• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

engine securing points to engine stand???

timbn2

Jedi Hopeful
I only have 4 mounting point on my engine stand and the bolt holes on the tranny mounting plate look a little small. Will the plate hold the weight of the motor with only the 4 securing points?

Lin

Jedi Knight
Gold
Country flag
Mine did just fine. image attached. I always felt uncomfortable, so I put a 2 x 4 upright between the mount frame and the oil pan. In cleaning/rebuilding process I rotated the motor several times with no ill effects.

Lin
1960 BT7 in restoration
1959 Bugeye

Attachments

• 243832-Motoronstand.jpg
    243832-Motoronstand.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 482

Cutlass

Jedi Warrior
It seems to hold, but is scary. I welded tabs on either end of two one inch square steel tubes, and ran them vertically between the front of the stand and the front oil pan bolts. The tabs are bolted to the stand and the block. This of course was after the work was completed on the bottom end. I have also seen a rig made that bolts the engine to the stand via the engine mount holes on the side of the engine. This puts the center of gravity of the engine closer to the vertical component of the stand, and allows the engine to be rotated throughout the process.

vette

Darth Vader
Country flag
I agree with all of you. I never wanted to put all that stress on the bolt holes of the backing plate. So I always used a 2x4 to prop the front of the engine as well. When I rotated it, I did so carefully holding some of the weight myself then reproped the front in any manner I could. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
It seems to hold, but is scary. I welded tabs on either end of two one inch square steel tubes, and ran them vertically between the front of the stand and the front oil pan bolts. The tabs are bolted to the stand and the block. This of course was after the work was completed on the bottom end. I have also seen a rig made that bolts the engine to the stand via the engine mount holes on the side of the engine. This puts the center of gravity of the engine closer to the vertical component of the stand, and allows the engine to be rotated throughout the process.

[/ QUOTE ]
That's the best way I've seen it done too. Easy enough to rig up with a little imagination.

KevinR

This idea came from another list and worked very well. it uses the motor mount to secure the block to the stand. easy to rotate. not front heavy. can take the crank out. safe.

I gave the mount I made to another list member as I was done with it. hope this helps.
Kevin R
1959 BN7

Attachments

• 243998-DSCN2120.JPG
    243998-DSCN2120.JPG
    52.6 KB · Views: 412

ronzet

Jedi Knight
timbn2,
Rather than use my engine stand, I opted to set the engine on a work table once the internals and head were installed. I layed it on its side, installed the lower components; oil pump, timing gears and tensioner, pan, etc. Once this was done I set up two jackstands on the shop floor, spaced on either side of the block even with the installed motor mounts and a couple of 2bys under the rear engine plate. I then set the engine there to continue the assembly.

I know that the engine stand would probably have been fine... I guess I just wimped out... Mounted on the jack stands did let me intall the flywheel, clutch and transmission quite easily....

A word of caution... Make sure that the work table is extremely robust and can take the weight of the engine without collapsing...

Just food for thought...

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

KevinR

"That's useful. What thickness steel did you use for the engine plates?"

I honestly dont remember what the wall thickness was. I would guess it was 3/16 thick. I made it out of MOH (material on hand) and was pleased with the durability of the sqaure tube I used. it was more than adequate with the head installed.

Kevin R

Csarneson

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
FYI I was able to come up with a side mount solution today. I'm just a rookie at building engines so I suspect I was over-thinking it. Once I got serious it wasn't bad and the motor turns easily.

Healey Nut

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
The regular engine stands that you can spin the motor around to work on have a design weight limit . Im sure if you read the box it came in it would tell you the max weight you can hang on them . Now would I hang a 12cyl jag motor on one ???
Probably not but a 6cyl Healey no problem . Having said that I did use a bottle jack and block of wood on the nose of the block etc when it was sitting just to relieve the stress on the hanger bolts etc . . When I built my engine I used a regular engine stand as others have pictured , I built the whole engine minus the head, once the lower section was painted I transferred it to a small engine dolly which has four vertical posts which can be moved to accomodate different widths of engines . The engine sat on the sump to block lip and I completed the assembly cylinder head etc . Gearbox was next and the whole kit n kaboodle was dropped into place .

Healey Nut

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I have a hoist in the garage so I used a piece of alluminium beam to stradle the runways . Then I used a chain hoist off the beam and using a combination of hoist lift and chain hoist lift raised the whole assembly up as high as possible . Then I pushed the car under the hoist and lowered the engine and gearbox in at an angle . Then with a cumalong around the tail of the gearbox up to the hoist so I could adjust the angle I lowered the hoist and raised the cumalong to level out the engine as things got lowered slowly into place . Moving the car back and forth as well to make sure everything went smoothly .
I had my helper (aka her ladyship) sit it the car and guide the tail of the gearbox as things were carefully lowered into place .
I have a plate which bolts to the head instead of the rocker shaft and it has an eyebolt threaded into it in the middle for a lift point .
tried to upload a pic but something doesnt seem to want to work today .

Healey Nut

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Try again for pics.........success I'm a techno whiz to:welcoming::eagerness::excitement:

Attachments

• IMG_1149.jpg
    IMG_1149.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 204

Barryp

Country flag
Tim,
I too was concerned about hanging the engine from the back, plus you can't get the flywheel and clutch on it. I did a quick and dirty side mount using three of the engine LS motor mt holes. Not perfectly centered but close enough to spin pretty freely. Die grinder modifcation to one of the bottom slots was needed, and a long 3/8" stud (long MGB head stud works good) passing through the center tube with a plate on the end. I think I've attached photos. I keep thinking I will put a little more effort into centering it but this pretty good.

Barry

Attachments

• IMG_2882.jpg
    IMG_2882.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 211
  • IMG_2883.jpg
    IMG_2883.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 167
  • IMG_2884.jpg
    IMG_2884.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 232