• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

General TR Colors and originality

mctriumph

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Spring of 69 I painted my Tr3. My first paint job. I was just glad to have it one color that wasn't rust !
Since then with several hundred re-sprays ,and seeing cars at shows,I just smile when asked about "original formulas"
Who in their right mind would give a fig to know the formula for "chrysanthemum" The factory was ,IMHO quite
mad with some really weird colors. I myself have never seen this color on a car and likely nobody has. It is said that
all these cars were re-sprayed in order to be sold when new. I have seen it on the inside of a boot lid once purchased
at a swapmeet. Piggott was right it was awful.
I have over time come to the conclusion the color is subjective and when picking a color stay close to OE if you must,
but dont be a slave to it. Pick a color that will please YOUR eye.
I once sprayed my Tr3b in Royal Navy Blue. Triumph never used this color, but it was stunning. People asked what the formula was.
My 59 is done in a dark maroon not too far off "dark Carmine" . Not OE but just what I wanted.
Final word , when in doubt, have your painter spray a test card, go out in the sun and try to picture it on the car.
Mad dog

GilsTR

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I go along with....Your car....Your money....Your choice.
That said...very often these cars will be sold one day.
At that time the color a car is painted will effect the number of potential buyers...as well as the selling price.
just my opinion...
Gil. NoCal

Hamish Racing

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I’m with mr Ford on this one :D

it started out quite a nice car. Then I went racing :eek:

oh yeah it started off white !!

Attachments

• D00B0DC1-B8A4-4342-820B-3BE0519E0FDF.jpeg
    D00B0DC1-B8A4-4342-820B-3BE0519E0FDF.jpeg
    176.4 KB · Views: 31
  • C15FD608-7E87-4B93-85F7-91FC68969F01.jpeg
    C15FD608-7E87-4B93-85F7-91FC68969F01.jpeg
    173.6 KB · Views: 33
  • 6D749952-18D4-41A6-B748-8F7972D499F4.jpeg
    6D749952-18D4-41A6-B748-8F7972D499F4.jpeg
    165.9 KB · Views: 33

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Very nice. Suits the the TR3.
There are some colours that really do not work on older cars. I was at a show a couple of years ago and there was an AH 3000 with the modern pearlescent white and metallic blue. Very nicely painted but the colour looked all wrong to my eye.

David

luke44

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Agree. A modern color doesn’t complement a vintage car esp pearlescent or metallics.

Here’s another original color that to me works very well on the TR3.

IMG_2421.jpeg

bammons

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
If anyone buys (restores) this cars for appreciation then their thinking is not in the right place. Why do most of us sane people have these? To drive and enjoy. The idea that you should not paint a car you own and drive what you want for fear of having to sell it and taking a loss is a myth. Watch BAT and see that well done cars that are extremely well done and original do bring premium prices but so do other well done cars (ie: for example a 5-speed). My car is Wimbledon White (Ford Shelby) with a midnight blue interior and TR6 seats and a 5-speed and more. This is a silly argument that needs to go away. Bruce

Attachments

• IMG_3475[1].HEIC
    3 MB · Views: 74

luke44

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Gammons you can paint your car pink with green polka dots, it won’t bother me one bit. I was just expressing my opinion of a couple of rare original colors I happen to personally like. And I agreed in my post with DavidApp on his opinion on other colors.

Chill our dude, your car, your choice.

Jerry

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
This was an original color on a Mercedes, ( not sold in the USA). Close enough. The car gets more attention than any of the other old cars that I have owned. And it is fun to drive also!
1691588883743.jpeg

bammons

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Luke - My aren't we a little sensitive? Maybe you should read my post again as I did not attack your car. You can paint your car purple and gold for all I care. I was referring to the statement above yours by Gil that says "these cars have to be sold some day". Everybody has a opinion, sorry (not really) that mine doesn't match yours's. Try to have a nice day. Bruce

luke44

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
My apologies. I misread your posting as being upset at me about my pearlescent comment in post #6. I thought you were being overly sensitive. I've now figured out your name is Bruce, same as mine, so you were simply signing off your post with your name, not directing the posting at me!

GilsTR

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
It’s helpful if you read a posting.... and if you are going to refer to other members posting state it correctly.
My posting above just said...”very often these cars will be sold”
It did not say “Have to be sold”.
After 60 years with TR3 relationships.... and the last 10 years with a very close relationship with a long established
European Classic Auto company....just our experience....color definitely is reflected in a car’s value...along with
many other items IF and WHEN a car gets sold.
For the vast majority of owners...myself included... TR’s are made to drive and enjoy.

Gil. NoCal

Sarastro

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
Guys, I have to say that I love your color choices. I think they are exquisite, especially since, without seeing them, I never would have imagined that the apple green or the light orange color would have worked as well as they do.

I chose Eastwood's Euro Racing Green for my TR4A. I don't think it's a very "original" shade, although no one seems able to agree what the color really was, but I think it is brighter and deeper than what I remember from the 60s. I'm more than happy with it.

I've always felt that taste was far more important than originality in restoring these cars.

Country flag
While I tend to go back original color on most every car I restore, I total agree with “ your car, paint it whatever color pleases you.

mastaphixa

Jedi Trainee
Bronze
Country flag
I love Apple Green and keep looking for a "modern" paint code for it as all the old paint codes are dead ends. If anyone has recently sprayed their car with a color akin to the original apple green I'd be VERY interested in the manufacturer and paint formulation.

OP
mctriumph

mctriumph

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
When I get time I will post the best modern equivalent I have in my old shop files just in case.....I recall this as a 57
only color that did not sell too well and is something you rarely see, but fun none the less.
Mad dog

OP
mctriumph

mctriumph

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
The Akzo-Nobel map # according to my notes is, 445 D4 for apple green. As previously said there are NO exact matches
for a paint that is no longer made anywhere.Just a best approximation.If someone has a good paint sample(unfaded),
perhaps it could be scanned.......
Mad dog

groupdeville

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
As silly as it sounds, about 30 years ago a good friend was repainting his car and did his best to chase-down Apple Green (iirc, it was from an original sample), and what he came up with (courtesy of a DuPont paint supplier) was a near-perfect match for the Packard green engine colour used from 1915-1947, which can still be purchased. If nothing else, it may make a good starting point for a Triumph restorer today.

The engine enamel is available here:

"Ask the Man who Owns One"!