• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

BJ8 versus BT7 Shroud

J Eade

I have a 64 phase 1 BJ8. Was the front shroud on this model the same as a BT7? Will the grill on my BJ8 fit the opening of the BT7 shroud? Thanks.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
J Eade, I think the only significant change in the front shrowd came with the phase 11 BJ8 cars.---Keoke

stevebn2bj7

Jedi Warrior
No, the shrouds are completely different. The difference in in the windshield and scuttle top area. The BJ8 windshield goes much further forward than the BT7 and the corner area by the door tops has a completely different shape. The front of the shroud is identical though.

BlueRidge1

Jedi Warrior
Didn't bt7's have 2 front parking lamps and bj8
have 4? I think the bt7 is the same as a bn7 and a bn6 and possibly a bn4,but differt than bj7 and bj8. I Think the grill would work. Bob

shorn

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Correct, almost. Early BJ8's had only two parking lamps. The BN4, 6, 7, & BT7 are the same. BJ7 and early BJ8 are the same and the BJ8 from 76138 is different from the BJ7 and early 8.

John_Progess

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
J Eade,
I am restoring a Phase 1 BJ8 also. Would you happen to have the console extension with the hinged lid, mine is missing and I am looking for dimensions,pictures so I can make one. Thanks and have a good day!

John

vette

Darth Vader
Country flag
Hi "J", I think your question is about whether the grills will interchange. I honestly don't know, but there is a good chance that they will. But the shrouds did have differences. Most noticeably is the lights and the bossing out of the sheetmetal for the lights. My BJ7 has two lights on each side,(parking and turnsignal), Many BJ7's only have the one light,as the previous cars, but my lights are not as big around as on the BJ8. They are the smaller size with glass Lucas lens instead of plastic. It is what was called the European version. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

shorn

Jedi Knight
Country flag
John,
On my phase 1 hinged cubby box, it is about 10 3/4 inches long, hinged at the back. It is the same width as the rest of the counsel, about 4 7/8. Measurements are outer dimensions and include the vinyl covering. The top is padded, and sort of semi-circular shaped. the center of the padded top measures about 1 3/4 inch thick. There are two about 1 inch crome hinges at the back, 4 screws in each hinge. The closing mech is just a magnet that clings to a piece of metal at the front of the box. Having trouble posting a picture, but I will email you a couple.

OP
J

J Eade

Thanks to all for their responses. Here's the history behind my question. When I bought my BJ8, the grill surround was missing. Being excited to finally have my dream car, I figured I could obtain the surround and bolt it in. Well, I did find an NOS surround, but the shape of the oval in my shroud does not match the surround. Additionally, the arc (front to rear shape) of the two components off as well. This led to my thinking that the car has an "incorrect" shroud. I have trying to source a used Phase 1 shroud, but so far no luck. Would I better of going with some of the replacement panels and having a body shop fit the surround? Sounds as though I am in for some body work no matter what.

Thanks. J.

shorn

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Hi J.,
I had my phase 1 BJ8 repainted last year. In order to save a few $'s, I took off all the bright work including the grill, and the 2 piece surround. Two months later, when I received the car back from the painter, I was sure the grill surround wasn't going to fit. I couldn't remember exactly how I removed it, and the last thing I wanted to do was scratch the new paint. Well, ultimately, it did fit just fine. Note that the same grill surround fits the Bn7/BT7 from 13751, and the BJ7 and BJ8. Earlier models had the earlier grill. I think I would find someone with a BJ8 and measure/compare their grill opening with yours. If it is the same, perhaps the fitment of the grill surround will become apparent.