• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Etype Chrome Strip Windshield Gasket

why

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I brought my '67 Etype for repaint with all new rubber and some chrome bought by me. Catastrophe during reassembly so took car home and doing myself. Managed to get the chrome strip (XKs Unlimited) into the rubber gasket under the windshield but for about 12" either side of center it is barely in the groove, meaning the upper and lower lips of the rubber just barely holding it in, any suggestions to get it to seat better. By the way, anyone in Laguna Beach area/orange county, CA thinking of having their car painted, I can recommend where not to go.
Tazio Nuvolari

jessebogan

Jedi Knight
Oh dear, I cannot imagine fitting a repro part like that. Do you have the original strip? Compare the curvature of both parts. Otherwise, go to a glass shop and buy a couple of the teflon sticks they use to fit glass with. I think maybe Moss motors makes a repro of the original fitting tool. It is probably easier with the teflon sticks tho.... Try taping the chrome down, with blue masking tape. Run it around the A pillar, not on fresh paint if possible. Lube the rubber with an emulsion of soapy water, and just inch anong fitting it to the groove. Prepare your favourite swear words, they may come in handy. Last, if/when you get frustrated, just walk away. Once bent it is almost impossible to get it to fit.

PhilW

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
The repro chrome strips are made like the originals, so your problem is with the rubber. (There's usually only one maker of any repro part and I found SNG Barratt usually gives the best price. I'm not the owner of the company, just a satisfied customer.) The problem is usually the rubber. The Jag glass gaskets that hold chrome have always had their chrome holding lips too far apart, so they don't hold the chrome properly. Everything Jesse said should be followed. I just prefer Windex as a lubricant-wish I owned that company!

One thing I do is try to re-use the original center locking strip rubber. It's a little smaller than the new one, so the gasket isn't pushed apart as much and the lips are closer together. Even trimming it smaller is an option. Then, when you're ready to give up, use a high density rubber to metal adhesive under the whole length. (The originals used it a lot of times.)

Phil.