• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

epoxy primer-added another part to it

zimasprite

Jedi Hopeful
hey all,

Has anyone used NAPA crossfire CP400 epoxy primer? I'm considering using it since it's close by and readily available. The other place sort of near has Akzo Nobel Utech E380 primer.

just to add one more question..these are pretty small cars. How much paint will I need to cover it(outside body, bonnet top and bottom, boot outside...not engine bay, inside boot or interior)? Is a quart mixed 1:1(so you get 2 quarts) ok?

Any help would be great....

Thanks - Drew

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Re: epoxy primer

I don't know the brand but my body man uses a white epoxy primer....great stuff!

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag

I am absolutely sold on PPG's epoxy. Not cheap but wonderful stuff to work with. I have part cans of DP40 (gray/green) DP48 (white) and DP90 (black). All use DP401 catalyst, mixed 50/50. The old price tags on my cans show about $90/gallon of mixed fluid and there is insignificant shrinkage.

I used some Dupont expoxy primer on a race car restoration I did, I used it on the engine bay cokpit and underbody, but used urathane primer on the actually body, it goes on thicker than the expoxy, covers better, the expoxy primer is hard to to block sand and doesn't cover as well, actually according to the pro restro guys, they only use expoxy as a first primering against bare metal and then follow up with the urathane primer for better finish.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag

I've nothing but good results from epoxy primer. Valspar VP-50 here. But any of the "name" ones should be great. This is a high solids mix, not too bad to block down. It'll go on the Elan next.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

Oh you don't sand the epoxy primer.

You paint epoxy.

Do the body work at that point useing what ever and regular hi build primer. A final all over coat of Hi build then color. Only block the hi build and your new work, the epoxy is to protect the steel everywhere.

Grantura_MKI

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag

You should never sand epoxy primer. Epoxy primer is used as a sealer over body filler and high build primers. It also helps the top coat look more brilliant, or colour fast. It maybe sprayed anywhere, and top coating maybe applied right on top, with out sanding, usually with in 30 minutes.
Cheers, David.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag

Here's th' rub: I did this all outdoors. The first two coats of epoxy were blocked, the third sealed all. Bodywork and filler (All-Metal) then a final epoxy primer coat. HAD to block it wet with #600 or there'd been LUMPS. Urethane single-stage top coat, shot at high (50#) pressure with a gravity feed gun. It's smooth as glass for the most part. Been the better part of two years now and nothing has "moved".

Grantura_MKI

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag

You should make yourself a spray booth like mine. Go to Lowes or ? and pick up afew rools of clear plastic...not the thin crap and afew 1"x3" timbers, 2 box fans and 2 furnace filters. Staple the top first, then roll the sides in the timber and screw it to the top. At the bottom, roll afew more timbers in to prevent any leaks. Make a frame out of another timber that is the same size as your filters. Staple your filters to the frame and cut a hole in one end of the short side and staple to the clear. Do the same on the opposite end. Place the box fan in the frame, one fan pulling and one fan pushing. This can be built for under $100, and when not in use, simply roll the sides up to the ceiling, timbers and all. Use string to tie up. AH, my bloody fingers are sore!
Cheers, David.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag

Mehheh! Yeah, David, don't think I ain't consider'd it! After the "lovebug invasion" (some I left "imbedded" in non-visible areas as a reminder) and some errant leaves, I was even more determined that was a good solution... That's how I'd done the garages we've used in past. Filtered both "in" and "out". I overcame the problems by doing a panel at a time. All good.

The Elan will be top coated in a booth: Friends a block away 'volunteer'd' theirs but I didn't want to 'take advantage' with the B...

Grantura_MKI

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag

Good move! Do not use up your freebee's. I like my system, as it also works out well for a "clean room" when prepairing for shows. I have sprayed up to 4 vehicles with this set-up before needing to change out the plastic. Always switched out the furnace filters after each vehicle. Doc, if you spray single stage PPG Concept, the panels would be dry to the touch before you finished the whole lot...if the outside heat was 80+.
Cheers, David.

OP
Z

zimasprite

Jedi Hopeful

How much epoxy primer does it take to shoot the exterior of one of these cars? I wouldn't imagine too much. Quart? Gallon? assuming they mix at 1:1. A quart would end up being 2 sprayable quarts.

Thanks

Darwin

Jedi Knight
Bronze
Country flag

I put on a couple of heavy coats of epoxy(actully 4 thinner coats) inside and out as well as the frame and various smaller bits and only used about 2 quarts. I used the Autobody Master epoxy sold by AutoValue and it worked great. I wait until stuff like that is on sale and I got this stuff for about $20 a quart. It mixed at 4:1:1 Primer:reducer:catilyst. The hardner is the expensive part.

This stuff is tough as nails and very easy to spray.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag

Grantura_MKI said:
Good move! Do not use up your freebee's. I like my system, as it also works out well for a "clean room" when prepairing for shows. I have sprayed up to 4 vehicles with this set-up before needing to change out the plastic. Always switched out the furnace filters after each vehicle. Doc, if you spray single stage PPG Concept, the panels would be dry to the touch before you finished the whole lot...if the outside heat was 80+.
Cheers, David.

The stuff I used (Valspar) is the same way. The cure times are QUICK due to ambient temp here. Had to up the head pressures to get good result (50psi at the gun): Stuff would be curing before it'd flow so I was getting orange peel and anger at lower pressure. Finer spray and it looks great right outta the gun. Lays down instantly and flashes off to a high, smooth gloss. I love th' stuff now.

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag

Hey David, I saw you mentioned PPG Concept. How does it shoot compared to Deltron. Its been a few years since I painted and I have a couple to do as soon as I can get a place. Last I heard Deltron is no longer available and I have never shot Concept. I would like to stay with single stage too if possible.

Bayless

regularman

Yoda
Country flag

Darwin said:
I put on a couple of heavy coats of epoxy(actully 4 thinner coats) inside and out as well as the frame and various smaller bits and only used about 2 quarts. I used the Autobody Master epoxy sold by AutoValue and it worked great. I wait until stuff like that is on sale and I got this stuff for about $20 a quart. It mixed at 4:1:1 Primer:reducer:catilyst. The hardner is the expensive part.

This stuff is tough as nails and very easy to spray.
When you say you used two quarts. Is that 2 quarts of primer or two quarts of primer reducer 50:50mix ?

OP
Z

zimasprite

Jedi Hopeful

Hey Darwin,

Quick question. How does that epoxy primer you used sand? Does it fill at all? There is a shop a few miles from my house that sells it.

Thanks - Drew

Darwin

Jedi Knight
Bronze
Country flag

Drew,

I haven't tried to sand much of it yet as it needs to be left unsanded to provide rust protection. On a couple of spots I sanded and re coated to get rid of some sags and runs. That stuff is tuff. It sands well with 80 and smoothes fairly well with 240.

Hopefull I am going to be able to start working the body sometime in early May. I will post more then.

This stuff doesn't really fill anything as it wants to run if it gets too thick. Autobody Master has a high build primer called Fast Prime that was suggested to me. All of this stuff is part of a package of products suggested by my paint guy for use with PPG's Onmi or Concept Urethane 1 or 2 part paints. MUCH cheaper to use than PPG epoxy as it uses 1/2 the hardner.

Darwin

Jedi Knight
Bronze
Country flag

Kim,
The 2 quarts of un mixed primer. I reduces per Autobody Masters direction of 4:1:1. Good coverage but wanted to run if you went too slow.

OP
Z

zimasprite

Jedi Hopeful

I actually went a little backwards and did body work/filler work before putting on the epoxy primer. I'm considering shooting the epoxy primer and going straight to single stage. If I can skip the high build step, it'd save me some money and some time. Not sure if it would work that well, but a body guy here said he's don'e it and it works fine assuming your body work is decent.