just buy all new when you're to that point of the restoration.

Or, do like I do...take the lock mechanism to the oldest locksmith in town & ask him to build you a key for it - that's never failed me.

D

Deleted member 8987

If he let's you watch, you might see him "impression" a key for you.
Amazing what they can do with a small pair of vice-grips, magnifying loupe and a file.

Or, for now, get it out, if yours is what I think it is, depress the retainer, slide the lock cylinder out, pull ALL the tumblers and bits, put them in a zip-lock, and you can use ANY key to open it!

Done that on old cars with lock assemblies that are currently manufactured of "un-obtainium" and so worn out you can'y get the tumblers to work.

Nobody knows but you!

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I take the file to the pins after juggling them to their nearest proper fit to the key I want to use. Sometimes I've left one out.. and as th' TOC says: "Nobody knows but you!"

I have a small zip-lock baggie with a collection of pins for changing the tumbler to fit the key. All my Brit cars are the same vintage and take the same key to operate. Makes life simple. I hate carrying a collection of keys. Did the same with ALL the locks in my house and th' Shed. My world is down to three keys, the heaviest thing danglin' from any of my iggy switches is the fob.

OP
vping

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Great idea doc. Now with 6 MG's I should do that. I was able to reach up on top of the glove box and push the lock over to get the door off. (I had already undided the bottom screws) Now to see what I can do about getting keys for the car. Oh the big deal about getting into the glove box? Jackpot to follow.

So far so good. Mostly original car. The only real issues I see (besides the typical rust) is the wiring. Allison ignition with all sorts of relays and jammies all over. Wiring cut into, non stock horns, period reverse lights installed EWWWWW - drilled into the rear panel!!!!!!!!!!!, fog lights in the front grille (a few slats missing). The ignition is temporarily rigged and hanging with a Land rover cyl. just to get it started. I've got no key's for the doors, trunk or glovebox. I had a new cyl and switch on order but it did not show up with keys for some reason. Hello!!!! MOSS?

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Only place on an MG that I'm ever interested in a key working - besides the ignition - is the trunk...it's my 'glove box'....any other thing that's locked will cost a bunch if somebody wants to get in - & in that old car, nothing except the trunk is secure!

You can get a factory duplicate of that old woven wiring harness.

OP
vping

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
I agree with the key part. I really don't keep much in my trunks either for runs and such. Only when I go long distance do I see a need to lock the trunk. Once reason I don't put fancy stereos in either. Cost a lot more to replace a $25 stereo than a window or top.

I'm contemplating the harness now. I might just rip out the buggered up parts, solder, heat shrink and tape. When I do the whole car (if that ever happens) I'll get a new harness.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
We use the trunk as a place for wife to put her purse when we're dinging around in old shops, etc.

OP
vping

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Problem solved. If you check under the seat, you might find some keys!

testaj

vping said:
I've got no key's for the doors, trunk or glovebox. I had a new cyl and switch on order but it did not show up with keys for some reason. Hello!!!! MOSS?

The old ignition switch key works the glovebox door.

Country flag
tony barnhill said:
We use the trunk as a place for wife to put her when we're dinging around in old shops, etc.

This is how this sentence reads if you scan it too quickly the first time!! LOL

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Silverghost said:
tony barnhill said:
We use the trunk as a place for wife to put her when we're dinging around in old shops, etc.

This is how this sentence reads if you scan it too quickly the first time!! LOL
Peter, you dawg! hehehehe