• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Build log: 2 Brothers and a '59 Frogeye

Talonaer

Whilst this car started life as a MK1 Frogeye and it is tempting to call this a restoration so much will be changed and has had to be replaced that I don't think it is true to the word to call this a restoration.

Approximately 30 years ago (Unfortunately don't have the paperwork on me!) this car was bought by my grandfather when he travelled up the North of England to buy a completely different car....

The Sprite was brought back to the West Country but unfortunately sat in a barn on his farm until August 2011 when it was dragged out to start a fresh project for myself and my little brother....we had no idea what we were getting ourselves into.

Whilst I personally am pretty green behind the ears on this kind of thing my brother had recently finished rebuilding a 1974 Mini Clubman Estate that had been rotting in the barn in a similar state for just as long and my father who lives on the farm has seemingly had one restoration or another on the go since he was 18.
P8114859-2.jpg

First step was to strip her down and assess the damage....
P8114860-3.jpg

P8114868-11.jpg

P8114869-12.jpg

P8114878-21.jpg

P8114861-4.jpg

The result:
P8114865-8.jpg

P8124891-33.jpg

P8124898-40.jpg

(That inner wheel arch? one rivetted piece of ally over mountains of rust, all held together with WaxOil...)

- one body shell that was beyond repair: front chassis members rotten/floors gone/rear bulkhead rotten total along with spring hangers/rear wings an absolute mess: having been repaired at some stage by brazing (?!) [Must get some photos of the old body shell up as it now sits stripped - its not pretty]
- one engine in questionable state: crankshaft journals needing attention/an unknown camshaft/one bruised conrod
- lots of boxes full of bits in all sorts of states.

The Plan:
The construction of a new car using a Wheeler and Davis stage 1 body shell along with Archers Sebring Bonnet/Fibreglass rear +/- doors and using an unusual (Pride and Clarke?) hardtop we have.

The engine had already been heavily modified:
Bored +60.
Fully balanced crank, conrods, fly wheel etc
Hepolite Flat top Pistons (18519's).
After market clutch
3 to 2 to 1 exhaust manifold
High capacity oil pump
unknown performance cam (spider drive so 1970's probably)
To give it a little more go: 12G295 head that has been gas flowed and ported + Pair of HS2's.

The Progress:
P1030291-12.jpg

P1030288-9.jpg

Nelson

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
As I saw it that was nothing more than scrap metal to begin with. I would have never begun a project with what you had. It is looking great. Keep us posted with your progress.

OP
T

Talonaer

Aye its definitely a rebuild rather than a restoration!

The body shell price made it economically viable to do! surprising for a classic car.

Only major pain so far has been getting piston rings for the pistons!

Got one last set off the shelf from APTfast which wasn't even listed on their online system, nothing like chattering to guys in Las Vegas :smile:.

markberry

Jedi Trainee
What do you think about that body shell? I've always been interested in seeing one of those in person. Most of the replacement panels I've bought for my Bugeye restoration have been lacking in some way or another. I've always wondered what kind of quality those Wheeler and Davis body shells are. I think I would have been much better off buying one of those rather than atempting to fix this one piece by piece. Does anyone out there know how they do it? Doesn't it take big, expensive presses, dies and jigs to make all those different panels? I'd like to go over there and see how they make them.

nomad

Yoda
That looks great and thanks for posting it. That may be economical in England but I'll bet that freight to this side of the pond makes it prohibitive. Looks like something I'd like to do with the complete Archers Sebring Sprite body.

Kurt.

DWeeB

Jedi Trainee
Great post. You got a tenacious skill. I'll enjoy following this. Thanks.

OP
T

Talonaer

Been very impressed by the body shell, definitely a lot easier and frankly more cost effective than trying to repair a wreck like we had. I personally haven't seen his yard I am afraid.

There is no way we would have been able to get the shell straight as the only good bits were the front bulkhead and the rear. Literally everything else (Apart from the bonnet which needs some work and will be redone after the Sebring bonnet) was in need of replacing.

Currently half way through painting, will finish the top coats around Easter time when actually back with the car (away studying most of the year) and have the fibreglass rear and bonnet. She's being done in Old English White cellulose :smile:.

@Racingenglishcars "I want a picture link" not sure what that means I'm afraid...

racingenglishcars

Darth Vader
Country flag
Come to think of it, I think you are lucky that the car was in such poor condition. It spared the trouble of deciding how to repair it. Not to mention that doing a rebody is most likely a whole lot faster than welding it up. As for getting it straight, "you aint kiddin". That was a real bear and a lot of time doing mine. I would have liked to go with fiberglass rear, but the rear sheetmetal was the only nearly good part I had.

Yeah, I was just looking for some more pictures of the car. We like pictures.
See my link below "Bugeye rebuild" and the 4 sub-directories.

OP
T

Talonaer

Ah gotcha. Like your pictures! Glad to see someone else went "haven't got a rotisserie, I'll just turn it over and it'll be ok :p" (Admittedly we took the weight so that it didn't put any pressure on the front bulkhead when it was upside down)

Last few pics added to the blog for a bit. Not much will get done over next 3 months I wouldn't think. Bottoms in its stone guard and body colour, engine bay in primer and the tub in top coat. Just waiting for the rest to bond and then will be on the home stretch for the painting. The grey tubing is from when we had the car upside down for finishing the bottom.

Engine rebuild unfortunately got stalled, awaiting some very special little piston rings to arrive before that gets finished off.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Cool pics - I have never seen a Spridget without the trunk (area) before.

Basil

Administrator
Boss
Nice work so far! One favor - when you post pistures, post one or two, then link to the rest. Puttin so many pictures in one post is bogging down the forum for some folks. \

Thanks,

Basil

OP
T

Talonaer

Have moved everything over to:
https://sebringsprite.blogspot.com/
Hopefully that will enable me to keep the decent quality photos up and running!

I would adjust my posts so far but for some reason I don't have the ability to edit the first 2 any more? I take it editing is time limited?

Re:piston rings
Deves would do them but wanted a ridiculous amount for shipping (like more than the rings?!). Hastings also list a set so there are options for the future at least..