• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Tool Rolls......anyone interested?

smcmanus

Jedi Hopeful
My wife, a professional seamstress, has started making tool rolls. I have had various motorcycles and cars with tool kits in a fabric roll and always liked something about it. Maybe because the tools don't rattle about. Does anyone beside me want these things? Available in Canvas or denim in various colors with various colored welting. She could also duplicate your original kit if you have one to use as a pattern. Something like this 8 pocket wrap would cost about $20 delivered in the US.

Thanks to Basil for letting me post this here.

Have a nice day
Steve
smcmanus@mis.net

Attachments

• 9636.jpg
    9636.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 175
  • 9637.jpg
    9637.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 171

mccalebr

Jedi Knight
Now that's nice! Does she have the ability to do a monogram...logo? As an alternative, I suppose a patch could be sewn on.

I'm going to be needing some larger items, like storage bags for non-folding top frame (halves) and storage bags for aluminum/plexi Spridget side curtains. I know that would be custom work, but I could provide a measured drawing.

My guess is that a few pieces done for folks here might spawn a whole new outlet for her.

Ray

OP
S

smcmanus

Jedi Hopeful
For the side curtain bags, a detailed drawing or a cardboard template would be good to start with. I'm not sure what the top half frame is, but a drawing and template would probably work. Custom embroidery is possible. We appreciate your input.

Have a nice day
Steve

mccalebr

Jedi Knight
Sorry about the obscure description..."hood sticks".

The convertible top frame on early Spridgets comes in two halves. It is hinged and when taking down the top (hood) you remove the hood itself, close the top bows together, withdraw the top bow (sticks) from the receivers in the "B" pillars and then pull the two top bow halves apart. You then put them in a bag...if you have one.

Ray

OP
S

smcmanus

Jedi Hopeful
I used to have a Sprite but it must have been a later model. Send me the drawing and we will make a prototype for the sidecurtain bag and the top frame bag. Wpuld it be one bag for both sidecurtains? Natural canvas OK? Would velcro be OK to close the bag?.

Have a nice day
Steve
smcmanus@mis.net

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
The tool roll looks nice -- I looked long and hard to find a good one for my Bugeye tools for the car.

I'd be interested in a side curtain bag as well. I've got the earlier fabric ones for the Bugeye, but they should be roughly the same size as Ray's. Velcro would probably work for a closure, but one of those plastic buckle dohickies might work better.

mccalebr

Jedi Knight
Steve,
I think either individual bags for the side curtains or a double bag (3 layers, outer/sidecurtain/inner/sidecurtain/outer) would work.

Drew, what do you think?

Also, Steve, if someone wanted something a bit fancier, like naugahide, would that be a possibility?

Yes, I think velcro fasteners would be desirable...anything metal might tend to scratch the contents or other items in the trunk.

Ray

OP
S

smcmanus

Jedi Hopeful
"Also, Steve, if someone wanted something a bit fancier, like naugahide, would that be a possibility?"

Yes! We have the machines to do all materials. It would be a matter of putting some together and figuring the cost.

Have a nice day
Steve

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
The 3-layer double bag would be the way to go. That way there's only one bag to deal with. Interior could be lined with a soft felt or cotton flannel to protect the clear material.

My only concern with Velcro is that it eventually looses its ability to stick. I'd rather have some sort of buckle, or even some kind of ties. I'm a fan of the plastic buckles like you get on a backpack... plastic shouldn't pose too much of a risk.

Here's a pic (from an eBay sale) of an original bag just to get us started.

Attachments

• 9700.jpg
    9700.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 173

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I like the idea of the ties too. A workable solution, then.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Just a thought - wouldn't it be better to use a "dark" material? That nice bright material in the first picture would look "dirty" (oily, greasy, etc.) pretty fast ...

T.

OP
S

smcmanus

Jedi Hopeful
All colors are possible. So far we are using black and natural canvas. If there is an original side curtain bag out there, would it be possible to get the measurement from it? I'm sure that's what people would want.

My little Italian bikes came with tool rolls, as did my old MB diesel and some Porsches. Did any LBC's have them from the factory? This would be something we could make.

Thanks again to Basil.

Steve

Cool product, I may have to take to you about one for my BGT's original jack. This is probably a product you could actually sell to Moss, believe or not alot of the products that Moss sells are made by small cottage businesses just like yours.

mccalebr

Jedi Knight
mccalebr said:
... I'll try to get a chance to do a drawing this weekend of the side curtain and stick bags.

I'd be happy to serve as product tester.

Ray

Steve,
I had the grandkids for the weekend and then my task slipped my mind...sorry.

Rather than a drawing I took some photos and measurements for the Sprite/Midget side screen bags. I also brought down the "hood sticks" (convertible top frame) from storage and will do the same for it in the next day or two.

The first shows the overall side screen with the tape measures for reference. Although it looks like the tape doesn't go all the way to the end of the frame on the left side, it really does; that's just distortion in the photo due to the frames not laying flat on the floor because of the mounting brackets.

P1010006.jpg

This next shot is a close up of the dimensions; I'd suggest a rectangular bag with two pockets that are 14" x 30" INSIDE. The extra two inches in the top to bottom measurement (12" + 2" = 14") is to accomodate the two mounting brackes shown in the third photo.

P1010007.jpg

P1010004.jpg

Let me know if you need anything else.

Ray

mccalebr

Jedi Knight
Steve,

What does it matter?

As I mentioned in my prior post, I'd suggest rectangular bags. The top and bottom dimension would be the same; I suggested 30". The two sides would be the same; I suggested 14". These dimensions provide a bit of "wiggle room" especially in the 14" dimension as the bag will need to accomodate the mounting brackets.

From your post I assume you are considering a form fitting design that follows the shape of the sidescreen. I would advise against that idea. Consider that when the sidescreens are deployed it is usually right after the bottom falls out of a cloud. And conversely, as soon as the downpour subsides, it's off to a roadside shoulder to QUICKLY store the screens and get back on the road. The last thing I would want to be doing in either circumstance is trying to figure which screen goes in which pocket and which way.

The slight amount of extra material will certainly by dividends in utility value when the things are used.

my .02

Ray