• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

BJ8 3 pt retractable Seat Belts

Lotuswins

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Hello all,

I'm about to purchase/install seat belts in my 67 BJ8, and after investigating past posts on this topic, I can't find any reference to anyone installing a B pillar support, and using the radius arm bolt to anchor the reel mechanism. This should allow the fold down shelf to be used without removing the reels everytime.

I envision the B pillar intermediate support for the shoulder belt having a bracket from the convertible top base over to the trim panel vertical section just to the rear, side of the front seat back and bolt through the trim panel to the seat belt support piece.

Anyone out there try something like this??

Thanks,

BMCinMS

Freshman Member
Country flag
Yes. We used a piece of steel flat bar connected to the original mounting point and extending up to the top of the quarter panel cover. The bar is hidden behind the panel. At the top a hole was drilled through both the bar and the metal part of the panel to mount the shoulder loop. The loop itself is upside down so it sticks up above the interior panel and it is bolted solid so it won't flip over. The retractor reel is mounted just above the radius arm box and a mounting hole is drilled through the wheel arch with a large seat belt mounting washer on the back side to prevent pull out. We used new belts with the nice chrome flip latches and matched the fabric to the interior (red). The result is very strong and most of the force in an accident would be pulling the bar in a straight line. Some additional strengthening could be had by adding another bracket to the top mounting bolts, but the top assist spring and its ear on the frame makes that a complex piece. The belts are extremely comfortable to wear and the chrome buckle hangs conveniently at the top of the B post making it convenient to reach and neat in appearance. No more belt on the floor. I'll try to post some pics.

OP
Lotuswins

Lotuswins

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Thanks, I was hoping someone had done this. I'm looking forward to the pictures, as I thought the panel might bulge out when covering the bolt head for the steel extension bar.

BMCinMS

Freshman Member
Country flag
The car we did this on had the earlier two bolt mount for the shoulder strap. The later single bolt style has a larger "pimple" sticking out and may require some additional panel material removal. Not the vinyl itself, just the backer board. BTW I did make a template of the straps.

Johnny

Darth Vader
Country flag
It's much easier to post pics with your reply on this new software, give it a try! A lot of folks would like to see what you did. Just click on the picture icon above and select the photo from either your computer or url link and that's it.

waiting for your replies....

tonyk

Oh Yes.

Please post pics and any other information. Whilst the inside is stripped out I'd love to do this on mine - and get the rear parcel shelf functioning.

BMCinMS

Freshman Member
Country flag
Here are a couple pics of the installation. All the parts are clear of the fold-down seat and the retractor reel doesn't stick out any further than the radius arm box already does. The belts were ordered with matching reel covers so they blend in better with the interior. The reinforcement bar is just visible in the first shot and is painted grey like the top frame assembly. There is a single 7/16" grade 8 bolt (3/4"long) holding the shoulder loop in place.

IMG_0159.jpgIMG_0161.jpg

CanberraBJ8

Jedi Trainee
Have any of the current forum users tried this? I note the original idea at the top of the tread used the radius arm bolts to fasten the retractor to the body. I've sent a message to BMCinMS but it seems he's not around the forum currently.

Any ideas on how this might have been done? I had thought I could drill a hole in the panel just above the radius arm box, and then place a plate with two holes - one at each end - between the radius arm bolt where it exits the body work on the outside (wheel well) and the hole for the retractor bolt. This would then link the two bolts and use the sheetmetal of the body to give position and strength. However after looking at the area where the bolt from the radius arm exits, i see that the profile of the sheetmetal is rather complicated for fitting a plate over...

OP
Lotuswins

Lotuswins

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Hi Canberra,

I haven't tackled the job as yet, too busy having fun with the car :fat:. I hope to do it sometime, but since the good weather has shown up...well, it will need to wait. One concern of mine was the forces on the intermediate support, the belt anchor should be able to withstand 1600 lb of force in tension from the belt, according to an on line source for belt anchor design (don't quote me, I will double check that before I start this project), and since the intermediate support acts like a pulley, there will be some of the resultant forces pulling the intermediate support downward, as well as in tension. Anyways, I need to design something that will enhance the strength of the sheetmetal in the rear side panels to compensate for these forces.

As for the bolting through the sheetmetal just above the radius arm box, I just thought it was a simple drill and bolt through, possibly with one of the large washers on the outside to reinforce the sheetmetal?

CanberraBJ8

Jedi Trainee
I wonder if it would work ok to put the retractor on the tunnel where the short clasp section attaches and have a slightly adjustable lap/sash section with the adjustment coming from the floor mounting rather than the rear luggage area? That way the luggage won't obstruct adjustment but the lines of force are as standard???

Danne

Bumping an old thread here:smile:

Has anyone been able to fit a 3 point belt in a good way? I would like to have 3 point since I'd like my 8 year old son to ride with me in the car. Any pictures on your solutions would be most appreciated.

/Danne