• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Billet Aluminum Pulleys for on Ebay

Bret

Yoda
Ok I’ll admit that these are kind of pricey. But I wonder what the real HP gains would be?

Water Pump Pulley on Ebay
Crank Pulley on Ebay

They do get points for being kind of cool & would really dress up an engine bay.

What do you guys think?

Bret

Joe Reed

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Probably none. Certainly not enough to be noticeable. Might let the engine rev a tiny bit quicker but, again, it probably wouldn't be measurable. Unlike a aluminum flywheel, the weight saved with those isn't so far from the center of rotation.

But they would look really cool on my car! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Montero65

Freshman Member
I have looked at these, and I am suspicious of other peoples machine work if it is going on my car. I have emailed the seller with some basic questions. He states it is made of "air craft grade" billet aluminum. I have asked what the material actually is that is being used (the number of types of aluminum out there is pretty huge). I've also asked about heat treating, and whether the anodizing is at an extra cost. I would want to be sure if I put these on my car they don't just look good, but that the friction from the belts against the pulley wouldn't wear away at the aluminum. I know it sounds funny, rubber wearing down metal, but I have actually seen rubber belts that wore down aluminum pulleys, leading to belt slippage, and belts breaking.

I agree though, I don't think the performance improvements will be all that much. I'll let you know what response I get from the seller.

maynard

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
The OE crank pulley has a rubber damper ring. What does it do and what would happen if you used the machined pulley without one?

Gunner

Those are in use on Street Rods, and they look great.. I would put them on my TD, but you know... They have to fit the car... I think they would look great on an MGB with a really dressy engine compartment

OP
Bret

Bret

Yoda
Welcome Gunner,

Take a moment to post an introduction to the forum and tell us about yourself. You've joined a great group of folks.

BTW where'd ya get the handle "Gunner"? Where ya in the Corps? If so Semper Fi!

Again welcome aboard!

Cheers!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif
Bret

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Well Maynard, as an absolute worst case you could end up with a broken crankshaft.As a best case you could have some annoying vibration in the car.---FWIW---Keoke

Montero65

Freshman Member
Bret,
I got my email back from the seller. I would consider these to be ok from what I was told. The company is in Canada, but it is an actual machining services company. Please see my email below.

You asked:
"On both this crank pulley and the water pump pulley, you state that they are made from billet aluminum, air craft grade. What is the actual material that is being used on these parts? Is there any heat treatment put into these? Does the anodizing cost anything extra? If I'm considering these, I want to be sure that the friction from the belt on the pulley will not wear away at the aluminum. Thanks."

Lets try and answer all your questions. Aluminum grade. 6061-T6 You do not heat treat aluminum for hardness. Anodizing will cost you more. I will get prices and post them on ebay. As for wear they will wear but not quickly even the cast iron pulley's wear. I have not yet had any problems with these items. If can help you any further feel free to ask as many questions as you like. You can telephone me as well. My office # 403-995-0986. Company is GSM Machinery Services Ltd, Located in Alberta, Canada. Thanks for your enquiry. Geoff Minors

6061-T6 aluminum is pretty good stuff. I would guess these pulleys are made on CNC machines (computer controlled machining equipment). He does mention that anodizing would be extra, but he will post prices. I would consider getting them anodized, even if not in any other colors, just because the anodizing gives a really nice and really hard surface that should last a long time. As for the dampener rings, I don't know much about those. If they are there to keep thing balanced, the originals would not likely work on these pulleys, since these new pulleys are so much lighter.

Just some more info. Might try to find more info on the damper rings before buying for sure though. Hope this helps.

Jon