• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

BJ8 Voltage Regulator

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
J Eade, a replacement Voltage regulator is easily sourced from any of the common LBC parts suppliers { Healey Haven, Healy Surgeons, Moss Motors or Sports& Classics} and are not considered as expensive items. A universal relacement has been introduced into the market and may require setting up on your car as outlined in the factory manual.--FWIW---Keoke

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/savewave.gif
TH; Did you record the item Number for the control boxes.??---Keoke
OK TH, I found them will check out---Keoke
Still waiting on seller's feedback---Keoke---

OK : Item#4520223005 is not specified for the BJ8. It is an aftermarket part made "Someplace". The yellow sticker indicates it is for use with generators having nominal 25 amp or less outputs.However, I have one on one of my BJ8's and it works fine.

Item#4519931331 is an "NOS" Lucas product made in "England" It will work on the BJ8 and is of the best Quality available today. Very hard to find. So Bobs Your Uncle---FWIW---Keoke

SHG

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Reprising this old voltage regulator thread. Mine blew and fried my battery, and there are plenty of Lucas RB340 regulators around. BUT they come with 30 amps, 25 amps and 22 amps. Which is correct for the BJ8, and does it matter?

As an aside, I learned that it's better to use baking soda to test whether the puddle under the battery is acid than it is to taste it. Sure glad I didn't step in it.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Hi SHG, Yep it Matters. The new Regulator for the BJ8 is specified to be a: NCB 133 rated @ 30 AMP's. It should carry a yellow sticker on it with the number "30" inscribed on the back. Oh you may have to adjust it as specified in the factory shop manual as they are no longer calibrated to a specific generator. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif---Keoke

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/savewave.gif
If the Acid leaked in the car you had better get in there with a LOT of water heavily mixed with Baking soda and clean it out!! Flush the /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif out of it too!- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

AH' it isn't rocket science. If you take the cover off and look inside it will clear things up a bit.- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif U not pose to put no Oat's in there just Baking Soda. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

SHG

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Thanks again, amigo. I read the manual on calibration. I sure hope it doesn't need it, because it all sounded like British to me and I have no idea what they're talking about.

We neutralized the acid by pouring in half a box of Cap't Crunch. Yummmmmmmm.

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Perhaps I am showing my ignorance here but I was under the impression that a voltage regulator did just that--regulated system voltage--essentially shutting the generator on and off to achieve and maintain either a preset or adjustable voltage limit and that any amp rating is simply a limit of how much current it can safely carry, no doubt matched to the generator's output capacity.

SHG

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
That's apparently the problem, as the 30 amps coming back from the generator will fry the regulator if it can only carry 22 amps. I asked Joe Curto about it today, and he told me the 22 amp regulator will last about 10 minutes before it blows. Who knew?

Saw your car in the Flash today. Very nice. I want my car to look like your car when it grows up.

Dave Russell

Yoda - R.I.P
Gold
The earlier Lucas "voltage regulators" , such as the RB106, two relay, are actually called control boxes. They contain a voltage regulator relay & a reverse current cutout relay. These control boxes do not hold tight voltage control like a more modern regulator. Also they contain a shunt winding between terminals "A" & "A1" that varies the voltage somewhat proportionally to the lighting load. The "A1" terminal is reserved only for the lighting circuits. Higher the load, higher the voltage regulating point. (In theory)

Later regulators like the RB340 series, actually somewhat controlled voltage AND current. They contain three relays, voltage regulation, current regulation, & a reverse current cutout. Current control provided some protection from generator overloading. Each different 340 model, 11A, 22A, 25A, & 30A, provided a different current limiting range to better protect the generator & wiring that it was used with.

As others have said, if you are brave enough, the settings can be adjusted somewhat within the various model ranges.
D

Ed_K

Jedi Knight
Scott,
You might want to try an Optima battery when you buy a replacement.
... It is possible that your old battery internally shorted and then started to draw way too much current which may have fried your regulator.... or not. Just another possible failure senerio... Ok Keoke, you can rip me a new one now.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

SHG

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
Ok Keoke, you can rip me a new one now.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Keoke's getting a bit of a reputation around here. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif Actually, I came to the voltage regulator problem through the back door. My old battery went bad and I replaced it. The new battery, within a couple of weeks, was sitting in a puddle of battery acid. "Why" I ask? New battery is not supposed to do this. And so I test the charge and it's around 17, a tad high under the best of circumstances. That's how I discover the issue with the voltage regulator. So I get a new one, but stupid me doesn't realize that my good friend Joseph Lucas uses the same number (RB340) for 4 different parts, because each has different amperage. And naturally, I get the 22 amp model because I need the 30A, and I can never figure out what to get the first time because that would have a negative impact on the economy.

I had a little chat with my old buddy Curto about it yesterday. I gotta tell you guys, the man knows his stuff. He's almost as good as Keoke. I think we should do a show, Iron Mechanic, and let them battle it out. I even volunteer my BJ8 for them to work on. All we need now is a paint guy, and my car, oops, I mean the show, will be great!

By the way Ed, I'm going down to North Cacalaca for the holidays to see my in-laws in Wilmington. Yeah, I can't wait. Yippee! Are you anywhere around there? I may need to find someplace to hide.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Ha, that's what I told my wife while at daughters in Alanta for a week in Oct. Never again, next time I'm going up the road to visit Hap or Tony or something, this place is fine for a couple of days but gets old quick.

Ed_K

Jedi Knight
" By the way Ed, I'm going down to North Cacalaca for the holidays to see my in-laws in Wilmington. Yeah, I can't wait. Yippee! Are you anywhere around there? I may need to find someplace to hide. "

Lets see, I was visiting my in-laws at Smithtown last week.. Ya, we could work out some kind of hide out trade or something
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cowboy.gif
I am two hours west on I-40

SHG

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
" By the way Ed, I'm going down to North Cacalaca for the holidays to see my in-laws in Wilmington. Yeah, I can't wait. Yippee! Are you anywhere around there? I may need to find someplace to hide. "

Lets see, I was visiting my in-laws at Smithtown last week.. Ya, we could work out some kind of hide out trade or something
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cowboy.gif
I am two hours west on I-40

[/ QUOTE ]

ouch. And I'm only 15 minutes away from Smithtown, but the president of our Healey club lives there with his 100M. If only we knew... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif