• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Chinese plant rolls out first MG

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
"Only Time Will Tell"... to quote a semi-popular singer/songwriter.

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
well... at least they had some of the classics there to show some sort of tie to heritage...

and the two cars produced are $23,300 - $51,700? I hope it's the MG7 that's $50K... I certainly can't see the MG-TF being that much.

Steve_S

Yoda
They're certainly pushing the British thing. I think it's a bit much personally. They should use an identity of their own, not try to pretend that the cars share anything with MG of the past. It's a Chinese car, they are proud of the Chinese automobile industry, so show it at least a little.

clyderedmond

They can push it all they want...in China. As far as the UK produced TF's, they are British designed, engineered and assembled so I vote to say they are a part of the heritage. In future if British engineering/design are employed for newer models, I say OK. If not.........My 2cents.

Bruce Bowker

Obi Wan
"The MG plant in Nanjing is capable of producing 200,000 cars, 250,000 engines and 100,000 gearboxes annually."

Doesn't that seem a bit strange. What would one do with up to 150,000 extra engines, not that they would make that many. But it seems an odd ratio.

Bruce

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
WOW Steve, I could drive one of them down the street and nobody would know what I be in. I bet I could also pawn it off as a "Datsun" product. De-javu---Keoke-- /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

19_again

Jedi Warrior
British heritage? Lets wait and see how the electrical system works, that should be the benchmark for British heritage, no?

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
A note on the Chinese MG being made in Ardmore, OK; As of yet, no purchase of property has been made there by the Chinese. If this is not rectified, there will be no predicted 2008 MGs coming out of Oklahoma. A plant can not be built over night. I have property holdings in Oklahoma and try to keep up on what's happening there. I'm hoping it does happen and a plant is built there just for the purpose of supplying more jobs to the people of that area.

Rick_Stevens

Jedi Trainee
Silver
Country flag
According to a MG spokesman in a piece broadcast this morning on NPR, all plans to build a plant in OK are off. He indicated they are still considering the possibility of a US plant, but that OK is off the table.

R.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Rick_Stevens said:
According to a MG spokesman in a piece broadcast this morning on NPR, all plans to build a plant in OK are off. He indicated they are still considering the possibility of a US plant, but that OK is off the table.

R.

------- :Whew!! Thank goodness for that.---Keoke- /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
19_again said:
British heritage? Lets wait and see how the electrical system works, that should be the benchmark for British heritage, no?

-----------------------Yep Ed, That ought to cinch it!!---Keoke- /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Last night received information from Oklahoma that the Oklahoma plant for the manufacturing MGs is over at this time. Why would anyone want to be glorious over this, when so many people had their hopes up that job openings were going to come to there area. Some of us more fortunate should realize that there are a lot of hard working people out there who are just scraping by. Some of them aren't even making it that far. The MG plant in Ardmore OK would have put a lot of people to work thus giving a lot of them something to look forward to. Their dignity! I hope I miss read a former post and that NO ONE is elated that this plant is not going to be built. The only shame about this whole thing, is the Chinese giving these people hope and then smacking them in the face. Typical!!!!

toysrrus

Yoda
/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/mad.gif Hi Paul & Anyone Else Concerned??

I`ve been In Industrial Outside Sales virtually All My Life: I`ve Seen Plants Like "Pratt & Whitney Aircraft"; "Bethlehem Stl" Just too Name a couple of Co.`s that Have Gone out of Bus. & or Moved thier Mfg. to "Poland"; Czech Republic"; "Southeast Asia" (Vietnam); "Mexico" etc etc: The Only Country that is "NOT MFG." anything is the USA!! The Pres. says the Economy is just fine! Would He care to let us Know exactly Where & What Products & or Service is Booming in the US cause I need to move there to get a Job!!!!!!!

Not a Happy Camper;

Russ
PS: Yesterday I read in a Car Magazine that the MG Plant has been approved for "F/N China"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
DrEntropy said:
"Only Time Will Tell"... to quote a semi-popular singer/songwriter.

Ironic that you quote Asia isn't it.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
somewhat a double entendre, fellas... Mr. Buffett did one of the same title.

/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/devilgrin.gif

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Hi Paul, I was just kidding a bit. However, we have 47 more lower states for them to choose from and a labor force they can not match. If the MG thing gets off the ground and china becomes an exporter [they can only survive on internal sales for so long] then just like japan and Germany they will come to the US and build cars. About the reversal of locating plans. What did Ford do to Browns Lane?---Keoke