• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Midget, Rolls, etc

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
Went to south-central PA (Wayneboro) this weekend to visit ralatives.
Going down on Rt 81, we saw a real nice, bright-yellow Karmann-Ghia (on a trailer) heading north (maybe coming back from Carlisle).
On the way back we saw a Royale Sports racer being towed on an open trailer heading south. Also, two enclosed Skip Barber trailers followed closely by a Bilstein transporter and several enclosed trailers with some version of "motorsports" on the side. We surmised they were coming from an event at NJMP (although the Skippy trailers should have been headed north to Lime Rock....but who knows?).
While heading north, we got passed by a Spec-Miata on an open trailer (probably returning from a Summit Point event). Also saw this stuff:

1500 Midget
midget-waynesboro-2011-.jpg

midget-waynesboro-2011.jpg

Rolls-Royce at Select Auto in Wayneboro
rr-select-auto.jpg

Jeepster at Select Auto in Wayneboro
jeepster-select-auto.jpg

Caddy at Select Auto in Wayneboro
caddy-select-auto.jpg

VW shop in Wayneboro
vw-waynesboro-2011.jpg

vws-waynesboro-2011.jpg

vw-bus-waynesboro-2011.jpg

D

Deleted member 8987

That Jeepster.....can't recall if the "Deluxe" stainless grille applique was also available in 48.....but my Model 6-63 wagon has it. In the wagon's anyway, usually the 148 Cu In inline "6" could get the Deluxe version and that stainless.....cannot recall ever seeing a 134 Cu In "4" having it. "Flat Fender" units......some history I read was that there were no 1949 or early 1950 Jeepsters or Wagons built. They were all leftover 1947 and 1948 production. The 1950 model release was same old flat-fendered units until they ran out, then the Hurricane 226 Cu In "6" with peaked fenders, longer bonnet, and grille replaced them all.

DART

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
I had a '49, there was no chrome up front that I remember. But, that was in '57 and I remember the side curtains more than the chrome.

Nice sightings, Nial. I'm in Portland, OR at the moment and the old VW's seem everywhere. Saw a small older SAAB partly under a tarp today, had a fastback with a "V" in the middle. Don't know my SAABs well enough to know what it is. Also a 1937 Dodge Brothers 2-door front seat only coupe parked at the end of the street our daughter lives on.

D

Deleted member 8987

One thing you learn right off on one of them Willys, is that labour was cheap. I don't know how many times I came across nut and bolt situations, where the nut was on one side of thee panel, bolt on the other, Took two people to loosen or tighten. Every time. First was the back seat armrests on the wheelhouse. What a royal pain.
The lower half of the quarters are off mine, floors out, body blasted and primer/sealed, doing rocker supports (rockers are good), "A" pillar bottoms, outer wheelhouse skins, bottom of tailgate, valence, rear crossmember/support. All apart except for LH rocker and support (on purpose so we can see how it goes back together again).
They were built okay. More spotwelds than you can shake a stick at. I picked this one up from under a Farmer's tree in 75, paint, flathead V8, upgrade trans and rear (8" Ford 3.5:1) sway bars, Mustang II front with r&p, discs, dual master, hydraulic clutch, 5-row radiator. Over 25 years it was my daily shop truck,. hauled about a ton of tools and equipment.
The stainless grille bar was for the "deluxe" versions only. Mine had the six, extra badging, and the bar. Orignally navy blue with white caning you see on chairs painted in the upper side body recess....factory. Mine was a 2-row, never had the third row seating.