• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

BJ8 Dash Panel replacement

Leo_Speichinger

The veneer on my cars dash panels were peeling off so I bought walnut burl replacements and got the old panels out (what a real PIA) but would like some advice. I really need to lower the steering column so the new panel can be put in place without having to worry about scratching it. I undid all of the bolts holding the column in pklace on the underside of the dash along with one bolt on the steering box to frame and still cant get it to drop even a half inch. Will I need to totally disconect it frm the idler arm and remove the other frame bolt to get it to drop away from the dash?

Thanks
Leo

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
The veneer on my cars dash panels were peeling off so I bought walnut burl replacements and got the old panels out (what a real PIA) but would like some advice. I really need to lower the steering column so the new panel can be put in place without having to worry about scratching it. I undid all of the bolts holding the column in pklace on the underside of the dash along with one bolt on the steering box to frame and still cant get it to drop even a half inch. Will I need to totally disconect it frm the idler arm and remove the other frame bolt to get it to drop away from the dash?

Thanks
Leo
Steering wheel off is a must. The hard part was pre-drilling all the holes for the glove box, metal corner brackets and the center switch/heater control panel mountings. I made a template out of 1/8" clear plexiglas from the old dash using a router and drilled the plex and then laid it over the new dash pieces to use as a pre-drill guide.

OP
L

Leo_Speichinger

Is there like a special wrench that is required to get to the water temp fitting on the head? I have a stubby wrench but the open end wont fit in the narrow gap around the nut. The only way I can see is to slice a section out of a socket and make an open end style socket to allow it to be removed. Any body have a solution or how have others removed the temp bulb out of the head. Is there anything on the big healeys that is simple to work on?

Leo

Leo

rjc157

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
yes you could ge a 5/8 socket and cut a wedge out of it or ge a stubby 5/8 wrench and cut a slit in it in order to let the temp wire go throughit will fit

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
Is there like a special wrench that is required to get to the water temp fitting on the head? I have a stubby wrench but the open end wont fit in the narrow gap around the nut. The only way I can see is to slice a section out of a socket and make an open end style socket to allow it to be removed. Any body have a solution or how have others removed the temp bulb out of the head. Is there anything on the big healeys that is simple to work on?

Leo

Leo
The socket is a good solution. You must put a hose clamp around the socket to keep it from spreading when your removing the temp bulb. I've seen a photo of the modified socket and I'm sure womeone will chime in with it.

Coastalman

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Yes, cut out the socket. I used an old sparkplug socket, cut it with a Dremel and it worked just great. Soak the fitting with PB Blaster to make the removal even easier.
Charlie

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
I saw this tool posted on the net a while back to remove the temp sensor bulb.

Attachments

• tempsensortool.jpg
    tempsensortool.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 97

terp83

I recently removed my BJ8's sensor bulb using a narrow-profile open-end wrench from my tool arsenal. I periodicallly applied PB Blaster for about 3 weeks prior to tying to lever out the bulb. I was somewhat surprised at the ease that the bulb was removed, with no damage to the flats. I guess that I was fortunate.