• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Dash Lights Failure. A first I know...

veale001

Greetings all!

I have a 73 TR6 that is my favorite car Ive ever owned and I treat her like my first born. I was putting in a new speedo and there was a pop inside the dash!? Of course I should have unplugged the battery but since I wasn't really fooling around too much I figured I could knock it out during Playoff commercials :wall: Didn't work out. Long story short I thought maybe a fuse, but they all seem to be fine. The weirdest part is that my turn signal light still comes on but the dash lamps don't turn on when I turn the head lights on? I know this is all par for the British car course but I just wanted to see if anyone had a simple remedy or line of action I could take?

Any help would be greatly appreciated,
Warren

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
According to the wiring diagram from Advance Auto Wire, the switch feeds a fuse which then goes to the tail lights, rear markers, license plate lamp, front parking and marker lights. Then it feeds the dash lights after going through the dimmer switch.

As far as the fuse goes, "seems fine" is not good enough. Check it with an ohmeter or turn on the headlight switch and check the voltage on both sides. BTW, it's the fuse fed by the red/geen wire on one side and two red wires on the other. See the wiring diagram I linked to.

If the fuse does turn out to be good, check to see if the tail and marker lights are working. If they are, then the problem might lie in the dimmer switch or the connection going to the dimmer switch. Dimmer switches are a source of problems in the TR6.

My guess is that the fuse blew and you don't have tail lights either.

Edit: BTW, directionals are on a different circuit.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I agree entirely, except I'd check the tail lights first (easier than trying to meter the fuse). If they are working, the problem has to be between the fuse and the dash lights, which means most likely the dimmer control. They are easily fried and can make a popping noise when it happens.

OP
veale001

veale001

Thanks for the feedback fellas!

It was the fuse. But the question that I didn't articulate properly was the turn light (in the dash) works but the dash lamps do not? Would it still be the dimmer switch?

Thanks again,
Warren

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
The dimmer switch only controls the dash lights that come on with the headlight switch; gauge illumination and maybe one or two others on the console. It is not involved in the turn signal lamps, high beam indicator and various other warning lamps. So it might have been the problem (if the tail lights still worked).

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
veale001 said:
Thanks for the feedback fellas!

It was the fuse. But the question that I didn't articulate properly was the turn light (in the dash) works but the dash lamps do not? Would it still be the dimmer switch?

Thanks again,
Warren

The turn light in the dash is part of the directional circuit. That has NOTHING to to with the other dash illumination lights. Same goes for the high beam indicator and the "no charge" light.

OP
veale001

veale001

I appreciate the help guys. The website with the disassembled switch was great help. This place is best forum Ive come across, I owe you a round.

Cheers
W

OP
veale001

veale001

Tripel is such a good style. Doesn't take many...
grin.gif
I brew my own for [censored] and giggles and my Tripel takes at least 6 months to ferment properly. Corsendonk, a brown ale, is one of my favorites. A business partner of mine is from the town it is brewed; Turnhout, Belgium. Im kind of addicted to them now.

Hope yall are all having a good Memorial Day
W

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Welcome to th' forum, Warren!

Randall and Art are okay guys... but ya gotta watch that "Brosky" fella... :jester: :devilgrin:

mehheh. :smirk:

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I'd get rid of that rheostat and put a picture over it.