• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Cloth Outter covering for Harness

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Has anyone come across a vendor for buying just the outter cloth for wiring Hareness'? My wires are fine and only a little of the cloth is missing so I want to just replace the outer cover.

mk2sprite

Jedi Hopeful
Vince
I have not seen anyone selling the covers but if it's only missing small areas a few guys are selling this black cloth tape, it's not as sticky as regular electrical tape but sticks to itself very good. i have used it to patch various cloth harnesses and it does a nice job.
Mike

OP
vping

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Just feeling out some idea's. I've seen similar "looking" fabric for climbing ropes and was wondering if there was a manufacturer of the just the covering.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I'm following this thread - my '63 Midget's harness is in great condition except its cloth outer covering is in tatters.

OP
vping

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
"following this thread" that's a good one /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

zblu

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Had my entire harness done in the cloth bumble bee pattern, guy over here bought a machine over from england, its called an octopus, kind of a spinning jenny, with I think 16 bobbins available for different patterns, think the number of wires contained in each section defines the diameter, no joins, just seems to be one piece even with all the offshoots for wiring heading to different locations, kind of like knitting but done mechanically!

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Don't know if it will help Vince, but here's another avenue to pursue. Their in Bally, Pa. They do sell sleeving, but only in vinyl I think. They are a great source for electrical components. They sell a bullet connector tool that I'm ordering.
https://www.britishwiring.com/
British Wiring - harnesses for classic cars and motorcycles

Bruce74B

Jedi Knight
I think I just saw something in one of those LBC newsletters I get...let me look some later. Are you just looking for a cloth wrapping or will plastic do?

lawguy

Jedi Knight
I am following this too- not for an MG, but because I need to cover the cables of my replica pre-WWI motorized bicycle. I could use cloth tape, but I do not want black. If someone knows where there are other colors, please share. Thanks.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
lawguy said:
I am following this too- not for an MG, but because I need to cover the cables of my replica pre-WWI motorized bicycle. I could use cloth tape, but I do not want black. If someone knows where there are other colors, please share. Thanks.

Photos, Photos, Photos of the bike ???????? Please.
happy0148.gif

lawguy

Jedi Knight
Hard for me to resist a direct request!

Since these pictues, I have made new handlebars. Also, note that this is the mock up stage- when it is done, it will be tan with dark red stiping. I also have all white tires hanging on the wall. The headlight is an old railroad light and the speedometer is built into the top of it. I will be replacing the gas tank with something that is more angular and blends better- less '50's, more teens.

Also, I will be having custom wheels made with 10ga spokes and drum brakes front and rear...it does 40mph, coaster brake ain't going to cut it.

Attachments

• 9704.jpg
    9704.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 320
  • 9705.jpg
    9705.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 64

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
That is really nice! Reminds me of an old Wizzer motor bike I had when I was a kid. I think it was made from a Schwinn bike. I sure wish I still had it today. Your photos bring back some nice memories. Used to take my girl friend for a ride on the cross bar. Hmmm, I can still smell her perfume like it was yesterday.
rolleye0012.gif