• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Cockpit heat discovery

sjuengst

Notwithstanding the 3000's reputation for heat in the cockpit, I thought mine was unusually bad. Driving two miles would result in a uncomfortably hot cockpit. It felt like hot air was blowing directly on my legs! Well, I finally found some time to poke around under the hood and discovered that the fresh air hose had disintegrated directly over the exhaust manifold. It was sucking the hot air right off the manifold and blowing it straight onto me! That explains it. :yesnod:

A new hose is scheduled to arrive today, so I hope my next drive is more comfortable. :driving:

stu

PS: I also have some EZ-Cool insulation to install, but that'll be a rainy-weekend project sometime in the future.

Johnny

Darth Vader
Country flag
Well Stu, looks like you discovered your problem. Another common source of heat in AH's is from around the transmission tunnel to firewall seal. If not aligned properly it'll melt your socks.

richberman

Jedi Warrior
Johnny said:
Well Stu, looks like you discovered your problem. Another common source of heat in AH's is from around the transmission tunnel to firewall seal. If not aligned properly it'll melt your socks.
Talking about the transmission seal, I have one where the rubber is separating from the metal frame. What's the best way to reconnect it?
rich

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Talking about the transmission seal, I have one where the rubber is separating from the metal frame. What's the best way to reconnect it?
rich

Contact cement-----Keoke

Jerry

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
Also check the door seal. there is a force of air that comes through there if the seal is not good.

Jerry
BN4
BJ8

Rob Glasgow

Jedi Knight
Country flag
A great way to check the entry points for heat is to remove the carpets from the driver and passenger floor and the carpet on the transmission tunnel. Then take a drive. You will be able to feel the hot air coming in through any holes or gaps. An assistant would be helpful.

When I did this several years ago, I was amazed at how much hot air came through a small gap between the transmission cover and the floor boards. A couple of small cubes of foam insulation stuffed in these gaps made all the difference.

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
sjuengst said:
Notwithstanding the 3000's reputation for heat in the cockpit, I thought mine was unusually bad. Driving two miles would result in a uncomfortably hot cockpit. It felt like hot air was blowing directly on my legs! Well, I finally found some time to poke around under the hood and discovered that the fresh air hose had disintegrated directly over the exhaust manifold. It was sucking the hot air right off the manifold and blowing it straight onto me! That explains it. :yesnod:

A new hose is scheduled to arrive today, so I hope my next drive is more comfortable. :driving: A long, long time ago when original "foil" lined hoses were nowhere to be found we installed dryer vent hose. Dryer vent hose was paper thin white plastic crap woven with wire. We went from bad to worse and were none the wiser for doing so.
Patrick

stu

PS: I also have some EZ-Cool insulation to install, but that'll be a rainy-weekend project sometime in the future.

Galen

I used a lazer temp gun with digital readout to take temp readings after my car was good and warm. With bare metal I read 132 degrees at the foot well, drivers side. I installed the insulating product that Patrick refers to above and it reduced the heat by 15 degrees. That product also did wonders for reducing engine and road sound as well.

Galen 62 tri carb